Shaking down an old farmhouse soon!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For anything I can find! I'm particularly interested in finding a cache! Unfortunately, I won't be able to begin my search till this weekend since I won't have my detector till Wednesday. I plan to take a few days to familiarize myself with it, then just go dig everything! I know I'm gonna be busy digging trash, but I'm going to start looking where I think there may be caches before I begin searching the homesite. Since I have a landscaping business, I'm not scared to dig and get dirty-that helps I hope!!

There is one thing odd about the site. I'll post a pic later, but I noticed a hump while I was exploring the property. The back 'yard' slopes away from the house gently, and then off to one side a bit more sharply. There is an odd hump along the side of the slope with a depression, and when I looked at it, I noticed timbers were placed in such a way that suggests an opening. It's probably an old storm shelter, but I guess it could be just about anything? It will take some digging to know for sure, not to mention the cedar tree that is growing almost right at the 'entrance'. Also there's an active coyote den in there because I've seen the hair and recent turned dirt. I'm not scared of the coyotes but certainly don't want to dig 'em up either! LOL!

I'll post a pic later and I'm hoping somebody will have some idea of just what the heck it is. There is also an old outhouse that is still standing. Actually it's sort of held up by trees that have grown around it. Not too sure I'm wanting to dig that up though..

House-wise, I can't be too sure about the age, but I do know that it's been picked over since there are no doorknobs or anything that might be valuable. I don't know whether it's ever been detected or not though. I'll check everywhere I can, but the structure itself is pretty rickety and kinda gave me the willies about falling through the floor!

K

Kentucky Kache

I hope you find goodies. Can't wait to see them.

S

stefen

Depression could be most anything, possibly a septic system...

As for the coyote den, go to the local zoo and get some mountain lion crap or urine and mark the entrance...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're lucky the mound might be the trash dump Whoo Hoo! Could possibly be tons of good collectible bottles! With an outhouse thrown in to boot! You may have hit the mother lode!!!!

Sounds gross :o, but you don't need to go to the Zoo, just urinate around the opening to the den and where you can see where they are entering from. They don't really like being in close proximity to humans and will evacuate. I've used this to keep em out of camp in Arizona & California. I guess the way things are going in Ca. You'd need to have HAZMAT ,State, county, city officials there to take samples & collect the fees! :)

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well I got my Tesoro last night and can't WAIT to hit that property this weekend!! I'll take some pics, wizz on the coyote holes, and dig up everything that beeps!! Maybe I'll even find something cool!

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Went out this morning and dug up.....NOTHING but iron! LOL! Well, I can't feel bad since it was my FIRST outing. That and my first time to use a detector. Which I've only had for a few days... HA! What I did learn was that my Silver Umax will discriminate small iron, but not big stuff like bits of old plows, etc! Shotgun shells, nails, bits of wire, all NO problem for the Umax, even at around 6" for the shotty! I also found out this detecting thing is work. Stuff just doesn't jump out of the ground! I'm not discouraged, but wish I'd found something other than junk!

One thing I had not counted on for cache searches is how much undergrowth is around the old big trees. That was a little work. But hey, I recycled by cutting some of it out and attaching to the duck blind on the pond. Y'know, the whole recycle thing!

Well, I'll be hitting it again possibly tomorrow. I plan to focus mainly around the house this time, and I'm ready to dig nails if need be! I just KNOW there's a coin of some type waiting for me!! Hopefully more than one.. I'll remember to take the camera this time and post pics next time. Sorry about that!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Post a frontal photo of the house. The style of the house will often reveal the general age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread