Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dents run gold bars ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    danl311

Dents run gold bars ?

I noticed some of you had posted some information under another topic of the Dents run gold bars. Ive been doing some research and plan to make a trip out that way this summer. Did anyone here of the theory that some clues and/or a possible message and/or map showed up in Caledonia wich is about 13 miles from Dents run.

us
    Detecting Don

Apr 2005
    Olathe, KS
    Minelab SE PRO
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Dents run gold bars ?

where is Dents run?? Or Caledonia?
    Read my stories and see my Metal Detecting videos at:
    http://www.detectingdon.com

danl311

Its in the Appalacian mountain area of Western Pennsylvania

Mar 2005
    4 times

and a caledonia in western Newyork also

stonewall

dents run is near caledonia state park pennsylvania about 12 miles from my home.

stonewall

The gold bars were part of a union payroll of 26 gold bars. each weighing 50 pounds each they were placed in bottom of the wagon. wagon and mules were found with several dead bodies no gold though. pinkerton detectives never found any leads only one survivor of wagon but he was never connected to any blame there is no treasure map to this story. but i do believe its a true one though. these mountains are thick with lots of old trails. been searching on this one for 2 years.

aquabob

Oops, wrong Dents run, I was thinking you were talking about Dents run up in Elk, or Potter county.....Franklin county makes more "cents"...... with the Union payroll story. 1300 lbs of gold surely wasn't "walking" away from that ambush site. Good Luck in your search stonewall. I am outside of Harrisburg, not too very far from you.

Dec 2004

caledonia is in scotland on the west coast. i ve been there.

PAcamper

Please don't take this as offense but - you people don't know what you are talking about! The Civil War gold mentioned when this post began is belived to be somewhere by Dents Run,PA. That means it would probably be in either Elk or Cameron County. Caledonia has nothing to do with it anyway. Im sorry to have come off in a mean tone. I have a cabin along Dents Run. Please reply.

[shadow=red,left]Thanks!

aquabob

pacamper...........people will definitely take offense, when you start out a reply with "you people don't know what you are talking about"..........as you can see by kaatu's response to you......

I didn't start this thread, and as I stated in my post earlier, I thought that the dents run that was in question is on the border of Elk, and Cameron counties, near the town of Benezette. I am quite familiar with that "dens run" as that is where I grew up hunting deer,
    Stonewall is the one that posted that dents run is 12 miles from his home in Caledonia, Who am I to question someone that knows of a dents run 12 miles from their home....I have never heard of a lost shipment of gold in the dents run in Elk county where I hunt, so I was assuming that since Gettysburg is near Franklin county, that their was obviously another "dents run" in Franklin county that I never heard of. Caledonia State Park is just West of Gettysburg on Rt. 30, so Stonewall must be searching a "dents run" that is local to him. Their are lots of little "runs" in PA, and not all are on a map. The PA Atlas and Gazateer lists dents run as being in Elk/Cameron Co.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    20732 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

For those intrested "United States Treasure Atlas" lists, in 1865 During the Civil War, 26 Gold Bars each Weighing 50 lbs.
    in "HICK'S RUN" Elk County. The U.S. army Found Dead Army Mules near "DENTS RUN" just off Hwy. 555 in "ELK COUNTY"

? one source claims 2 1/2 bars were recovered in 1865 '

? in 1876, a survey crew found bones of 3 - 5 humans, scattered in the area of a spring.

Sorry Not gonna Give TOO many Details here. I'm not Giving up on this one yet.

Deckguy likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    20732 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

? ? ? Can you Explain Cornelius ? ? ?

Forgive me If I'm Thick

Feb 2005
    Tucson, Arizona
    White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
    4 times

Those fifty pounders must be handled by CERTIFIED union forklift operators, I am sure!

It's funny how close this gold bar story is to one in S.E. AZ., and I'm not giving up either
    Hey! Who invited the hockey player?

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    20732 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonster
    Those fifty pounders must be handled by CERTIFIED union forklift operators, I am sure!
    ? I told you I was Thick? I read the Word "UNION" & thought Civil War :lol

"It's funny how close this gold bar story is to one in S.E. AZ., and I'm not giving up either "
    ? Yes, That's a Problem too.

? ?Off Subject Sort Of :

? ? ? ? ? ? In almost every area History here in Pa.
    ? ? ? ? ? ? In Reference to the French & Indian War,
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ?They All Quote A story Of A Young Girl Being
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Taken By the Indians, and her amazing Return
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Word For Word. the Only Difference is The
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Where she was From.
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?It seems Everyone Wants an Amazing Tale to Tell.
    In their History Book.

? ?This Is What Makes Research so Slow.
    ?

whites6000inPa

I think the average person would be surprised at just how small a 50 pound gold bar would be. I always chuckle when I see movies where people are lugging supposed "gold bars"....movie props. Gold is very heavy, and a cubic foot of gold weighs a bit over 1400 pounds. The whole cache of 26 bars would be less than a cubic foot of gold in total mass....by a little over a hundred pounds. If somebody wanted to crunch the numbers, they could probably come up with a rough approximation of the size of one of the bars. My guess is that they won't be found in one place.

My step-dad had a hunting camp on Winslow hill , about 6 miles up the mountain from Benezette, and I've pulled a few native brook trout from the Dent's run area and hunted Shafer Draft and Bell Draft. This story has always fascinated me.

It would be grand to find such a treasure, but I'll probably keep my hunting closer to home here in Greene County Pa.

Wyatt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links