were r they located?

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
ive heard of caches in chiken coops and so on but how would u find those ones with a tector.and 4 the ones underground were should i search? theres the remains of pioneer settlements all over the place. i live in the cassville/white area and like theres an old chimney not far down the road so im gunna ask the property owner if i can hunt it. so im just wondering about were theyre located and what not. ??? help me!!!!!!!!!!!

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we knew the answer to this question...we would all be successful treasure hunters and there would be none left to find...i know that you are asking for help but it would be easier to ask..Where are there not caches hidden? I suspect that at one time or another all places have been used to hide a stash...question is, were the owners able to retrieve it before they died, or were they able to tell someone of its where abouts....Start by the chimney down the road, next to the foundation, anything that could have been used as a marker when it was hidden...trees, fencepost, a tincan nailed over a hold in an outbuilding...the possibilities are endless. Use your imagination....think outside the box...and good luck....Steve

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
I've never found one, but if I were to make a cache, it would have to have the following characteristics:

1. It would have to be in a place where I could access it without being observed.
2. It would have to be in a place where I would not be noticed coming and going, that is, a place I would frequent anyway.
3. It would have to be in a place that other people did not frequent, and could not come and go unnoticed.
4. It would have to be easily accessed for deposits and withdrawls.
5. It would not necessarily be buried.

Thus, under the anvil in the barn, in the rafters in the chicken coop, behind a loose stone in the fireplace (inside the house, and not in the firebox) and thousands of other places would be suitable locations.

K

Kentucky Kache

I would read up on my local history. You might find one of those places has a treasure story attached to it. Then search EVERYWHERE!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try your local library! I've gotten tons of info from the librarians, most seem very eager to help. Next I'd try any historical societies that are in the area. Should be able to pick up a ton of info with little effort. Hope that helps ya :)

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Believe me there is more there. There will be at least one Privy, which could be a gold mine. Possible cach and definitely old bottles. Take a leaf blower and clean the immediate area up. Then, the lay of the land will reveal more to you. Dig Dig every signal, no matter how weak. One copper Indian bracelet will more than pay for your sweat. My Grandmother was Cherokee, and was born on the Reservation in the 1880s. If you do not have success, email me. HAVE DETECTORS WILL TRAVEL.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Try your local library! I've gotten tons of info from the librarians, most seem very eager to help. Next I'd try any historical societies that are in the area. Should be able to pick up a ton of info with little effort. Hope that helps ya :)

This is good advise and I'll add a little more to it: DON'T MENTION THE WORDS / PHRASES, TREASURE HUNTING; METAL DETECTING; or any other similar words. These words, too often turn librarians and historians against you. Use the cover of historical research for school projects (this works for folks in grade schools on up through college level). Or genealogy research. Genealogy is a fast growing hobby that librarians and historians love to honor. Then take tons of notes. You never know when a small, insignificant sounding bit of info will hold a "key" to furthering research. As you gain experience, good ole common sense will play a larger roll.

About that chimney--Check under the hearth stone; scan the bricks / stones that were accessible when the house was lived in for loose fitting. Be aware that chimneys usually have heavy metal plates set in to support the first row of bricks / stones that form the top of the firebox opening. Be VERY careful in searching the INSIDE of the firebox--snakes, etc. could be there, especially up on the shelf above the damper plate. There have been a lot of caches found on that shelf in old chimneys around the world. You see, the heat from the fires burning in the chimney's firebox will blow past that shelf fast enough to NOT burn the contents of a light metal box (such as a small tackle box or tobacco tin). A lot of people ignore that shelf because they think that anything INSIDE the chimney would be burned and ruined. NOT SO.

Good luck and good hunting. :)

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ace that is a great spot to search. I would ask the property owner for sure to have a crack at it. I always walked around a bit and get a plan together on how I want to hunt a site. I have used string to give me a grid to ensure I stay within it till done. And set aother bordering where I was. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread