REVIVE THE CALIFORNIA FORUM SECTION!!!!!!

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live in one of the most treasure rich states in the nation but this section of the forum is falling apart! I'm going to try to post here almost every day and hope others will do the same. Let's show a little California pride and hopefully work together to find all the gold in them thar hills!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
customx_12, have you ever heard the old saying: "crowds draw crowds"? It's a true psychological phenonema that people looking at where they will "hang out" will subconsciously look at who's already there, how exciting and/or vibrant it is, etc..... If it's not populated, not vibrant, etc.... they move on. You know, why go to a party, if there's just 3 or 4 other people there keeping to themselves? Why attend a church if the pews around you are empty? Why cruise main in your hot rod, if no other young toughs or cute girls are there? And so on, and so forth the "crowds draw crowds" saying rings true.

The same is true therefore, for hobbyist forums unfortunately: if no one seems to be posting interesting topics to discuss, and no one's posting interesting finds for others to salivate over, then go figure, why would lookie-lous keep checking back daily?

And sure, you and/or I can try to fill the pages here with interesting conversation starters, but the problem is, the niche has already been filled, and persons are already elsewhere at the party "where the action is". Not that there's anything wrong with this "party", but when people tend to post their latest finds, and get their questions answered, etc... elsewhere, why would they take the time to post elsewhere, when, as said, "there's no crowds there"?

Yes, it's a catch-22. It's the same reason why it would be EXTREMELY hard to offer a substitute, for example, to craigslist. No matter how superior your posting board may be, people will always just subconsciously go to the established site, because they already know that ... so too will readers, be there to buy and sell.

The site for CA persons to keep abreast of other CA issues (finds, Q&A, etc...) is the Kinzli forum. Not sure why it ever became this way, but ........ it did, and that, as said, just grows on itself.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that we need to offer something that they don't. I'm not sure what that something is there is a way to draw more to the party. Besides, someone has to get the party started!

Maybe plan more local hunts? Give away better tips? Maybe have the site offer a discount incentive to join the GPAA? We need something to draw them here. I don't want to just throw my hands up and give up because they're bigger. In a forum setting especially, I find that the more people, the more jerks. So maybe we can target the beginners more with a nicer bunch of people?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Custom, the key word, in your last sentence, is "... bunch.... ", right? But that's the hitch, you have to have a "bunch" to get a "bunch" more, right? Ie.: the old "crowds draw crowds" psychology.

And you can try, if you want, to get that "party started", but it's going to be very difficult, because of this very psychology, that if there's no "party", then it's never "started". And so on and so forth the vicious circle goes.

From a business standpoint, I've seen competitors come into my town, thinking they could start up a competing business to mine (street sweepers for const./asphalt related work). They look at my profit margin, and figure SURELY they can offer a lower priced product. And sure enough, they can :) So they go out and plaster my customers with leaflets, business cards, cold-calls, etc... advertising their lower prices. And perhaps they even have better equipment, nicer drivers, etc.... But guess what? At the end of the day, very few customers switch, EVEN though the alternative may actually be a better one. Why is that? Because people tend to stay with what they're familiar with, and if one method "isn't broken", why fix it? Oh sure, if they're hard up, they may be tempted with $5 p/h price difference. But mostly, I see customers who just prefer our service, simply because they know we'll be there, know we can do the job, and it is "no risk" in their mind. Yup, even with our warts, higher prices, and all.

Sure it's unfair to the startups. But it's human nature, psychology, etc... The first one who puts his "shingle out" in a town, tends to always have it easier than the 2nd guy with his shingle out, no matter what the quality or price.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking that if we set out to compete with them, we'll be going about it the wrong way. Let's just do our thing and gradually have people want to participate more. If nobody posts here, nobody will show up. At least a couple postings will invite people to trickle in. We don't have to be as big as them or rival them. Just sort of offer an alternative to what they're offering. If you really want to use your business example, all you need to do is look at what Facebook did to Myspace. Just because there is a major player out there doesn't mean we should throw in the towel and give up. Shoot, we have three in this thread already!

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I like Treasurenet, but it's awful slow here. It feels like it takes two days to get a response on any topic I post in. I agree. If people posted more in here, instead of lurking (I'm guilty) it would be a little bit more fun. I'll try to post in this thread every day too, if there's a topic that I know about, or can find some info on. Maybe other people will start participating as well.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I signed up at that other California forum (who's name shall not be mentioned) and was VERY disappointed. Not very many posts and the forum itself wasn't very easy to navigate. This one is better.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Yeah, I clicked on some link that was supposed to be where the CA guys are all at. I signed up, and it wasn't much at all. I thought it was a bit hard to navigate as well. I haven't even gone back

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
treasurechest and customx_12, then either

a) you must not have been on the *current* kinzli for (because he changed servers a few years ago, but just left the other standing with a "forwarding address", or

b) you must not have gone past the beginner page. You need to click on "general discussion", and there's scores of chit-chat posts, topics, etc... every day.

So something doesn't seem right. I count, for example, 8 topics started just since mid-day yesterday, for example. You have to be a member to get past the beginner page. Unlike t'net, where anyone can read, and you only have to sign up if you intend to post. On the Kinzli forum, however, you must sign up just to get to the main pages, even just to read. Something to do with spam controls. Try again, as something doesn't sound right for your assesment of "not many posts", etc.....

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are so many sites offering insight on California, that you have many people going to many different sites. That leaves a little info everywhere.....

PLL

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if more people posted here, we wouldn't need to go to all of those other sites.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites TM 808, Garrett AT PRO, H3 Super Alien
Primary Interest:
Other
Customx_12,

You know what you want to see in a forum. And you have a pretty good idea what others are looking for. Post it here. Keep it fresh. Or very old. And they will come. You have many comments already and there is nothing here yet. Give us a reason to return. Set the example. What will excite the Californian's lust for adventure and instant wealth.
Like you, we all want to know the location of a yet undiscovered cache so we can find it first. Maybe this will be the place. I will be checking back with you.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watcher 2 said:
Customx_12,

You know what you want to see in a forum. And you have a pretty good idea what others are looking for. Post it here. Keep it fresh. Or very old. And they will come. You have many comments already and there is nothing here yet. Give us a reason to return. Set the example. What will excite the Californian's lust for adventure and instant wealth.
Like you, we all want to know the location of a yet undiscovered cache so we can find it first. Maybe this will be the place. I will be checking back with you.

Well, whatever I'm doing seems to be working as it enticed you to post and to keep checking back. Time will tell I suppose.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope for the best. California has many stories to tell.

DaCapt

Apr 24, 2011
Reno,Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this Forum, but not new to MDing. Old Station,California (Shasta County)checking in.
HH all!!

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
DaCapt

Old Station looks like it might be good gold country. Welcome. Good to know what part of the country our friends are from.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never md'ed northern California. Get any good nuggets up there or relics?

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Customx_12,

If you are up for an adventure, get off the beaten path, and find a local willing to show you around. You can easily pay the rent every month. For now there is plenty of BLM land open to the weekend prospector. Many GPAA clams open to members. And many abandoned mining towns in the deep dark woods. All depends on the effort you are willing to put into it.
Good hunting.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm back in CA! Back at the girlfriend's place. I like it here.... sorta. That is to say.... the md'ing potential is VERY high here. Pun intended! Ha ha. The lack of interest on this specific spot is only temporary ... and cyclic, to be sure. I am not a proponent of the CA political direction but that is a different story. California is a big place, with many diverse detecting interests. The only self mutilation I see is here (as far as md'ing goes) is that CA is stuck on the GOLD standard and not reporting much else. Give it time and a little spark. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread