western massachusetts cache

H

hessian raider

Here's one I stumbled across while I was working as an electrician a few years ago. My boss sent us to work at an old school in my town pro bono(tax write-off) that is now used as a community center. This school was a "free academy" that was open from 1855-1950's. Anyways, we were trying to run 3-way switches from the first to the second floor stairways,and having a very hard time of it due to the post and beam construction. I had to get into the attic to try to run the wires up and over(that didnt work either-eventually went with wiremold- NOT my idea!) and sitting in the middle of the attic was a HUGE pile of old textbooks and some newspapers. These books dated from mid-19th to mid-20th century.I didnt take a lot of time to look at them, as i was "on the clock", but I remember one was a 1900 census report in perfect condition,like it had never been opened! I plan on getting in touch with the town historian;I'm sure she will be interested in this.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Raider

Come back to that attic when you have a chance, get those old books and news paper and I could help you to hook up those 3-way switches, 2x4 fluorecent,make panel calculations, connect Exhaust fans 240v/12A/3P, etc.

;D ;D

Amona

OP
OP
H

hessian raider

already done that day, I just don't like the idea of wiremold- kinda hacky if you ask me. thanks for the offer though. the books are in a town building; I have no rightful claim to them. I also told the town historian about them shortly after the post. I actually had to convince her I was serious, she did'nt seem to believe me at first! some people....

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
FYI there is reported to be a treasure in W. Mass. cached by Hessian Raiders during the Revolutionary War. Thought you might get a kick out of that.

OP
OP
H

hessian raider

ah yes, the dalton cannon...a great many people have looked for that one. a little too much distance for me. I mainly focus on my street; plenty of sites here. thanks for the heads up though.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could we be on the trail of that well talked about "Treasure on Day Mountain"? The British Artillery Cartridge Box Belt Tip was found in the vacinity. Haven't done a whole lot of research, and has yet to be verified, but the relic is reported to be 1st Artillery Battallion which was Burgoynes' Artillery. What town you live in Hessien?

OP
OP
H

hessian raider

brimfield; one town west of sturbridge on the old post road(RT 20)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread