Best Detector Under $200
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By GoDeep
  • 1 Post By angelito1
  • 1 Post By 1637
  • 3 Post By angelito1
  • 2 Post By mapit
  • 1 Post By bufaloeletric
  • 1 Post By CaptEsteban
  • 1 Post By CaptEsteban

Thread: Best Detector Under $200

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2021
    Irvine, CA
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Post Best Detector Under $200

Hi, I am new here to the site and was hoping I could get suggestions for the best metal detector under $200. I am interested in detecting mostly inland but if there is are good hybrid for beach hunts too, that would be great. Please feel free to list just one or a few. Thank you!

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3468 times
    Nokta Simplex $254.00. 5 star rating. Waterproof, rechargeable, updateable, backlight etc etc. These thing has features and performance that cost 1000's or didn't even exist on many detectors 5 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokta-Makro-S...9618334&sr=8-3
    Last edited by GoDeep; Aug 22, 2021 at 02:51 AM.
    US Army, Operation Desert Storm, 1987-1993. Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2016
    FLA
    1091 times
    Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    mapit likes this.
    Cat-like reflexes with a sloth-like brain

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1902 times
    buy a good used $500 one,not sure what one,i only have whites and they are gone now

brad
    Last edited by 1637; Aug 22, 2021 at 04:04 PM.
    mapit likes this.

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    Nokta Simplex $254.00. 5 star rating. Waterproof, rechargeable, updateable, backlight etc etc. These thing has features and performance that cost 1000's or didn't even exist on many detectors 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1637 View Post
    buy a good used $500 one,not sure what one,i only have whites and they are gone now
    These comments give rise to an interesting question: Are "modern" metal detectors, i.e. those designed in the last 5-10 years significantly better than those designed in the last 10-20 years? And if so, how much better are they? It seems like it would come down to three things: Better coil technology, better discrimination and better bells and whistles. I'd be a bit surprised if coil technology has somehow changed that significantly, though things like better waterproofing and manufacture could be the case. But when it comes to the technology of discrimination, I could see that being light years beyond what it was 10+ years ago. Is that the case? And as far as bells and whistles, some may be worth it, but others might be gimmicks--like the app that sends your phone an alert, along with sending all your personal information (not to mention treasure information) to the app owner "to enhance your treasure hunting experience."
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2016
    FLA
    1091 times
    Vanquish 340 if you're keeping it under $200
    solx nys, Terry Soloman and mapit like this.
    Cat-like reflexes with a sloth-like brain

Aug 2021
    Irvine, CA
    9 times
    Thank you! I really appreciate the info.

Aug 2021
    Irvine, CA
    9 times
    Thank you!

Aug 2021
    Irvine, CA
    9 times
    Thanks for this recommendation. I ordered the Nokta with wireless headphones yesterday, along with a pinpointer. Looking forward to some digs.
    1637 and Terry Soloman like this.

Oct 2012
    Virginia
    Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
    157 times
    A used Tesoro. Bells and whistles are over rated. Should be able to find a Silver Umax.
    3cylbill likes this.

us
    Jul 2011
    878 times
    I don't detect very much, now. BUT, of all my detectors, the one I have found the most valuables with, is my Tesoro Compadre !
    angelito1 likes this.

Oct 2012
    Virginia
    Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptEsteban View Post
    I don't detect very much, now. BUT, of all my detectors, the one I have found the most valuables with, is my Tesoro Compadre !
    Same here. When I started, the first couple years I toted a Umax and then an Outlaw. Just about all my favorite finds came out using those two. I then started “upgrading” and the better stuff seemed to dry up. It’s not due to running out of places to hunt. I firmly believe that putting my faith in tones and displays has caused me to skip over a lot of stuff. It’s like the folk that say “dig everything” in a way. I believe the Tesoros had me digging things that the higher dollar detectors would lead me to pass on. I actually have just bought back my old Outlaw, haven’t done any serious detecting yet, but just taking it out in the yard has made me realize how fun the thing actually was.

us
    Jul 2011
    878 times
    One time several of us were detecting together, & I was using the Compadre. I found a small gold chain, & a large Silver Figaro bracelet that they had gone right over. They couldn't believe it. I put each item in my hand & ran it under their detectors. Neither one of their expensive detectors hit on it. One guy adjusted his trying to make it get a signal on the gold, & it would not. Compadre's sold for $160 new with lifetime warranty. I have a Tesoro Bandito, too, that picks up the little gold items.
    Richard Guy likes this.

Sponsored Links