Newbie - Test Garden Question

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all. Getting into metal detecting - Tesoro Vaquero on order. Wanted something in the lower price range that will let me at least feel like I have a shot at a bit of everything. I live a couple hours from my claim where I recover using traditional methods, and I want to try my hand at the parks/beaches/old sites ect. as well as look for any nuggets on the claim. Tall order, I know, but what the heck. Also, went to school in Prescott so liked the idea of a Tesoro.

Getting to my question, if I put a vial of flake gold in my test garden, do you think it would make my metal detector react like a little nugget would? I'd used a plastic one - would hate for glass to break when I recovered it (been there). Might have to just try to trade to get a little test nugget.

Also, keeping a lookout for adventures in the Kern/SLO county area as far as myths and legends. Looking forward to this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know much about nugget hunting, but from a quick scan of the vaquero spec's, it appears to be one of the cross-over hybrids that can do both nuggets AND coins/relics (?) Most machines that can swap back and forth between both venues, excell in neither arena. Ie.: they may do decent, but there will be specialty machines, for each venue, that will do better.

Not sure if the vaquero can do FLAKES though. Start with pinhead sized nuggets, and see if you can get an air test signal. Then put the vial on top of the ground, and test some more (so that the back-ground of the nugget is now the ground the nugget is sitting on top of). Then try burying it a hair, and so forth.

As far as Bakersfield area, I'd done some hunting in your area. Good luck!

PS: also pulled barbers, IH's, mercs, etc... from the courthouse lawn in Prescott. But that was nearly 20 yrs. ago. Perhaps it's been worked out by now by others :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey 8,
Yes, most detectors will sound-off on gold. But how much is needed is the question. As Tom mentioned, a gold/coin machine is always a compromise. Choose one or the other for the best bang for your buck. Get two... one for each. If the wallet is not fat enough for both... hmmmm...... pick one and go for it! I have done very well over the years on the FL and NC beaches. I have found JARS of baubles and some good rings. As for gold, I have both the GMT and the GB2 yet have NOT found any nuggets. I no longer work and I have a somewhat fat wallet so I am able to buy more detectors than I need. As for the vial of gold, use the whole vial with the Tesoro then "thin it down" to the smallest amount you can get a signal with. Don't go too deep---- 2 inches is fine. Once you "tune 'r in", then consider putting the vial deeper. Satisfied with the results? If not, use it on the beach. Wow, my two typing fingers are getting blistered. This is enough for now! Good Luck. TTC

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you try the above suggestions but still can't seem to pick it up, try getting a smaller coil.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Customx_12 said:
If you try the above suggestions but still can't seem to pick it up, try getting a smaller coil.
Thanks Custom,
I forgot to mention that important suggestion. TTC

OP
OP
8KCAB

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great suggestions. That's what I love about internet forums - actually having someone who cares about the same things you do. The gold test is a nonissue now - I finished my cleanup and sent ALL my placer to my smelter/broker. At almost $1600/oz. spot these days, I'm to greedy to keep any for tests - I guess I can use my wedding ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread