8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, all.

I'm planning my first real expedition. I'm going explore around Robber's Roost near Inyokern. It's only an hour or two from where I live, and I wanted to get out in the Mojave. I just kind of picked is based on information in the "United States Treasure Atlas, Volume 2" by Thomas P. Terry on pages 154 and 155. It seems that it has probably been explored pretty well, and I really do not have a cache hunting detector, but I just want to get out there.

I use the Kern County Geographic Information System (http://www.co.kern.ca.us/gis/) and Google Earth to check it out. I can use the APN's off the GIS to get parcel ownership information from a title company website - to check for private property. Things look OK so far, (many parcel owners listed as "USA" - federal land) but I'm a little worried that it is near the California Aquaduct, with property being owned by L.A. County. It's listed as public, but I'm thinking there may be some heartburn about operating near a water supply.

Anyway's, I was wondering if anybody had any info on the area. I am especially interested on any precise info related to the location of the Freeman Junction stage station - or just general tips on what to look for when determining where ruins may have once stood in the desert.

From "United States Treasure Atlas, Volume 2" by Thomas P. Terry p.154-155:

"Freeman S. Raymond operated the Freeman Junction stage station, bar and rest stop SW of today's location of Freeman Junction... It was believed by his relatives and friends that he buried a considerable amount of gold coins... The hoard is probably in the area of the spring in the wash just below the site of his stage station..."

Any info/advice is appreciated!

***UPDATE EDIT***

Found some more good info here: http://wikimapia.org/country/USA/California/Indian_Wells/

***ANOTHER UPDATE***

Let me know how you think these two skylines match up:

Attachments

• Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 996
OP
OP
8KCAB

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent the last weekend at the site of the old Freeman Stage stop. It was originally known as "Coyote Holes", and was active from the 1870's through the beginning of the last century. The best known event was a robbery conducted by the Vasquez gang. It was said that they hid in Robber's Roost, a rock formation about a mile south of the stage station, before robbing the station. Amounts vary, but the best information I uncovered revealed that $1700 was stolen. There are other lengends indicating that a stage was swept away in a flash flood that contained gold bullion. It is also said that the stage station owner, Freeman, hid caches of gold around his place. He seemed to have a booming liquor business in addition to is normal activities.

I was able to camp in the wash just below the level area where the stop was situated:

stage stop.JPG

Here's the view of where the stage stop was from Robbers Roost:

view.JPG

This is a small cave, now caved-in, which the Freeman's used as a root cellar:

cave.JPG

I didn't find anything of note, only lots of square head nails. You can make out where the rock walls were. There is plenty of trash around. It is situated right next to the LA viaduct. Had a lot of fun!

DaCapt

Apr 24, 2011
Reno,Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool hunt! Great photos! Thanks for sharing! HH!

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
Since you want to venture out in this area I thought you might like to see this old reference map. My family "saw" :wink: a lot of color around the Jawbone Canyon area back in the '50's-60's. The family has maintained homes in the Randsburg area going back over 60yrs, until 3 yrs. ago when the last one got too old to be alone out there. :icon_pirat:M

Map of California and Nevada deserts and Mines, LA Times,1905
http://digital.library.unlv.edu/objects/LV_Maps/826

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt 8K,
A couple real good treasure finds were made there, one for 50,000 from stage robbery, and another for 58,800 Gold and Silver Bullion in the strong box from 1862 by treasure hunter Frank Fish. Still another cache never found near there I am looking for. Plan to do some scouting again of where its said to have been on my next trip over Walker Pass. Lots of Indian chips where I looked last summer and some really old plank wood with square nails. One of the clues I have is lead me to the old wood. I would recomend if ya camp there again 8K pitch yer tent up out of the washes.. I have been there when all hell's broke loose in the sky.. don't want to have to go look for a lost treasure hunter. Good luck and hit that place again. Thanks for the pictures 8K

OP
OP
8KCAB

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a bit late, but thanks for the replies.

That is a cool map.

Good advice also on camping in a wash. I'd be willing to take a trip down a gully if it meant we could get some darn rain, though!

corvettejk

Jan 9, 2011
Hi 8KCAB:
I wasn't going to try to revive this old thread but since you already did I'll go with it. My son and I ride dirt bikes at Jawbone and Dove Springs and I have always wanted to spend an afternoon kicking around Freeman Station. Have you found anything good (that you are willing to talk about)? Any tips (that you are willing to share)? I second the caution about camping in a wash. I once saw a flash flood out by Twentynine Palms. Serious stuff, not to be taken lightly. Good luck.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great, i like the pictures... im about to venture out to the mohave soon with my metal detector.

OP
OP
8KCAB

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you found anything good (that you are willing to talk about)? Any tips (that you are willing to share)? I second the caution about camping in a wash.

No, I didn't find anything good. There's lots of junk around, people have been dumping on the shelf where the buildings were. The legends say that Freeman might have buried caches around his property - 100-some acres. It's also said the gold from the stage that was caught in the flood would be downstream. The stop is located just east up the wash from where the dirt road crosses it. Huge pipelines for the LA aqua duct crops the wash above ground just west of the road. Probably a good time to go now, chilly nights though. Good luck!

Smorriso

Greenie
Oct 2, 2011
Good hunt 8K,
A couple real good treasure finds were made there, one for 50,000 from stage robbery, and another for 58,800 Gold and Silver Bullion in the strong box from 1862 by treasure hunter Frank Fish. Still another cache never found near there I am looking for. Plan to do some scouting again of where its said to have been on my next trip over Walker Pass. Lots of Indian chips where I looked last summer and some really old plank wood with square nails. One of the clues I have is lead me to the old wood. I would recomend if ya camp there again 8K pitch yer tent up out of the washes.. I have been there when all hell's broke loose in the sky.. don't want to have to go look for a lost treasure hunter. Good luck and hit that place again. Thanks for the pictures 8K

Can you confirm when Mr.Fish found the lost strong box? I've never heard or read anything about it being found. I'd love to hear the details if you know them. I've spent significant time looking there without success, maybe this explains why!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you confirm when Mr.Fish found the lost strong box? I've never heard or read anything about it being found. I'd love to hear the details if you know them. I've spent significant time looking there without success, maybe this explains why!

Pretty well known that Fish spent several years looking around Robber's Roost. A picture of the find is in his book from 1963:

Buried-Treasure-Lost-Mines

He also found a couple of other things in the area that he didn't publicize. One of the reasons for his murder and the robbing of his museum after.

Mike

Smorriso

Greenie
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks. I'd heard about the robbery loot being found, but had never heard about the strongbox from the flash flood being recovered. Any chance on talking about what he found and didn't publicize? If not, I understand.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'd heard about the robbery loot being found, but had never heard about the strongbox from the flash flood being recovered. Any chance on talking about what he found and didn't publicize? If not, I understand.

That wasn't the strongbox from the flooded stagecoach. That was the robbery strongbox from a cave near the base of the Roost. As far as I know, the flood strongbox has never been recovered.

One thing I know he recovered that is in the book (but he doesn't take credit for it) were the 500 pound silver balls that were dumped in a ravine not far from the Roost. The mines had been robbed so many times, that they took to casting the silver into huge 500 pound balls. Robbers ran off the driver, but couldn't figure how to take the balls. Time was short, so they ran the wagon up a ravine, rolled the balls off one side, then collapsed the side of the ravine over them. For whatever reason, they never made it back to get them.

Mike

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread