boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought, don't know if it'll help in your situation. But have you thought about carrying a 12v bilge pump with a 5 or 6 foot hose? Powered by a motorcycle battery or garden tractor battery would help you keep the hole clear of the pesky seeping water & make life a little easier.

Oh yeah, they carry nicely in one of those book bags the kids use. Also lay flat hose is a nice choice. 25' rolls up the size of your fist. Works pretty good for most de watering.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to rent a gas powered water pump last fall but my MD had to be fixed and winter came really early this year. I'm going back there as soon as the ground softens up. For now I could go take a look at that first swamp, since it will be frozen solid I should be able to safely search it with my MD for any signs of metal.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an eagle eye attachment for my Garrett, for cache hunting. I won't need waders because of the extreme cold up here that has most likely frozen the swamp solid. Right now it's about -20 outside, if it warms up to maybe -5 or even -10 I'll go out there.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
In the Candian winter I would try a pendullum such as the Titan model
from Carl Anderson Co. I think Kellyco has them. I have a Titan II
which I play around with sometimes if I think there is a nearby cache.
Before you guys start laughing when I first got mine when I lived in
Big D. I kept all my found silver and a silver ingot I got from trading
printing plates for the silver value (that was when silver was around
$25 a troy oz). I followed the instructions and held the dip needle in
the same room with the out of sight silver. In a minute or so that
rascal began to swing rapidly toward the container. I had no control
over it and I thought man if this pendulum got near a large amount
of gold or silver it would go nuts.
*warning * Do not hold this stainless steel instrument with bare hands
during Aurora Borealis lastleg

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that a keg of gold, or any heavy amount of gold in anything, let alone a heavy keg to begin with, would sink, and sink and sink and sink, in a swamp or any marsh land, to at least the depth of where it would hit harder ground.

A few years back I used to dream about detecting this area where there was a small pond with old stone seating all around it, right near the old farm that used to be a resort in the 30's. The farm was built in the late 1800's. Anyway, I detected around the farm, found alot of clad and interesting items, etc...I would go past this pond every once in awhile wishing to god I could get in there, knowing it HAD to have plenty of coins in it from the people staying at the resort, treating this pond like a wishing well. This pond was more like a swamp, in that it had a very mucky bottom, ther was also lot's of quicksand in the area (the only lake in the twp was all quicksand on one side)
Well, one day my friend and I were driving past it and I yelled out STOP! The pond was completely dry and I had my detector with me. I walked in thick muck, some pretty scary wetter mucky areas and do you know I didn't get a single beep, nada, nothing ziltch! I figured it had to be because I could never get a reading as deep as any coin that was in there probably had sank.

Moral of the story, there is no way anyone would put something so heavy in a swamp or grounds they sank in. They'd have to know it would sink and be next to impossible to retrieve when they wanted to. Unless it was never their intentions to retrieve it, but just to unload it so they wouldn't go to jail if caught with it, or something like that.

And why would someone say the wood would be preserved? I had/have entire docks in our lake that were made of oak (all types of wood actually) back in the 20's & 30's and there's only fragments left of them. The wood is usually mushy, dilapidated pieces of wood, that when you try to lift them out, they break apart. Even some of the newer treated wood from the 50's does this. I realize some wood stays fairly well preserved (ship wrecks, old boats etc...) but isn't there a difference between sea water and lake water or swamp...and a difference between what lake waters do to wood too?

Not saying this gold doesn't exists, just saying that I wouldn't count on finding anything in that swamp...unless it's changed shape over the years, and it was buried on the dry part way back when. That's the other thing, swamps change shapes too, after many years.
I looked at many ariels of my area ('bout 500 acres) and saw swamps that were there (big one's) back in the 70's that are now gone, and news ones in places where they weren't before. Water sheds and swamps change... Anyway, that's my 25 cents worth (inflation).

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out to that swamp a few weeks ago, I picked up 2 targets near the edge of the swamp, one was iron and I couldn't tell you what the other one was because I'd have to dig it up to be sure, could have been aluminum. I only searched along the edges, I didn't venture out into the middle of the swamp because I was alone and I didn't know if the ice would hold.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danny, the last post here was almost 2½ years ago! Why do you go through every subject and add a comment that does nothing for it?

I like to start the day, buy going through the recent post, but you have went through every one and asked for an update, even subjects that have been droped years ago, so no one knows if the recent post are active, or you Re-activated them. It is very boring for me, and im sure some others, to see that you have posted 20 or more replies, that add 0 to the subject.

You keep asking for treasure clues in your state, but no one is going to send you an "x marks the spot" clue. Please try to add something to the subject, not just raise you amount of post.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am outrages with your insults. You do not have to read old posts, but many newcomers like myself enjoy reading them. It is call Freedom of Speech. There are not too many stories about Connecticut that is publish in treasure magazines. There are stories that people are no looking for the treasures and these are the stories that I am asking for. All Connecticut stories need more research.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a similar story about a trunk of French gold that was buried in an old fort site over 200 years ago. I tend to believe it's there, because workers digging a canal found gold coins in the area, but apparently not the main cache. The problem is though as others have said in swampy ground or marsh not only will silt cover it, but it's own weight will sink it in the muck.

I'd love to hunt for the one here, and have a fair idea of the general location, but if it's there it'll be WAYYYY out of my detectors reach. I'm thinking some kind of coring tool on a long pole might work, but it's just a shot in the dark to locate it.

Also if the oak is buried in silt it can last for thousands of years in a fresh water swamp, so long as it's not exposed to oxygen.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Your best bet on this recovery effort would be to get some ground probing rods and do a quick probing and mapping of the mud depth in that swamp,If you hit bed rock or at least semi solid ground within four feet down, It may still be recoverable.Anything below four feet id recommend using GPR in those areas. You in for alot of work on this recovery effort.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't logged into TNet in a while, so I apologize for my late reply. I had no idea that this thread was still going.

To update: I have abandoned this particular marsh for now, as I have serious doubts about the validity of this location as being the spot to search. This particular tale covers several marshes that are spread throughout a 200+ mile long area. Many small towns have their own version of it, and there are almost no differences between each version. I believe the story originated somewhere else entirely, and then was spread from town to town. I'm not sure why that would be the case........maybe people back then liked to tell tall tales for amusement. There is definitely some truth to it though, because the story is too persistent and widespread to be based on pure nonsense.

In my research, which was quite interesting, I found a unique version of this story. This one threw me a bit off guard, because up to that point, all the stories were the same. So why was this one different? That I don't yet know.

Anyways, here it goes: During this same war, a military officer of some high rank was observing a naval battle over the lake. He was observing it from the inside of a cave, a cave that had another compartment. The battle was not going well, and so before he retreated, he hid all his loot in the adjacent room in the cave, and sealed it up.

In a surprising twist of events, I was actually able to follow this story through to the end(at least until I find another town with the same version, but that hasn't happened yet). I found the cave, or what was left of it. The year before I found it, this limestone cave had collapsed under the pull of gravity, and fell down into a ravine a few hundred feet down. You see, it had been protruding from a cliff face, and after the winter thaw in that year, I guess it just got worn out enough and collapsed. As luck would have it, I found a ferry captain who had lived in that area since she was a child. So as I enjoyed the view from the captain's deck, we got to talking about the cave and what she remembered. According to her, there never was any adjacent room in the cave, and there never was any kind of an opening through which anyone would be able to observe the naval battle on the lake. It's true that this commander could have been outside of the cave as this battle went on, and then hid his stuff inside. But once again, there were no adjacent rooms present. I myself saw the side of the cliff where the cave used to be, and I could not see any evidence that would point to the contrary.

Maybe someone here knows something about a similar story.

Prime

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You may have solved your own mystery. That adjacent compartment collasped
under the wight too and landed at the lowest part of the ravine last year. Better get
back and retrieve before some lucky hiker stumbles onto it.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
You are probably in the right area, but are looking at the wrong cave. He would have watched the battle from a high place, but could have kept the loot in a cave lower down (not as far to lug around if it was heavy.) I'd explore the area some more.... :wink:

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fortunehunter,

Re Read the post,,this is a different take on the same story. Hey, he`s still trying to figure it out. Good luck to him,,,

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy, it's been a while since I've been here but I'm back and more experienced. For the record, I don't yank people's chains about treasure, that's not my angle.

Regarding why I went from a marsh to a cave, this particular story had spread around between towns all around Lake Ontario. The geographical range of the tale is a few hundred miles. I'm not 100% certain what went on back in the old days regarding the spread of stories about buried treasure, did the people of the time spread them around like legends for the sake of sensationalism? I mean the news media does it in our time on a broader scale with "fake news".

In any case the story is very similar each time I come across it, there is a French vs English conflict, a ship chase, and ultimately someone runs aground and takes their pay chest with them and buries it due to the inconvenience of carrying it around through dense vegetation or other difficulties you'd experience back in those days.

I've considered sharing all the small tidbits of information that I've acquired as I'm of the opinion that our current times are bleak and as treasure is dearest to my heart, I'd like to see the "hobby" if you want to call it that, gain some traction and give people something positive to reflect on. I'm currently sitting on the fence about this.

Cheers,

Prime

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck to you. I believe that it would take more then one person to recover the gold. Do not let anybody get you down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread