Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm heading up to the region this coming week. I've done some research and am in the process of interviewing a "special" person while up there. He may give us more answers, he's over 100 years old and an historian. Any notes, maps and ideas on where the cabin was or who Follensby is would be a bonus. Was he from Napoleon's Army or Stark's Army? Did you there is a Lake Bonaparte near by in the Adirondack's where land was owned by the famous general's brother? E-mail me or post please.

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I interviewed an 103 year old man who happens to be an historian and he did not have additional information on Follensby. His dad might have and his dad lived till the 1940's and was born 1850. Man that alone was worth the trip. Speaking to someone who remembers as a kid the sinking of the titanic and having a dad who opted not to join the Civil War.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I believe that Follensby was a Revolutionary War soldier, not Civil War. I'm from the N.E. and looked at this one. I could not find any definitive record of any treasure. I concluded that this one is a fake.

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to revisit the follensby treasure information. Anyone game?
I hunted the green pond area of lake Bonaparte. I found one real interesting spot bjt didnt have my gear and lwft the area without returning. Lots of bush whacking involved. Cool area to explore

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Have fun with the research project, I am doing western states. if you put time into your region you will find ones that seem good and ones that fall apart.

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun with the research project, I am doing western states. if you put time into your region you will find ones that seem good and ones that fall apart.
I'm no longer in NY and also have been adventuring the western states. Are you hunting legends or are you researching for a new book?

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live pretty close to this location area and would be interested in joining up on this hunt/ search...even if its just for the experience!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Follensby settled alone on or close to follensby pond in the tupper lake/ saranac lake area. He was thought to possess a lot of treasure like gold and silver coin. There are a couple of ponds back in there known as Follensby pond and the whole area is privately owned. I believe the story. Also to note, Lake Bonaparte is about 1.5 hrs drive back southwest from follensby pond. I read an article about Follensby in w&e treasures mag back in the 90s. I have friends that live in that area. Right in the middle of the Adirondacks very rugged in there.

Jrsmith

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2019
Colton, NY
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A few years ago I tried to get to this area, after rafting up the river I came to a private road and there was at least one camp near where I would have wanted to search, posted signs also. I remember reading something about a box being found around there but it was empty. From what I remember it was a little difficult to get to the general area and then too many signs of people being around for me to do much. I think it’s currently owned by a nature conservancy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread