Need info on Newhall placers

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Some of the guys at keen mining supply know about this place.
The only thing I have ever found their is Bullets, lots and lots of Bullets.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I tried to pan gravels from whitney cyn at the end of San Fernando rd. and did find a couple of specks. That was before I struck oil. Probably from a spill from one of the oil pumps on the hill side. Was a bitch getting my gear cleaned up.

hugesrvfan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I live in the area and along Boquet Canyon Road into the Angeles Forest, there have been success. I don't pan, only MD, but I have a lot of info on the area.

OP
OP
Yellow Hammer

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Hugesrvfan,

I was up there Thursday and wanted to play in Texas canyon. Turned off Bouquet Canyon Road and got as far as the solar panel and the road was washed out. Went to go the back way but the gate was locked. Went to Dry canyon but the gate was locked. Everything was locked. So I ended going to Standard hill. What a waist of time do they every open the forestry gates? I don't pan only MD.

hugesrvfan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
They use to open the gates but since the past couple of years with the major fires we've had, they keep the gates locked.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
OK.... First PLEASE let me say that I did not see Yellow's post until about 11PM. But we talked and at midnight I agreed to meet him AT 5:30 AM..... AHHH maybe I like to this waaaaayyyyyy too much, and anyways I was about 15 minutes late ;D ;D ;D. But we headed out to the old toll road in hopes of finding some old coinage or ??? I will be the first to say that I am a clearcut rookie when it comes to MDing, and I was TRULY grateful for the tips that Yellow gave me. We first hiked up the old road to look for the toll spot and MAN what a BEAUTIFUL canyon...

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

It didn't take long for Yellow to find a suitable place, and under the old 1920's asphalt, there was the original wood plank road. We hunted for hours, looking for the remains of the toll house and home but no luck.... The only thing that came of it was that Surferjoe or Yellow Hammer earned a NEW screen name.... Please say hello to ( drumrollllllllllll ) MR. 22 !!!! There is simply NO man alive, who would dig so deep, and so long, just to enjoy the mythical powers of the 22 caliber casing !!!! YOU are MY HERO !!!!

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

After that, we tried to find the other tollgate but again no luck. We did manage to locate what appeared to be lime kiln ??? Not sure, any ideas ??

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

After a stop at Lost Lake, and a run on Lone Pine looking for mines ( we found a couple mining something white just like at Dos Cabesas in the desert ). We then had a little lunch and headed up to the Texas Cut on Lytle Creek. Texas Cut was a hydraulic mining operation that was stopped due to environmental issues back in the late 1800's.

Lost Lake
DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

After that, we headed home with a HUGE haul.... although we did not strike it rich I had a GREAT time out.... Thankx again to MR 22... I mean Yellow Hammer, I learned a lot about MDing and ha d a GREAT time....

Our Haul
DSC_0037.JPG

Thankx
PLL

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos! Some times it's the history and the experience you find instead of monetary riches. Sounds like you had a fun hike.

Steve

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Keep fooling with Yellow Hammer and you'll find gold. If it was easy I we would have all of the gold dug up by now, or I should say there would be no more gold left.

Cool post and thanks for the neat photos :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
Yellow Hammer

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Hey PPL,
Had a great time I just wish lead and brass was 1000.00 spot price we would be rich. LOL. I think we did about 10 miles yesterday but it was a blast. :thumbsup: Here are three more pics. I like Mr 22 that's funny. Hey PPL you need to post my 1 1/2 ft deep hole this way I can show the power of a minelab P.I. detector for the none believers. :o

Attachments

• 100_1319.jpg
    100_1319.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_1318.jpg
    100_1318.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_1317.jpg
    100_1317.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 304

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I know of NOONE, who would spend soooooo much time, digging to the " immense " depth of the Minelab, only to find a 22 casing. Mr 22s dedication to his craft is absolutely " certified " ( if you know what I mean ) ;D ;D ;D I know, I hear you saying " Hey PLL you're NUTS!!!! Noone does that !!! "..... Well here's the proof.... and I rest my case....

PLL
DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_00521.JPG

and if we had enough time Mr 22 may have gone this far....
DSC_0058.JPG

BruceHuffington

Feb 13, 2006
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Yellow Hammer,

I like that pick you carry with you. Can you tell me where you got it... I'd like to get one myself.

Thanks

- Bruce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread