Irvine, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
buy a good used $500 one,not sure what one,i only have whites and they are gone now

brad

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Nokta Simplex $254.00. 5 star rating. Waterproof, rechargeable, updateable, backlight etc etc. These thing has features and performance that cost 1000's or didn't even exist on many detectors 5 years ago.
buy a good used $500 one,not sure what one,i only have whites and they are gone now

These comments give rise to an interesting question: Are "modern" metal detectors, i.e. those designed in the last 5-10 years significantly better than those designed in the last 10-20 years? And if so, how much better are they? It seems like it would come down to three things: Better coil technology, better discrimination and better bells and whistles. I'd be a bit surprised if coil technology has somehow changed that significantly, though things like better waterproofing and manufacture could be the case. But when it comes to the technology of discrimination, I could see that being light years beyond what it was 10+ years ago. Is that the case? And as far as bells and whistles, some may be worth it, but others might be gimmicks--like the app that sends your phone an alert, along with sending all your personal information (not to mention treasure information) to the app owner "to enhance your treasure hunting experience."

OP
OP
M

mapit

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2021
Irvine, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this recommendation. I ordered the Nokta with wireless headphones yesterday, along with a pinpointer. Looking forward to some digs.

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't detect very much, now. BUT, of all my detectors, the one I have found the most valuables with, is my Tesoro Compadre !

Same here. When I started, the first couple years I toted a Umax and then an Outlaw. Just about all my favorite finds came out using those two. I then started “upgrading” and the better stuff seemed to dry up. It’s not due to running out of places to hunt. I firmly believe that putting my faith in tones and displays has caused me to skip over a lot of stuff. It’s like the folk that say “dig everything” in a way. I believe the Tesoros had me digging things that the higher dollar detectors would lead me to pass on. I actually have just bought back my old Outlaw, haven’t done any serious detecting yet, but just taking it out in the yard has made me realize how fun the thing actually was.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
One time several of us were detecting together, & I was using the Compadre. I found a small gold chain, & a large Silver Figaro bracelet that they had gone right over. They couldn't believe it. I put each item in my hand & ran it under their detectors. Neither one of their expensive detectors hit on it. One guy adjusted his trying to make it get a signal on the gold, & it would not. Compadre's sold for $160 new with lifetime warranty. I have a Tesoro Bandito, too, that picks up the little gold items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread