fortune teller Mahaley Lancaster

fixit101

May 29, 2008
Georgia
this lady was a fortune teller in heard county ga. My grandfather went to see her on occasion. she told him a couple things that came true:
1.) that his oldest son (my uncle frank) would come close to death but no physical harm would come to him. several weeks later while catching catfish from under the banks of the chattahoochee, he got hung up in some roots under the bank and almost drowned.
my grandaddy went to look for him because he was gone so long and help him get out...
2.) one of his daughters would have four children and told him the names of each... this came to pass and didn't tell her till after she named the last one...
mahaley was the fortune teller in the movie "murder in coweta county" a movie based on a true story. she led the sheriff lamar potts to the remains of a murdered man which led to his conviction.
this lady also told two friends of my uncle jack that they slept near a fortune of gold.
this is the story as told by my uncle:
the two friends of my uncle were young and didn't know whether or not mahaley was for real. after camping out one night they went to her and paid a small fee and asked her to tell them something so they would know she was for real. she told them that they camped out the night before, and described the area "better than they could have" they told jack. she also told them that they had slept very close to a fortune of gold and it was buried next to a "big leaf tree" under a fence. they went back and dug awhile but found nothing. this was in the 60's I think and they didn't have a metal detector.
this story was told to us when my brother had got in on a hunting lease and when he told jack where the lease was then he said thats where the two friends camped out and where the fortune was supposed to be.
my brother and uncle jack went to the place, found a cotton would tree (very big leaves, the only one around they said) and a bobbed-wire fence under ground next to the tree with a detector. they didn't find anything but they figured it may be buried too deep if it is a large cache.
we wondered if it may be the mcintosh gold. it was in close proximity to where mcintosh lived. after all, mahaley did tell a lot of things that were true, and a few to to my family. just make believe that something is there. we have recieved permission from the land owner to search there and have purchased a tm-808 detector to help us in the search. we plan to go there soon.
anyone used this or similar detector? any advice would be appreciated!!
thx!!!!

K

Kentucky Kache

The two guys paid the lady a SMALL fee to tell THEM where a LARGE cache of gold was buried. What's wrong with this picture?

OP
OP
F

fixit101

May 29, 2008
Georgia
Mahaley always charged a small fee to tell you your fortune. I think my uncle said you paid and then asked her a question or asked her just to tell your fortune, which was no perticular question, just whats going to happen in your life.
I assume they paid her and then the rest of the info was just whatever she decided to tell you.
I remember hearing that after she died they tore down her house and the walls had a lot of money in them. I don't think she really needed any money. I guess she to old to go dig it up herself anyway!!

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Was this Mahaley Lancaster written about in the 1976 book "Murder in Coweta County"
by Margaret Anne Barnes?

The book was about the 1948 John Wallace murder case.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Maybe you should look for a catalba tree. Cottonwood leaves aren't that big in
comparison. Some oak trees have leaves that are at least 6 times larger than the
cottonwood. The most expensive equiptment you can find won't find a gold cache
that's under the wrong tree.

I'm speaking of cottonwoods that grow close to water in my area. How large do
they get where you are?

lastleg

oldcoyote

Greenie
Dec 25, 2005
Sycamores have huge leaves too. Kites from a neighbor's Sycamores pile a foot deep in my yard every fall. ESP has been a topic of mild interest to me for over 40 years but there's very little wheat among the chaff and flummery. Such a tale as that would get my attention though, and a purposeful investigation.. There seems to be a consensus among psychics (real or imagined) that profiteering is seriously frowned upon by whatever Powers? they are using - so "modest fees" for the time is to be expected. Just like with lawyers, all you get is an "opinion." And of course if you find "it", a generous tip might go a long way toward avoiding the black candles and pinned dolls routine. ;D

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
oldcoyote: Sycamore leaves in Texas aren't notably large either. Be glad you don't
park under one as they drop stuff year round. However the leaves make good mulch
and the cottonwood leaves never decay unless you grind them up.

If I were to follow a fortune tellers advise, which I won't. I'd be looking for giant leaves
like a catalba. You can make fans out of them and in Missouri some type of oak has
leaves the size a watermellon. Figs have whopper leaves too.

lastleg

Yard Eggs

May 10, 2009
fixit101 said:
Mahaley always charged a small fee to tell you your fortune. I think my uncle said you paid and then asked her a question or asked her just to tell your fortune, which was no perticular question, just whats going to happen in your life.
I assume they paid her and then the rest of the info was just whatever she decided to tell you.
I remember hearing that after she died they tore down her house and the walls had a lot of money in them. I don't think she really needed any money. I guess she to old to go dig it up herself anyway!!

Mahaley's standard fee was well-known: "A dollar for me and a dime for my dogs."

The story I heard was that her money was buried in the yard - much of it still to be recovered. Local lore has it that if you go out there with a metal detector, all those dimes will set it to buzzing.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like someone should set out to prove or disprove the "local lore".

Lively

Dec 5, 2010
Has anyone considered the fact Mahaley Lancaster was not talking about a "fortune of gold" in the literal sense??!!
How do we know she was not referring to "paper money"?! It doesn't matter how many metal detectors you use....detectors will never detect paper!! Funny thing...my Grand mother who was born and raised in Haralson County had her "fortune told" by Mahaley Lancaster years before she had children. She was told she would have 10 children and she did indeed!! This story was told to me tonight on my youngest sons 24th birthday by my mother.Her maiden name is Lively.

K

Kentucky Kache

Lively said:
Has anyone considered the fact Mahaley Lancaster was not talking about a "fortune of gold" in the literal sense??!!
How do we know she was not referring to "paper money"?! It doesn't matter how many metal detectors you use....detectors will never detect paper!! Funny thing...my Grand mother who was born and raised in Haralson County had her "fortune told" by Mahaley Lancaster years before she had children. She was told she would have 10 children and she did indeed!! This story was told to me tonight on my youngest sons 24th birthday by my mother.Her maiden name is Lively.

If you knew the location of a large cache of gold, or paper money, would you tell it to someone because they would pay you a small fee? That would be like me giving you a thousand dollars, if you would promise to give me a hundred.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
My mother was psychic, could tell a person where something was lost, and other things. But she wouldn't take money for it, she said it was a gift, and she couldn't charge for it. I saw her do many of the things, she said I could do it if I'd work at it, but I am too lazy.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of many reasons why she would actually give valuable information to the boys for what would appear to be a small consideration. As some may have said, the people who have this ability often see the information given as being the special province of the person it was to go to. To take "their fortune" as their own would be viewed as the ultimate sin and might result in them losing their "ability". Also, it does not appear that this woman was anywhere near young enough or physically able enough to do anything about a buried treasure.

I did do a bit of research about the MacIntosh treasure. We have a thread about it here on Tnet. It appears that the Indian Chief who negotiated the $400,000 gold coin deal was killed by unhappy Indians prior to receiving any of that gold. So its most likely not that gold...

ToxsickRavyn

Jul 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incorrect. I am both a descendant of Mayhaley and lived in both the house she told fortunes in and the one she lived in. The one she told fortunes in is disgusting and unable to be used now because after we left a year ago, no one took care of it. Mayhayley's house is now owned by the Georges or the Hulls. I forgot which one my mother sold it to. If you're curious... it's on Hull Road in Ephesus Georgia.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread