Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If one is looking for ferrous metal the three options seem to be either a metal detector with a 18"-30" coil, a two box ("They" say the TF-900 is the best) or a magnetometer. Let's open up some dialogue on al three. Let me start, After some interesting research last night I found that Ground Penetrating Radar has some limitations depending on the ground/soil conditions. if its sandy, ok no problem if clay it limits its effectiveness. Upside, it will detect plastic.

The reviews on two boxes form the MD community seems to be mixed. Some good but most are bad. Siting the machine was impotent to "I dug a paint can at 5 feet.", and then gave up I believe most treasure hunters do not know how to properly operate or have never used a 2 box. This "creature" has one book to support its users by Ryland. Those who have used a two box once, like me, perhaps did not go through the learning curve associated with any venture or new piece of equipment. Besides there aren't any classes being taught or test sites to learn from. Too bad. So this piece of equipment keeps getting ignored by most THunters. Keep in mind most detectorist's are not looking for something larger than Chuck Norris's fist which means there will naturally be less of a demand and talk about 2 boxes.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Just to start things off, I recently used my Garrett master hunter with the two-coil attachment for a week straight. Worked perfectly and did reasonable pin-pointing under the front coil. It can detect a 10-inch aluminum pot strongly at three feet and weakly at four feet. The smallest object it found is a lump of iron about half the size of a beer can. Or the beer can itself.

I wished for a discriminator as I got tired of digging pieces of old farm equipment. But then the cows next door wished for wings.

I have not had success with a large single coil, nor a magnetometer. Not because these are bad units in theory, but because mine were homemade and never worked right. My fault-I built them.

Chip V.

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just spoke to a best selling author of treasure hunting who told me that the 2 box and the metal detector are his two best tools. He said for reasons best understood by him from using them in the field, that magnetometer's on land are a waste of time in most cache hunting applications.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a land surveyor, and my principal detector is a Schonstedt magnetometer.

It will detect an upright pipe at a couple of feet, and I can tell it's a pipe. Water main at 6 feet most of the time. Pieces of wire will send it shrieking. I can find a pipe under a chain link fence. I can tell the difference between these items by the sound patterns and spacial signature. I can guess the depth pretty well by turning down the gain.

If the item isn't magnetic, it won't find it - period. Most iron is, but a little isn't. Don't ask me why.

I've never found a cache with it, but then I've never looked for one. They'll find an iron box deeper than a MD. They'll find all sorts of iron trash, heavier pieces like castings and angle irons preferred. I suppose you could find a glass jar with a steel top, but maybe not. Zinc top filled with silver, not a whisper.

I've not used a 2 box, though I have one for my GTI2500.

I use my work truck a lot, so what's the problem with using all 3? Flag your finds and work them over with the 3 of them to see what thbey tell you before you dig - but you were going to dig anyway, right?

The point is, they're different. Exploit those differences to find stuff.

:icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread