WALL OF GOLD-- I KNOW WHERE--BUT HOW??

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
I live in a town in No. Cal. and for detecting reasons I have a big collection of local history books, and while reading about turn of the century boot -leggers here in my own very small town. I read about the king-pin of boot-leggers- a man that was the equivalent of a John Goddie the mobster.He was the first person in the county to have a car and although a notorious man, gave money to the poor and the likes.His mother was widowed before he was born, and was a God fearing woman. The story goes--He would bring his mother a gold piece every week and she, stating it was the "devils money" would- quote: "drop it in a crack in the window-sill and hear it roll down like a big piggy-bank". This went on for approx. 15 yrs( 1 coin a week, 56 weeks times 15 yrs = 840 GOLD COINS). During this time the mother would ride into the big town 20 miles away with her neighbor lady to buy stuff not available in this town i.e- bolts of cloth,dairy goods etc. Now the old woman had a massive stroke which made her blind,deaf, and mute but before she died her neighbor lady visited her and the dying lady wrote on a piece of paper telling her of the gold in the wall. The author of the book states" this house and 80% of the homes that were here in 1900 still stand but have facelifts and additions and the like.... Well I've been researching this for a few years and have narrowed it down to 2 houses and I am convinced( My detecting buddies will tell you, I'm kinda physic when it comes to treasure-just a gut feeling) that its still there!!My theory is this .#1- Why didn't the neighbor lady go get the gold? In 1900 the coins were only worth face value(still a considerable sum) but she would have to tear down the walls under every window.. even if she could get in the house.#2-After the moms death the boot-legger moved some of his cronies into the home and these men were greatly feared by the neighbor lady and the locals alike.#3 So why didn't the author of the book that I was reading go find it? The book was written it 1971-long before full- discriminating detectors were. He would of had to ,buy or rent the home and then still demo under every window. There were detectors then but all the nails,wiring, plumbing pipes, would have made it almost impossible. But I know my machine will find the large cache If the coin a week was a $20 double eagles(1 ounce) do the math.. There could be 70 LBS OF GOLD all covered with dust just waiting.....
My perdictament-#1 the houses in question-1 is being rented, the other a old couple own and live there. Do I go to the renters and relate my story and make a agreement with them to some sort of a split. What if after the gold spills out on the floor the renters see that $450,000($20 gold coins average $500 apiece)really is in their home, call the cops saying Theres a deranged man in their home refusing to leave? 1/2 million bucks does strange things to people.I know I probably would...
Same with the other owners home- What if I go to them, tell my story and they say 'No Way" but thanks for the great story and by the way where do you buy them there detectors?"You can see where this is leading News paper headlines: OLD MAN FINDS $500,000 IN GOLD COINS. I'm thinking once I relate this story to either party the cats outta the bag and there goes MY gold. I know if I can get past the dealings with the people I could find it in less than 1hour in each house. Since windows aren't in the interior of the home and theres about 4 ft x 4ft under each window. This would be the easy part. I would greatly appreciate all of you folks to give me some advice on my next big step.And if your advice is responsible for the recovery. I'll mail you a Double Eagle. Cause I'll have plenty--Thanks for reading--please respond

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Cool story.

Only 2 ways to do it legally:

1. Ask the owners for a split, you would have to say something like, "I believe there is a treasure in your house, I won't tell you where until I find it, but after that we will split 50/50." and then add, "Hope you don't mind me tearing up your walls." I don't really think that will work, besides, once they see you looking under windows, they could kick you out and then find it themselves.

2. Buy the houses in question, find the gold, and then re-sell the houses.

The best thing about option two is that you would have a 50/50 chance of getting the right one if you are correct about the two houses, and if the treasure exists. AND you would profit from the purchase of the house as well, if you do some improvements. Real estate is one of the safest investments you can make....or you could rent the houses out, which would be even better...wait until the house appreciates, take out a second mortgage, cash out your equity and spend the difference tax free because it is a loan, not income!!! Or just sell the house later and pay loads of capital gain tax...

pityocamptes

Jul 5, 2003
How about this: Get some magnetic signs made, work outfits, etc. that have your "business" name on them such as XYZ exterminator, or XYZ plumbing, XYZ painting, etc. whatever the need may be associated with these homes. Knock on the door and tell the occupant that you are in the neighborhood offering free services to a few "lucky" homeowners as a way of promoting you new "business". They may bite. It may also get you into the wall. Hopefully they will bite. Do legitimate work and hopefully they will leave for the day or leave you alone after a while. Perhaps disguise your detector as some sort of high tech bug detector or radon gas detector, etc. Once you find the wall explain that you may have to do some demolision but you will fix everything the way it was etc. May work...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
resurector said:
My perdictament-#1 the houses in question-1 is being rented, the other a old couple own and live there. Do I go to the renters and relate my story and make a agreement with them to some sort of a split. What if after the gold spills out on the floor the renters see that $450,000($20 gold coins average $500 apiece)really is in their home, call the cops saying Theres a deranged man in their home refusing to leave? 1/2 million bucks does strange things to people.I know I probably would...

This part's easy. You get them to sign a contract with you before you begin looking. Don't tell, or include in the contract how much gold you believe is there, or where you believe it is. Write the contract in such a way that the split is still binding if they give you the boot and hope to claim it for themselves. If you try to scam them with Rockford stories you're just going to screw yourself out of anything of value that might be in the walls. Fraud is the surest way to cut yourself out of the loop. Of course, you could flat out kill whoever is living there, but murder is the surest way to not get to enjoy your finds.

Jun 1, 2005
I'll have to agree with "MiddenMonster" that getting the homeowners to sign a contract would be the best and most ethical way to go. The contract doesn't have to be fancy or state any monetary amounts or specific item(s) but should definitely state the type of split. The split should be more of a 60/40 (60% for you since you will be doing most of the work) but could still be negotiable. Be sure and have the contract notarized and have everyone present when you do it (some notaries will drive to your location for an extra fee). Also include a clause in your contract that you will repair or hire a contractor to repair any damages (good faith just in case you picked the wrong house). With this being said, I have a couple of observations about your story. Since most older homes used 2X6 sill plates for the windows, I'm skeptical that the widowed woman could have pushed a 20 dollar gold coin through a crack in the window sill, unless it was an unusually large crack. Your story also doesn't mention if the home had a basement or just a stone or cement foundation. The importance to this is the fact that most older homes were built using a 2 X 6 bottom wall plate that rested on the foundation. The first floor joist usually extended out from the sill plate 2 to 6 inches. This means that if the widow woman was dropping gold pieces through the sill and into the wall, most of the gold pieces would fall through this gap and end up in the basement or if there wasn't a basement inside the foundation wall. Just some food for thought. Anyway, best of luck and I hope you find your wall of gold.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, why not ask for permission to search the yard? Then as you casually go about your business, detect each window from the outside. A mass of 840 gold coins should be detectable no matter what denomination!

Once you determine which house, focus on taking over the house, either purchase, or lease and proceed. Deceitful, but not illlegal, I think. The contract idea is the ethical way to proceed, but if you don't get a signature, you've tipped the owner/occupant that you're interested in something in the home or property.

As a property owner, I've given permission to search on my farm. I would be VERY hesitant to sign a contract for same. I have had not damage from detectors and have not asked to see the finds, but if approached for a contract, I'd become seriously curious about what the requester expected to find..... :)

Good luck either way!

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
resurecter! I think billky has a very good idea, See if you can coin shoot around the house and under each window. However if there's an uppe level also ? But I'd say nothing to the renters about anything hidden there. And I also wouldn't approach the owners, Bad idia! Don't get in a hurry to move on this. I see only 2 ways to safely handle this. Keep an eye on place. Maybe let the owners know you'd like to rent the house when its up for rent again. If you have the means and it come up for sale, buy it. But by all means keep quite, anyone else you tell will be in competition with you. Remember loose lips sink ships. Be patient and wait for your time and claim it all.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd offer to buy the house/s in question (After) you find a way to be 100% sure the gold is there.

I like the exterminators approach as someone else stated!

Offer free service of bug removal with some made up cards, and some bug killer in a sprayer. Get a DBA for $10 at the county building, and give yourself a company name.

Offer to do a free inspection, and offer a 0ne time free spraying guaranteed for 6 months or so,

then tell them they have to leave the home for 2 hrs while you spray because of the fumes!

After a quick spraying, whip out the detector, and go to town searching for your treasure!

If found, don't say anything, just try to buy the house w/o letting the cat out of the bag!

HH

Lonewolfe

A

aquabob

If you know the name of the gangster, couldn't you do more research...i.e...... census bureau, courthouse records, etc.etc. and try to pinpoint just exactly which house she was depositing the coins. Then your only hope is to buy the house in question, and search, if it's not there, real estate is always a great investment. Good Luck!

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
I agree with Aqua Bob, rule out the house # first. this way there is no doubt you have the correct house.

Generally the court house or County Historical society retains tax records indefinitely and are available to the public. Check the court clerk, see what you need to do to do a title search on the property (if gansta's mom owned the house) search by her name.

You may have to dig through a decade of records, look up her obit first. determine date of death and probate. This will get it to generally within 5 yrs.

Just a thought.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
find the correct house,, either offer them a free interior paint job, and trove it after you have won their trust and they go mow the yard.........OR........send them an all expenses paid trip to the beach and go do some exterior improvements while they are soaking up the sun.........OR.........this one works well......wait till house is empty again,, offer the owner 3-4 times his usual rent for your use of the house for 1 month,,,,,,,trove it, fix the wall,, nobody knows nothing................gldhntr

AA23

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try metal detecting around the walls of the house from the outside first that way u will no where the gold is located, then either try to rent or buy the house, or make them sign a contract 70/30 in your favor at least or go with the bug spraying method , tell them its really noxious fumes and that they should leave for several hours that method usually works ;), or try finding some still living descendants or anyone who might be able to id the house for u, a grandchild or something.

JasonL2972

May 8, 2005
sterling CT
Older folks can be very leary of something like the bug spraying thing.They may go for a free spraying or paint job or some sought,but when you ask them to leave due to the fumes,they'd get worried about someone going threw their stuff,not even knowing of your real reasons.
One thing older folks enjoy though is good conversation.I'd keep an eye out for them to be in the yard and somehow get to know them,become friendly and then take it from there.May take some time but you can either figure a way in to do work(from a friend they know have)or maybe shoot the idea that you knew of some history of the house and "hey MR. smith,wouldn't it be a hoot to find somethin?i got a detector,we should try it some day for kicks and go halfs on any finds,ha ha"They may just go for it.

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
time for the old treasure hunting agreement, get it signed and have a witness with you to sign also, dont tell where or how to NOT give? any details of any kind except there maybee or may not be treasure there on the property ,and that your hobby is treasure hunting and your just running an old lead and are not sure if its true,and that? certain details can only be givin if an agreement is signed, that way they can chase their tale around if they think there gonna find it with out ya, eventually they will see they know nothing and sign hehe sad but true, Good Luck let us know if you have success also you probably could tell if theres coins there by using a drill like a door knob hole drill that way big enough to shine a light in there or maybee look up from the basement but that drill would be more acceptable by a home owner than ripping out the wall hehe once you see the gold i know they wont mind you tearing it down till that time keep it small , and I used to do flood work, some times you can remove base boards, and cut a small hole into wall, and force air in to dry inside,you dont even need to patch it just nail baseboard back and its behind the trim or baseboard so now its vanished no hole in it because the hole is low to the floor behind the trim, now thats a tip throw me an eagle hehe ,tammahawk

TOWcritter

How's this sound. I'm in construction and can tell you that alot of the older houses have what's called balloon framing. The exterior wall is framed from the main floor straight up to the roof line. I know, I used to live in one like that. In the attic you could shine a light down a stud cavity and see the light 2 1/2 stories down in the basement. If the house has no basement then the crawlspace is where those coins would wind up. We used to drop pennies down them. Or, If the window was on the second floor check to see if there is another window right below it. If so the coins would wind up on top of the header near the ceiling below the upper window. It's not as simple as you might think. Hope you find it, I sure would like one of those gold coins. Hope I helped you out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to recalculate a little bit. You said 56 weeks in a year, there are only 52 weeks in a year.

OP
OP
resurector

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
THANKS ALL WHO RESPONDED--
Got some real great advice from you guys but, I think I'll still chew on this one for awhile.Its been there for that long, it can wait for me to formulate my next step. Right now I'm workin a lead of a 1910 fire insurance map that would show the exact house. So I'm gonna just sit back with eyes and ears wide-open and wait... the advice I got here will be in my back pocket.I'll post any new developments as they happen. Thanks You Everybody----resurector

P

PrizmIV

If its the old people become friends with them, get there paper everyday, offer to take them lunch or dinner; down right become friends with them if they decide to move out I'm sure they would let you buy the house. If they have no family then you really need to become there friends! If its the rented house; renters in downtown areas of houses don't stay more than 5 yrs! Some one said offer like triple; that may work but I have an better idea. It seems (this could work on the other house also!) that neither house has been re-done lately; go get your contracting license and offer to fix it up real cheap and of course they will say yes if its an older house. All older houses are coming in demand and usually only stay on the market for around a week when they are for sale or rent. Then someone gets a hold of it and re does it and then re sales it. That maybe a good thing though if someone is going to re do it just sneak in one night after all the workers leave and go find the stuff in the basement! Just my 0.02 HH Jonathan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions