At a loss...security box cache.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
day 4 scouring a roughly 100x100 ft area for a buried security box. Ive dug up every (even qiestionable)signal within the area. Really wasn't much. Occasional old iron items. Enough to fill my waist pouch 1 time. A hot rock here and there. All of my signals are gone. The ground and weeds are all packed down. I acquired an identical safe case. And with my whites mx7 and simplex plus, both machines are perfectly capable of picking up the lock mechanism at over a foot each machine, one notch down from max sensitivity .
I'm really at a loss and so are those who have buried it. Im running both machines on all metal. If its there....then its alot deeper than described to me.....just shaking my head.over a 10 hr trip here to save the day and I just cant.

Attachments

• 20200929_175248.jpg
    20200929_175248.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 108

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that's the same area you had "map dowsed", so i'd say thats a pretty good indicator, one, nothing is there and two, map dowsing can't be relied upon to find lost treasure.

OP
OP
whistler84

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really looking for a bashing on opinions. Just a helping hand. My shots in the dark or going in blind are run out. Ive reached my machines limits.there is nothing wrong with asking for help when your resources run dry.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really looking for a bashing on opinions. Just a helping hand. My shots in the dark or going in blind are run out. Ive reached my machines limits.there is nothing wrong with asking for help when your resources run dry.

No ones bashing, just being as straight a shooter as i can be so that I don't waste your time.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the story behind the buried lockbox? That would be helpful.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I'm really at a loss and so are those who have buried it. Im running both machines on all metal. If its there....then its alot deeper than described to me.....just shaking my head.over a 10 hr trip here to save the day and I just cant.

Why not build a version of those homemade PVC frame metal detectors people drag behind a riding mower and use to search for meteorites? That will take you a lot deeper than a foot, and the don't look too expensive or difficult to make.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are describing the lock mechanism face down and still detectable at a foot of depth , (and it would drain better that way ,even if wrapped in an attempt to keep it dry) then you tries to locate it at a foot or less depth.

That is not very deep. IF you have been told it is no deeper. Hey , you tried. And it is either not there , or not as described.

100X100 is a lot to probe with a steel rod.
I've failed on a half loaf sized non iron item I buried in half that size of an area.

A two box detector would be next. But you might be chasing something that is more lore than reality.. That is for you to have confirmed though.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe... someone beat you to it. Maybe... it was never there in the fist place. Just options to consider.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get you a farm tractor and a plow. I can turn soil a foot deep and never break a sweat. and do that whole area in very little time.

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a slow grid for another 30 feet or so outside the original search area .

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector shops near you? You might be able to rent a two box or a machine with a bigger loop. Call some of your local pawn shops sometimes they have equipment that's forgotten.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread