Anyone familiar with the Book Where to find gold in Southern California?

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Never heard of it. Sounds interesting. Alway interested in old gold mines.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Opus1,
I have had one for awhile and it is a GREAT read... I don't know if Mr. Klein is still alive though.... But It will be interesting if you have him. If you do PLEASE send me a PM....

Thankx
PLL

hugesrvfan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I too have read this several times. Are you talking about the mine somewhere near Acton? Where the crazy fella may have killed a resident for tresspassing near his cabin? Let me know. I live fairly close to there and have been researching where the cabin was.

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
Yes I have that book as well.

I had a question about one of the stories and I contacted the publisher of the book. They told me they would forward the message to James Klien.. but I never received a reply.

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Actually, my question was about the story he tells at the beginning of the book where he talkes about the Mine that he was looking for and found. I have been looking for a mine that the Indians worked in the Sespe and where the Santa Barbara missionaries built them a small chuch near the mine they worked. Anyway, Alot of what Klein says in relation to "his" mine points to the mine I have been looking for and he throws the reader off by stating it is in the "mountains" south of LA? I've re-read his story over and over and the more I read it the more I am convinced he is talking about the Sespe mine.
I am curious as to where he lives as he states it was within a short drive from where he and his family were taking a sunday outing.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey tapout,
I just googled James Klein and mining and here is what I got:

Both Jim Klein and Jerry Keene born in the thirties, have enjoyed prospecting and mining for over forty years. Jim is now a full time prospector, author, screenplay writer and actor. When not on the screen, you will find him somewhere out there prospecting. He is actively involved in television commercials, guest appearances on television talk shows and is a well known guest speaker for various mining organizations.

Jerry Keene has been the president and CEO of Keene engineering for over 35 years. This company is known as the "worlds largest manufacturer of portable mining equipment". He has been an avid prospector for over 40 years and has since been dedicated to developement and manufacturing of the world's finest portable mining equipment

I would try to locate Jerry Keene first since it might be easier and see if he put you in contact or get a email/regular address for you...

Here's a link for you as well, it names his kids... maybe you can look them up on ancestory.com or maybe even a telephone book...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-116337520.html

PLL

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Jim is a great guy, met him a few times, great prospector who always enjoys sharing knowledge. It's been a while and couldn't find his number, but if you call Pedersons Metal detectors in Santa Ana, Ca. Talk to John Forrey, the manager. He will know how to get in touch with him. BTW...... Great store, very helpful and knowledgible at any point during or after the sale.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I spent a little time talking to Jim at the last GPAA show in San Bernardino a few months ago.
He was doing just fine then.
I have that book, I will re look at the story, he may well be talking about the Sespe mine or
one of the Frazier Park stories. I will let you know if I have any more insight.
Rich

Calavo

Greenie
Dec 9, 2009
Fallbrook
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST
If you get the Gold Prospectors mag. (official GPAA mag), you are probably also familiar with J Klein. He is their metal detector reviewer and is in this latest issue (Jan/Feb 2010 p. 42) reviewing the White GMZ. I did not realize the connection until I had read a couple of his books and was looking through an old issue and caught the name. He-like the rest us-has aged a bit since the writing of that book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread