My Large cents cache

Dirt-Fisher

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2008
Taxachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab exp ll and SE
I returned to the site I found 3 wiskey bottles buried early last December but, I wanted to share ......

Being familiar with the area I hurried in to the coordinates displayed on the GPS. This was going to be a short hunt because snow was to come in early morning to the quiet woods, interrupting any further plans to search the area. I had decided to search around the edges of the small hill on the outskirts of the spot of the six large cents. I quickly received a signal that indicated a coin approximately 5-7 inches deep. I hurriedly dug the signal and found a large cent. Placing it in my pocket I swung the SE over the removed soil from the hole. Beep! Another signal… another large cent! I removed one after another large cent from the hill side. Sometimes as many as four at a time! I placed them deep into my pocket and returned for more. Once I was satisfied that the hole was not producing any more I moved around the hill side until I received another high pitched signal digging this signal revealed more large cents several with each handful of dirt!

The snow was starting and I filled my holes and returned to the car. Once home I asked my wife to open her hands and close her eyes. I placed 3 handfuls of large cents in her out stretched hands. The large cents dated between 1842 and 1852. 34 large cents, a bank of Upper Canada ½ penny token, and a Bank of Nova Scotia ½ penny token!!

Now that was a good day Dirt-Fishing!

cheers Jeff

Attachments

• 13Dec07pennys2_001.jpg
    13Dec07pennys2_001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2,622

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey cow.. since I havent found one yet, I am curious as to the value of them. UNREAL totally AWESOME FINDS.

big time congrats and I voted banner big time..

wtg big time..
booty

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh my you found someones hard times money to buy staples. Great cache

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow fantastic finds!!!

BANNER!!!

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
I've had dreams exactly like that. I'll be walking and see one coin which leads to another until I have an entire pocket full of coins. Great job.

Mike

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Outstanding find, man you must have been shaking at the knees. LOL

Voted banner also as this aint gonna happen again anytime soon. great stuff and would love to see some closer pics if you have the time.

Cheers Sasnz

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
that is a fantastic find! Sure beats my pre-depression era hidey-hole find a couple years ago.

Congrats.

Funkman

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Nice find! That is the most I have heard of found in one outing. A guy I worked with found 18 large cents in an old swimming hole on the very first day he started detecting. Every one of them were holed.

OP
OP
Dirt-Fisher

Dirt-Fisher

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2008
Taxachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab exp ll and SE
coinshooter said:
Just curious, have you been back? Perhaps that was only one cache or spill.
I went back and picked a couple more up.
I also found 3 quarts of whiskey buried nearby.
An interesting fellow that buried his money and his boose. It was to big to be a spill.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the whiskey in bottles , jars or what? Was it commercial liquor or shine? Sometimes a bottle of ancient booze can be worth as much as the coins! Monty

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You recieve my 1st ever banner vote

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread