Gold buried in a swamp

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Any ideas how to approach a swamp search? I have a non-waterproof metal detector, so it can only be submerged up to a limited depth. That aside, does anyone have any insights into searching through swamps? "Don't even bother with it, it's too difficult" doesn't apply to me ;D

I'm talking about a keg of gold here that was buried a very long time ago, and back in those days the swamp had already existed which means that there is a way of going about this without heavy risks.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
How long till the big freeze? Do you have a reliable partner? Is this a shallow
muskeg or deep with quicksand? I would think you should be prepared for a
prolonged search and need a waterproof unit as well as a good wetsuit. Good
luck, keep us posted. lastleg

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
chest waders or on the cheap spackle bucket boots.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The big freeze is about 5 months away. Unfortunately with the heavy amounts of rain that we've received here this summer the swamp water levels seem to be a bit high. Guess I'll have to wait a while.

I have no idea what's in the swamp at this time, including what kinda sediment lies on the bottom. I'll keep you guys up to date as time goes by.

Furthermore, how does oak hold up in a swamp? The said keg is supposedly made from that wood, it's probably been sitting there for over 200 years(assuming that it is in fact there).

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I personally have no experiance in this but I have read several times about how heavy objects (keg of gold) in water soaked earth (wet farm fields, swamps etc) will continue to sink after being buried. You didn't mention a time frame or how this keg of gold managed to find itself ina swamp, but could it be possible that it is now down to an unrecoverable depth?

Not trying to rain on your parade..... just sayin'.

What part of Canada you in?

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good point, it would be a real bummer if that was the case. The keg is rumored to have been buried there over 200 years ago.

I'm in eastern ontario btw.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
"...and back in those days the swamp had already existed which means that there is a way of going about this without heavy risks."

It does seem like whoever put it there would have some way in mind of how to get it back out again. They must have realized that it would reeeeeeealy sink in there.

Maybe they tied it off to a tree just below the water line before they tossed it in, hopefully with a chain because rope would rot. And if so, you could metal-detect a chain, if it's not too deep where it's tied off.

If that is the case---

Attach a come-along down low on the chain and ease it out of the muck, giving it time to un-suck.

If they actually buried it in shallows, dig first. If they just tossed it in a deep part, you might have to dig some anyway, depending on how long the chain is.

Don't detach the chain from the tree until after you have recovered the keg, because if you accidently drop the end of the chain, then it's in the muck too, maybe sunk down into it.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The way you wrote that EE sounds like you pulled it out of memory, like you've come across something like it before.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I would ask what is the source of this treasure lead? And if there is more than
just one source. You need to verify if the person/s who placed the keg actually
existed. With the internet you can search from home via ancestry sites to verify
persons from the past with census reports. If you can find the names of people
involved and their homes and find a tale that is logical, makes sense as to why it
was not recovered by them later, then try to nail down the most likely area of
search you might be the first to locate. It sounds like the keg has been searched
for by many others but due to the treacherous possible locations it has culled out
all but the most determined treasure hunter. It is a lot easier to be totally commited
when the ducks are in line. lastleg

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I imagine if they hid it, it would be on some of the higher 'drier' ground of the swamp, which would make retrieval much easier (so check 'islands' first.)
Another question is, how big is the keg? Moving a large (and heavy) keg through terrain like that would be very difficult (unless you are moving it by boat, in which case your search area will expand by quite a bit.)

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm at the very start of this one, the beginning of my inquest, the info is sketchy and brief so I have no idea of how big the keg was or what the person's name was that buried it. It's a legend at this point until I find something more. Regardless of anything, I'm pretty excited about this.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in swamps.

Email me.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Can you pump it dry with a trash pump? I have done that here in florida on some looking for things

Start on edges and work your way in slowly if your MDing.

You could also use a canoe if it is a big swamp and pole your way around, they make inexpesive underwater video cameras to see underwater with if you think you might of found a good target.

Wood doesn't rot if it is submerged,

Good luck

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that a Keg of gold much larger than 2 Gal would be to heavy for any one to move to far. The wood would be preserved.
Survey the area! any land maps? Google earth? Then visit in person to get the lay of the land. Any bedrock outcroppings? Ancient trees?
Inspect trees for signs; can you imagine a plumb bob hanging from a limb?
Sit back and think to your self if it where I and I wanted it to be safe and assessable where would I stash it. After 200 years the swamp may be smaller than it is today. The town down the road is called Mukwanago; 200 years ago the Indians avoided it; swamp land

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately I can't drain the swamp because a very protective swamp preservation society would cause me problems over it. Plus there are people living right by the swamp, so it's kinda impossible to drain it without someone noticing while I'm doing it.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to double post, but I want to get some attention here for one more thought. The swamp supposedly belongs to a bunch of families who all live in very close proximity to it, if lets say I do find that loot and dig it up, wouldn't that be like stealing if I just take it?

Granted, they probably don't know it could be there and they'll probably never visit their local archives to find out either because most people just don't care to find out.

There's also a guy who has lived there for decades who was quoted in the book that I read this whole treasure story in as a source of reference(don't know what info he contributed, the author was vague about that). My plan is to go talk to him about it and hope that he won't tell anyone else. But he might because as soon as you mention the "T" word people get curious and I want to keep this info away from those pesky swamp owners(who live near him).

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I cant imagine a keg of gold just being tossed into a swamp with the hopes of ever recovering it again......so....the person placing it there would have secured it in some way...chained to a large tree (landmark) or close to one for recovery purposes........a keg of gold is going to weigh alot....and be difficult for one person to lift or maneuver....If the swamp is full of water ,I would try and get a map of the time it supposedly was placed there and compare it with the water levels today.....I am thinking an outside edge with a large tree or perhaps now a stump would be my first focus point....If you narrow your search down through research and talking to the man you mentioned,I would rent a water proof detector......Good Luck

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Go it alone is my advice. They will only find out if you open your mouth too wide.
Also is it OK to fish this swamp? If so I would explore in a john boat with rods on
display. Just thought of something, make yourself an underwater viewing tube with
plexiglass at the end. When no one is watching use a rake to stir the bottom, then
look thru tube to see if you can see an outline of the keg. The flat-bottom boat
should be propelled with oars, no loud motor to arouse curiosity. If you have the
ingenuity to find this you deserve the reward. You cannot be too careful if you
recover gold specie. Ideally you clam up and spend a lot of time selling a little
in a metropolis where you won't be recognized. If you spill the beans you will be
not only robbed of the find but maybe prosecuted by the greedy. Luck . . . lastleg

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I guess to make it short and sweet

Yes, if you don't have permission and on private property you are trespassing and stealing.

Yes, everything on a person's property belongs to the property owner

Yes,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread