Anyone do any panning on Piru Creek just north of the lake?

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Older model Tesoro B2 UMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I went to Piru last year for the first time I prospected. I really didn't have an idea what I was doing, an I found zero. I was near a GPAA claim. I do want to go back soon.

getgoldequip

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
staticmap

Want to go with someone that has been there before. Have my turbopan and detector. Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
getgoldequip said:
Want to go with someone that has been there before. Have my turbopan and detector. Let me know if you are interested.

I never saw this post, sorry.

I would really like to go back to piru creek. First time I went I found zero gold. I really had no idea what I was doing. It was my one of my first prospecting days.

I don't know that area well buy love to explore. Lets go sluicing there sometime! I will drive. You live in leisure village? I'm just around the corner !

Send me a pm sometime brother!

getgoldequip

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
Sounds great. I have a little rocker box and a turbopan. Want to used the detector too. Send me a message on my regular email. Getgold at verizon.net

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my son and 4 other Scouts to the GPAA claim near Gold Hill and dug all day test panned a dozen spots and ran a EZ sluice till dark.
meet a local there and they said that almost 20 miles on this creek has been dredged for the last 30 years.
We found nothing but the cleanest black sand I have ever seen.
2 months later we took the Scouts and went to Heaton Flats on the East Fork San Gabriel River.
We worked the east bank under a 10 ton bolder and had run several buckets when we hit a pocket.
In 3 shovel fulls we pulled out almost 8 grams of nice flakes.
The other Dads and I agreed to give it all to the Scouts.
For the 6 Scouts it came out to about 100 pieces each.
That was a few years now, but they will always remember that strike.
East Fork SG River is still my most common mining destination to this day.
I'm only 57 miles by freeway.
I'll be there Wed Nov.14th for 3 nights.

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the same luck at the GPAA claim. I've been several times, since it's only about 30min from home. I was disappointed to see all the graffiti and broken bottles. A couple nice swimming holes and maybe some good fishing too.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Yup, I went to gold hill area and found zeeeero color. Strike out! Hahaha. That's place is nice but think you have go far offff to find any color there. Pretty sure some of that creek is claimed as well.

B

Brookie

I have only found .4 in like ten times at the east fork but I still love the gold so I will go back.

Last edited:

guyport89

Mar 2, 2013
Kern County Ca
Blue point was the vrry first place I learned to pan as a kid when I was there ten years ago color was great a 1/4 mile past the road crossing. Im interested in going back but from the cut off its nearly a 13 mile hike in

Apr 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
I wish!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was back in the area about a month or so ago....it is a good loooooong hike just to get back there....but once you are in the area, it is so wonderful isn't it. The last time I just road my bike all the way in, much faster. Can't wait to go back and poke around a bit.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only experience I have with Piru Ck. was back in 1986, and it didn't have to do
with gold, rather it was a bunch of drunken young idiots trying to raft Piru Ck.
when it was waaayyy too low.

2 cheap rafts, 4 fools, a case of beer and off we went. When it was
done I never wanted to try again, as my arse was so sore from bashing the rocks
I couldn't sit for a couple days..lol

Last edited:

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I was back in the area about a month or so ago....it is a good loooooong hike just to get back there....but once you are in the area, it is so wonderful isn't it. The last time I just road my bike all the way in, much faster. Can't wait to go back and poke around a bit.

Yup, lovely there but I found ZERO gold, LOL :)

Nice hike and tons of deer.

Cheers

Mellow...

B

Brookie

To: CaliforniaGirl and Guyport89

Did you ever find any gold? Like even a tiny bit? I want to try that area because I have only been to the San Gabriel and the Kern so far. Thanks

Last edited:

guyport89

Mar 2, 2013
Kern County Ca
Sorry for the late response, it's only been a few years haha, I did find color in the creek as well as some Jade, I rode my bike beyond the last creek crossing, stashed it and hiked and sampled all the way up. I spiked on the creek to keep exploring next day. With the amount of scrambling huge boulders, poison oak and Rattlers it was not worth the gold but always worth the adventure. Hope this thread finds you, cheers

Guy

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for the late response, it's only been a few years haha, I did find color in the creek as well as some Jade, I rode my bike beyond the last creek crossing, stashed it and hiked and sampled all the way up. I spiked on the creek to keep exploring next day. With the amount of scrambling huge boulders, poison oak and Rattlers it was not worth the gold but always worth the adventure. Hope this thread finds you, cheers

Guy
Are you talking about the creek up beyond blue point?
If so, is the cabin still standing?

Regor64

Mar 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am visiting from Ohio and I am looking for the best place to pan for gold in the piru creek.I don't want to hike a long way to get to the site. I am staying in Ventura.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread