treasure-prospector

Jan 10, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP
SWR said:
treasure-prospector said:
SWR said:
We would have all lost-out if Mel Fisher did not record his historic recoveries, and if he would have sold his finds on the blackmarket.

How much did he lost to the govt? 30% ???

In the big scope of things...even if Mel was only allowed to keep 10% and had to give the Government 90%...that is what, $50 million dollars? ::)

That's not what counts. IF someone does the work, spendt his money and time,...... that's govt. piracy, not less and not more.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
acedigger said:
tonytygr said:
the same way you would eat an elephant, a little at a time. I have sold a silver bar to a coin dealer and there was no problem.

I guess thats true. I was just thinking, if you found a 20 lb bar of gold it would be real hard to get rid of. A cache of coins could be sold pretty undectable.

A few nugget shaped molds and an assayers furnace can do wonders for a gold bar. Then you go into gold country and sell your nuggets to the tourist.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
In England, if you find something old, you must turn it to the government.
Then if they decide to keep it, they will pay the finder the fair market value of the find, if not, the finder gets the stuff back.
Here, all is rules and regulations.
And I mean everything you do, from going to the beach after dark to looking for meteorites in "public lands".

The problem is that the politicians in this country have no common sense.
Yet we keep electing them over and over.
It is our own fault.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBAY ;D ;D ;D Call it Gold in a Jar

Mexico, but you have to know someone you can trust or you might get killed over it.

Then there are always private collectors, you won't get melt value for it but I am sure its more than you would get from the gov.

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I think that if I was to find a large cache of gold/silver bars I would stay quite and possibly rebury it while I figured out what to do with it. I would also contact an attorney that dealt with such finds. Since they have to act under confidentiality agreements one would be safe. (I think?)
Anyways I would definately take my time. Even if it took months or years to get it taken care of it might be worth it in the end.

Like someone said earlier, it may be simpler to just pay the tax and be done with it. After all taxes were paid you would still have plenty of money.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
How about this for a solution....? ???
Have a "Buyer" who's been in business for about 35 yrs
Who pays in US Dollars, So. African Gold Dollars or wire transfers , etc..
Who deals in strict confidence.... :-X
AND!
Can handle transactions in the millions!
Sure is a lot less work then some of these above ideas! ::)
BUT!
Then, I always was a little on the laid back side! ;D

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
SWR:
You mentioned
"Let the Govt keep 90 %"
And!
That Mel should be happy with 10%
Let me ask you
Do you know what it cost MEL to find that ship??
AND!
I am not talking about how much money it cost him
I am referring to the cost in LIVES ! :-\
10%
He77!
That's more than the Govt should get ! :-\
It cost MEL his SON! , his Daugther in law & a co-worker !
That's pretty darn steep!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR Duh? The Atocha thingie while in this case, hypothetical, still does not include the years and money to find it. Also an operation like this isn't as bed of roses.

But most important, you mention $10,000,000 as a nice tidy sum, which it is, but after paying the investors, outstanding expenses, etc ., just how much actual usable cash would remain in his families pocket to compensate for 10 + years of hard work?

If for example, they managed to retain 30%, say $3,000,000 / 30% + tax, = $2,000,000. (aprox.) This divided by 10+ years equals $200,000 a year among them. if three are involved ,that comes around $ 66,000 each per year, BEFORE other personal income taxes. Again this is subject to being crudely hypothetical, but I tend to believe that his shop in Calif was making more than this for them..

Based upon this factor, I rather suspect that the entire Fleet and the Atocha would still be under the sand and coral IF only this much could be realized. Any further explorations would soon cease.

Obviously I am not up on US taxes in such a situation, but the above serves to crudely, and basically to show my trend of thought.

" YOU TAKE THE RISK, YOU SHOULD TAKE THE PROFITS", if we don't follow this , all future recoveries , which do add to the overall benifit of the US, will quickly dry up. Why go for an unknown, and a rough, uncomfortable life when you can have a nice secure 8-5 job and a comfortable home, unless you are compensated for it.

For minor shore recoveries by small diving businesses, , or small caches, which never will amount to much, the standard tax setup is ok and fair in so far as our tax setup can be..

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. For your information, Uncle has a law that you MUST declare any amount of money / values over $10,000 that you are taking out of the US, and further requires you to state any and all foreign bank etc., accounts that you may have.

In addition, most banks in the world, incluiding Swiss, are pressured to report any funds that a US citizen has in their account. Thank the Patriot Act and money laundering for this.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Sorry guys I had to step back into this thread just to say that although the Swiss have made some concessions as of late towards revealing where stolen funds from the WWII ended up those are the only concessions they've made. Their banking privacy laws remain intact and are even more so now due to 911 and the patriot act. The same is true of Banks in the Cayman Islands.

As for SWRs contentions they are just his opinions which are indicative of him personally. He's entitled to having an opinion just as much as the next guy. Although I must say SWR your latest argument seems a little lacking in facts and figure that your normally so well known for. Maybe you'd care to supply some references to support your current contentions. :D :D :D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning MD DOG: I have probably the smallest account possible in the Union bank of Switzerland. What you have said is correct. They do not normally disclose the basic data in an account, however, they will do so if the US simply says "this man is under investigation of laundering, terrorism, of drugs, or actually almost anything . and the spigot is opened on the account.

Incidentally, simple tax evasion is not a sufficient reason, but can easily be bypassed by the above..

Don Jose d e La Mancha

p.s. Extreme pressure is being brought to list "ALL" US citizens that have accounts in any of the Banks there, again in the guise of unknown terrorist activity leads. You MUST declare nationality when opening an account. No. (#) account , so popular in novels, do not exist any more for all practical purposes.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
A couple of years ago I almost got a job in Africa. It was to pay a very large salary through an international Co-op set up in an african nation. They were going to help us set up anonomous numbered accounts in Switzerland. The bank that I was going to deal with was going to issue me a debit card through VISA that was tied to the account. The debit card had only numbers on it. No name. I think it had some bank type logo where the name is.That way I could access my money anytime I needed it. I could decare that I made however much I wanted since there was no tie to any U.S. company in the deal. The deal fell through, and here I am still working for a living. I guess I need to get out and find a cache too. But the numbered accounts do exist. At least they did four years ago. If you could get it(a cache) a foriegn safe bank. Sell it and use one of these accounts.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I would do if I found some large cache of gold.
1. Make sure I wasn't followed!
2. Keep my mouth shut!
3. Rebury it!
4. If I knew of a possibility that the government would take it from me about 100% or even 50% I would melt it down regardless. Lets say the value of, (example) gold ingot's totaling $300,000,000 unmelted in original form found. After melting it's value becomes $50,000,000! Heck either way I still come out ahead. I wouldn't live 5 lifetimes to spend that much money!
5. I don't mind paying taxes and if the government takes the treasures from the finders, then I think the finder needs to say to the government, OK, you take the treasure, well here is my bill for $500,000,000 finders fees and you, (government) needs to pay me within 24 hours!

Then I wouldn't mind them taking the treasure after they paid me the $500,000,000 finders fee I opposed on them!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HO Youposted --->

going to issue me a debit card through VISA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visa is an American Co. under Uncle's thumb, sooooo, any type of a Visa card issued by the Swiss Bank would be a red flag for Uncle and the data made available to him ?? hmmmmm The Banks themselves issue debit cards, but most businesses do not recognize them .i.e a resturant or hotel, however this is no problem

The main problem is to get the cash first heheeheheh. Remember, the Swiss banks still do not recognize simple "income tax evasion" as a reason to reveal details., but this is easiy circumvented.

Don Jose de La Mancha

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I can't wait to find one of these fantastic hordes! That way I can get paranoid and full of worry that you all talk about.

treasuretopsites

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
I have been an historical researcher for almost 30 years.

I stumbled on some information that I have NOT been able to discount. It is thousands of dollars in gold coins from the late 1800's buried on a farm in the midwest. Through painstaking research all the facts have been proven true, Including who, what, why, where, and the fact that no relatives could ever find it.

There is no doubt about it's exsistence, and the probably that it was found is very, very slim.

What I have read here is that it would be illegal for me to poccess it or try to sell the coins. I sure wouldn't want to melt down a bunch of American Gold Eagles in order to sell them! And I wouldn't want them sold in another country.

I am now going to have to check the laws thoughly because I have my doubts that it would be illegal for me to sell. You can buy and sell on eBay right now. Naturally Coin collecctors buy and sell. They are also sold regularly at auctions.

How could this be illegal?

I would be more than happy to pay the taxes leagally and live happily ever after.

I have to believe that it is perfectly legal to sell collector gold coins?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasuretopsites said:
I have been an historical researcher for almost 30 years.

I stumbled on some information that I have NOT been able to discount. It is thousands of dollars in gold coins from the late 1800's buried on a farm in the midwest. Through painstaking research all the facts have been proven true, Including who, what, why, where, and the fact that no relatives could ever find it.

There is no doubt about it's exsistence, and the probably that it was found is very, very slim.

What I have read here is that it would be illegal for me to poccess it or try to sell the coins. I sure wouldn't want to melt down a bunch of American Gold Eagles in order to sell them! And I wouldn't want them sold in another country.

I am now going to have to check the laws thoughly because I have my doubts that it would be illegal for me to sell. You can buy and sell on eBay right now. Naturally Coin collecctors buy and sell. They are also sold regularly at auctions.

How could this be illegal?

I would be more than happy to pay the taxes leagally and live happily ever after.

I have to believe that it is perfectly legal to sell collector gold coins?

Unless you have a POLITICIAN in your pocket, you can find it but Ole Uncle Sam will find a way to take it from you once you dig it up! Just research those who have found treasure/cache and told the government and see that Unlce Sam RAPED them from it!

As several keep stating in the forums, FDRKMS, (Find, Dig, Recover, KEEP MOUTH SHUT!)

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Real de Tayopa said:
Good Morning MD DOG: I have probably the smallest account possible in the Union bank of Switzerland. What you have said is correct. They do not normally disclose the basic data in an account, however, they will do so if the US simply says "this man is under investigation of laundering, terrorism, of drugs, or actually almost anything . and the spigot is opened on the account.

Incidentally, simple tax evasion is not a sufficient reason, but can easily be bypassed by the above..

Don Jose d e La Mancha

p.s. Extreme pressure is being brought to list "ALL" US citizens that have accounts in any of the Banks there, again in the guise of unknown terrorist activity leads. You MUST declare nationality when opening an account. No. (#) account , so popular in novels, do not exist any more for all practical purposes.

Hi Don been awhile since you and I conversed. As for the offshore accts, I take the fifth. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread