gold cache

Metal_One

Feb 7, 2008

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Oh im sure. I just watched a show on Jessie James, and a guy actually found one of his stashes of loot with a metal detector. Was pretty cool, makes ya have some good dreams of detecting, lol.

K

Kentucky Kache

Probably not many caches out there of that size, but I think there are many smaller caches yet to be found. Yeah, they DO exist.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Metal_One, welcome to TreasureNet! You can use the alleged size of the cache to calibrate your bullsh*t detector. Tobacco tin = fairly common. Mason Jar (not necessarily full) = still common. Saddlebag = possible. $100,000, $1,000,000, a ton of gold, etc, etc = BS detector screaming!

Welcome & Happy Hunting

Chip V.

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Exactly, it's the old small stashes of coins/money that no one ever knew about that are buried around old burned down civil war or older homesites. You know where both people died/were killed or one was burying money the other didn't know about? Those are around more than one would think.......

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Several people I know personally have found some substantial caches....done after a lot of researching and sluething....so they are out there.....more easy to find are as mentioned are the homesteaders or settlers personal caches ....

Welcome to Tnet

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I would think there are a few out there but I also think the real life chances of finding one is slim at best .
I also don't think there are near as many as some people seem to to think there is . Kind of like fishing
tales , the one that got away , the more times it gets told the bigger it gets . Also when it comes to
treasure tales some people seem to have the need to have some inside information on a great treasure .
At least they want other people to think they do . Some people even state that they know exactly where
great treasures are located but for various reasons they can't retrieve them . These tales make interesting
reading . Lots of good fiction books do the same . Lots of people buy lottery tickets hoping for the big
score & I don't think I have ever met anyone that buys lottery tickets that hasn't won more than they've
spent . If that was really true , where does all the excess millions that the state & federal goverments gets
come from & occasionally someone does win a few million that has to be paid out . I'ts fun to dream &
look , just have fun & every now & then someone does get lucky . Lord , did I get started rambling or
what :)

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
I personally know that a few of the large caches have been found.
They were found after a lot of research and hard work.

Some are no doubt, still there to be found....but you will need to research, research, and do more research, if you intend to locate one ;)

Timberwolf

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are lots of caches that are/were found, but never reported as found. After lots of researching even years worth and lots of field work, would you report that you found a substantial cache to have the Government & every Tom Dick & Harry try and lay claim to?

If you check out the reported finds you'll see that they did a lot of research work before even heading out. I think it was Charles Garrett that stated You could put out an army of detectorists, and you'd never find it all!

If you have time, go back and read ALL the posts here on this forum. There is a bounty of good information from some of the most knowledgeable people you could ever hope to meet! Good Luck in your quests!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hio Do Caches exist? You cottin pickin rght they do. There are many large ones still out there plus inumerable smaller ones. Many have no records of rheir existance since the ones that buried them never told anyone of them, and if gotten by force, died before they could recover them.

The following is one that was posted in swr's "Show me the money" thread in Dowsing, post no. 40.

Don Jose de La Mancha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi: show me the money

I already have, but it was apparently pointedly ignored, so I will repost it.

Please don't remark upon the quality of the photo, since artistic ability doesn't enter into the point in question.

Basic data: a local took me to where he had seen a fire over the years.

A short search with the old Gardner turned up several rotting sacks of various denomination Mexican coins, most 8 Reales.

They were from a mule train that had been assualted in the early 1800's.

This is my share, mostly 8 Reales. It kept beans in the pot for a while.

p.s. I doubt that we can have a repeatable performance for peer review, they have been spent. so sorry.

Till Eulenspeigle - Don Jose de La Mancha ( I tilt iwndmills

Attachments

• cache of 8 Reales.jpg
    cache of 8 Reales.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,770
  • cache of 8 Reales.jpg
    cache of 8 Reales.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,764

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that modest caches exist all over the place.

Back in the 20's and 30's most rural folks kept their money secure someplace at home. It was too far to go to a bank (3 miles / hour by horseback - not the 60 MPH we do today). I know where my grandparents "banks" were on their farms.

Then, if I have my history right, following the great depression, (which left most folk mistrusting banks to start with) along came Roosevelt saying the people can no longer own "bullion" - turn in all your gold coins and we'll give you these nice paper bills to use instead. I gotta believe that a lot of people said "no way" and hid them trusting more in the security of gold than paper and hoping that one day they would be legal to own again. Well that day came, but not for almost 40 years, when Nixon made it legal to own gold "bullion" again in the late 60's. By this time, most of the people who had hidden coin in the early 30's would have been OOOOLLLLDDDDD. I'm certain many forgot, or didn't tell anyone for fear of repercussion.

Also there were (and still are) MANY people that did / do not trust banks and kept their savings stashed at home just for that reason.

There are caches out there, no doubt about it. They're in places that are concealed, but easily accesssible to those that put them there.

Best of Luck finding yours !

Diggem'

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
XXX, that was fantastic. I can kick myself for all the times I have not dug the OVERLOAD. I am not smart enough to figure out the 55 dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions