OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 30. When you get your hands on the detector, let me know what kind it is. I would like to get a plan going to hunt out in the area. I have a buddy who says he'd be interested too. He's down in San Diego and we have had a few tips for some interesting things out there. That might have to wait for a future trip. Get that detector and let's go try to check out the points on the map you found! We need to contact the BLM to make sure it's public land first. If not, we need to try to get permission to detect. Otherwise if we happen to find something good, we won't get to keep it.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a small section on my Google Earth that has cloud cover cropped into it. Can you check out Ghost Mountain and tell me if you have cloud cover there as well?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Yeah, that cloud seems a little bit intentional for some reason. You can make it go away though. Click on the clock, and drag the pointer that pops up back to June 6 2009. The cloud will go away.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh cool, thanks. They have some pictures described as a view from an old cabin there but I don't see the cabin. I kinda wonder if something was found up there or if they're working on something and put the cloud cover over it for whatever reason. I'll probably check it out in a week or two.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
as far as that old house goes, It may be on BLM land. I think it's in the territory of Gibbel Park, but I'm not absolutely certain about that.
If it falls into square 25, I don't know who's land that is. If it falls into square 30, I believe that green area is BLM land.
Here's the link I found for that.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=GA

It's located north of Crow Road so I'm thinking it's in 26. We'll need to contact BLM to check but if private property, we can always try to get permission. Most people are pretty accommodating about it so it shouldn't be too hard.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Hey custom,

I got that detector, it's a bounty hunter land star. I decided to try it in my back yard. My GF hid three pennies, a dime, a nickel and a quarter out there. I found the quarter and one penny out of that... :laughing7:

There's several new holes in my grass that I'm going to have to seed now :laughing7:

Out of twelve holes I dug, I found

1 piece of steel trash
1 piece of what I believe is aluminium ( came up as a quarter on the MD)
2 weird round things that I think used to belong to a wind chime
2 toy cars.

That's a 50% success rate! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Not bad for my first time MDing. Hopefully next time I can find a couple of pennies or something. What a pain in the neck it is digging a hole, and trying to find a small disk in there.

it was fun though. Tomorrow, I'm gonna hit the park by the riverbed and see what happens

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Make sure you keep all your finds. I have a bag full of crap that I've dug up. How old is the detector? Where did you get your technique from?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I have no idea how old it is. I'll do some internet research and try to find out. I'm guessing probably 10-15 years old.

Technique? Ummm I just swung it around until it made noise. Then I changed the noise it was making to disk, and it made it a little easier to dial in on whatever was in the dirt. I'm sure there's better ways, but that was the first time I've used it, and there wasn't anyone around to guide me

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch some youtube videos on how to detect. They will help you with the proper speed and height from the ground. You need to figure out how to properly use the discrimination too.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I'm trying to watch youtube videos on how to metal detect. Any come to mind that you can refer me to? Most of these are pretty boring, and misleading. One of them said metal detecting tips, and it was nothing but what the dude found (old belt buckles etc.)

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm none really come to mind. The basics: go slow and go low. As long as the settings are right, you should do fine. To check the settings, either refer to the owner's manual or google the name of your detector and try to find the manual online.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Well I tried the backyard again today, and with the different settings, I found one of the nickles and two pennies. I can't seem to find that dime she hid.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the cave in your avatar from?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
That's an old silver mine near Lancaster. I was supposed to be driving to Bakersfield, but I stopped when I saw a bunch of old mines and wandered around a bit, and came across that. It was collapsed about ten or fifteen feet in.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should go back with your detector!

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I know, but it's four hours away, and since silver rarely comes out in nugget form, it doesn't seem worth it. Plus, I think most of the hill I found it on is claimed. But there's some old houses out there, and no one seemed to mind that I was wandering around aimlessly out there. There's shafts, tunnels, and open pits out there. I found some cool looking rocks, that look kind of like the inside of geodes, but they're not geodes. At least I don't think they are.

34°58'14.42N 118°10'21.95W

It's almost to where 14n? hits the 58? I can't remember if those are the freeways.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they all silver mines? Are you sure they're all man-made?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread