Anyone up for an intellectual exercise in cach burying?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crow
  • 1 Post By Crow

Thread: Anyone up for an intellectual exercise in cach burying?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    668 times

Anyone up for an intellectual exercise in cach burying?

The Dutch Schultz stuff got me wondering on how someone could bury a cache of jewels, precious metals and paper money in such a way that it survives 200 - 300 years. Let's say that there is $1 million in cash (100 stacks of $10,000, all $100 bills), and another $4 million in jewels and precious metals. Of course, the jewels and precious metals would have no problem surviving, which means that the paper money is the critical part of the cache.

I don't think that it would as easy as it might seem at first glance. Depending on how you did it there would possibly be rust to deal with. But no matter how you did it there would be moisture of varying degrees, geological forces, erosion, crush stress, etc.

The way I came up with is as follows. First, I'd put the cash in 6" PVC pipe along with a good amount of those desiccant packs. Then I would use PVC glue to fasten end caps to the pipe. At this point the PVC pipe should stay intact and sealed for between 70 and 100 years if it were buried as is. I'd do the same with the jewels and precious metals, though I would probably leave the desiccants out for fear of a chemical reaction with the metals. Once the pipes were all sealed and in front of me I would wrap each of them tightly with a heavy mil garbage bag and use that serial killer's friend known as duct tape to seal the bags as well as possible. I probably wouldn't go with two plastic wraps because any water that got past the outside layer would migrate deeper and deeper into the inner bag. Finally I would put the sealed PVC piped into an iron box of the same gauge as sewer pipe. The method I would use is to put bearing grease several inches deep into the iron box, then continually pack more bearing grease around the PVC pips as I added them to the box. I originally thought of using a large, plastic ice chest, but because of crush stress and ground movement I figured it would break apart after as little as 20 years. I would then seal the lid shut with all weather silicone gel. At this point, the box is pretty much ready to go, but I'd finish it off by covering the entire iron box with a few layers of that Flex Seal liquid that you see in TV commercials. That would give me an iron box that is completely covered with about 3/8" of a rubber coating. I'd find a good spot and bury the chest 3' - 4' deep, and hopefully find a slab rock big enough to cover the top of the chest with a couple inches of overhang on all sides.

I figure the Flex Seal would last at least 2 decades before it began to degrade. 20 years. The cast iron chest should withstand the elements for as long as sewer pipe can last, with is another 80 - 100 years. So let's say we're at 90 years of protection. The bearing grease wouldn't begin to move until the box was sufficiently rusted, and it could only move at the speed of any holes in the iron. The bearing grease would also function as a displacement force against the water, and I figure that would take at least 50 years. 140 years. Once the PVC was exposed it should last another 70 - 100 years, provided it didn't degrade while it was protected. That's 240 years.

Any flaws in that method? What are your ideas on how to do it?
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    5534 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Gidday Middenmonster

Interesting question. I have often wondered myself?

I definitely agree it would not be easy to bury paper money. Because such burying of paper money would only ever be a short term resolution. As the risk of deterioration is high even with the best precautions. Another factor is paper money can become obsolete. So the value of the currency may fall from its market value. Damaged paper bill do not have much value.

Here is case in question of old paper money buried in plastic container with plastic and paper wrapping in the early 1990s in Australia found recently. By 1998 all Australian banknotes were issued in plastic and Australia became the first country in the world to convert from a paper-based banknote currency to a polymer-based one. Thus paper money became obsolete.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1881795

Name:	8.JPG 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	1881797

Name:	3.JPG 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	1881801

As you can see a plastic container wrapped in plastic to make it extra water tight. Plastic wrapped around the money inside the container. Yet moisture within the container allowed humidity and paper decaying mold to form.

Yet you can see the deterioration after only 30 years.

Your method seems good but I would add I would place the money in sealed plastic bags and vacuum seal them thus removing any potential moisture air within the final plastic wrapping of the money.

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Yesterday at 07:46 PM.
    Nitric likes this.

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6200 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I know you wanted thought in this...I don't have much of that...But my very first thought. Convert the paper to gold and silver. I'd be worried the cash would become worthless. I doubt gold and silver will become worthless. I also wonder.....If burying cash in a place where temp is fairly consistent would help.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    5534 times
    Pablo Escobar buried American currency drug money was better preserved. Because the cash was in bunches in plastic bags in seal-able water tight plastic drum. Both caches was buried for a similar time frame.

Name:	pablo escobar buried money.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1881857

Each caches give a valuable lesson on what to do and what not to do. In any exercise in planing to bury paper currency.

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Today at 01:27 AM.
    Nitric likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    5534 times
    Looking at know case studies gives you some references in what works and what does not?

The case of buried money in South Africa proceeds from an armed car heist.

Name:	south africa cash in a trunk.jpg 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1881858

The money was buried in A trunk wrapped in black plastic garbage bags. Yet the time actually in the ground was not long even so you can see the process of deterioration.

Name:	cash in truch robbery south africa.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1881859

Crow

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    5534 times
    In the following case amigos.

Money ( US DOLLARS) was hidden hurriedly in an extreme circumstances during a Nigerian graft investigation in a grave . The corrupt official had hide money quickly with little preparation or thought into hiding the paper money. As you can see below. In that situation the money would deteriorate very quickly if moisture had entered the grave.

Name:	EFCC-cemetary-11 nigeria.jpg 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	1881860

Crow

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links