Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desoto,

not sure i read somewhere he had some..but was more interested in taking what he had heard about here....i live not far from where he traveled, actually working on locations right now....where you from?...Gregg

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm... I'm not too sure if deSoto actually HAD any on his trip to the Ozarks. I'm trying to do more research on this as well because I'm from the Saint Petersburg area and fish at the 1,000 ft. pier right NEXT to deSoto's Fort (Fort deSoto Park)!!! I just happen to go to school up here in Springfield, Missouri and found out this semester that deSoto's travels led him and his army up here to the Ozarks to mine for gold and silver to take back to Florida, then transport back to Spain. There's ALOT of history in the Ozarks for buried/lost treasure(s) both from the Spanish and Outlaws... not to mention just regular Ozark folk who happened to lose what they earned or found in their lifetime. It's a quite of bit of research to go over, especially while trying to focus on college too... but I know I'll eventually find something up here. Just takes some patience and in-depth research. ;D

Bran <><

corsair

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2005
There is mayby some mistake,mayby some other person by same name,but i know Benito de Soto and he had death in 1832.He operated in atlantic,probarly buried treasure on Trinidad island

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, sorry. That seems to be the wrong deSoto we're referring to. We're referring to Hernando deSoto....

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'm repeating myself just a bit, but I found out some new stuff this past semeseter while up at college about DeSoto...
I started doing research on DeSoto more carefully when I went back up to college last August and found out some interesting things on him. I actually go fishing on a 1,000 ft. fishing pier directly next to DeSoto's fort, literally! If you've ever watched the movie The Punisher, the pier that the bad guys run The Punisher's wife and son down on with their truck is the same pier I fish on all the time while down in Florida over breaks. Directly to the right of the pier is the largest stone fort that I've ever seen!! On the beach side of the fort, it's completely covered in vines and trees. On the other side, it is open and has all sorts of rooms where the munitions were stored and also rooms where they shot people! The HUGE cannons are still in place and down at the waters edge is the remains of a guard tower that's barely still intact. Anyway, I found out that DeSoto led his troops up Central Florida all the way up to the Ozark Mountain area in and around Springfield, Missouri where I go to school. He apparently led the troops up there to search for and mine gold and silver, which they did plenty of. Unfortunately they had to stash alot of it in the caves because of the indian attacks they came upon from such tribes as the Osage and the Kickapoo indians. Well, this is just some of the research I've done. Hope you find it a little helpful... :-)

Bran <><

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hi Gang,

From what i have been able to gather, de Soto came through my area around 1540 or 1541. As I understand that he was looking for treasure not carrying it with him. He came across evidence of silver here in SC, but the natives kept him from finding the source. There are many stories of him taking 300 pounds of fresh water pearls from the natives who befriended him. I am not sure what ever happened to them.
I am still searching for clues of his travels through SC.

Have fun,

Mike in SC

loot and scoot

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
De Soto artifact article

I know this is an old thread, but the attached article may give you some additional reference on what De Soto was carrying.

Attachments

• necklet(reduced).pdf
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 213

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my research of my area I have come across people who will say "DeSoto came right up through here (Micanopy) from Tampa on his way north." However, my research may actually conflict with that. Even the location near Tampa where DeSoto is said to have landed is under scrutiny: Hernando de Soto DID NOT Land in Tampa Bay

With that said, during my readings it is evident that DeSoto and his crew were seeking gold, and found it by taking it from the natives, who had received it prior from other explorers such as Ponce de Leon. I've read that as DeSoto's group traveled and accumulated treasure, from time to time they would bury it for safekeeping until their return. After all, the King of Spain wanted a return on the investment made by funding the exploration trip and wouldn't be happy if DeSoto returned without an impressive haul since a lot of stories were told of the great wealth of the new land. Much of that wealth at the time was exaggerated.

Although this site is focused on St. Augustine, there are some nice detailed maps of Florida: Historic Maps of St. Augustine

For more maps of Florida: Florida History Library, University of Florida

and Old Florida Maps - <?= $current_title ?>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread