How can I gain access to SoCal Sanborn maps?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It used to be easy, a few years ago, to get passwords to the Sanborn maps online. Even for the whole USA. But that was slowly choked out, for whatever reason. I guess they want you to pay for the access. Anyhow, you have it figured out that .... yes .... a library card gets you access, if your particular library is signed up. I have it through the San Jose Library, for instance (they have only the CA sanborns for their access).

You've got to simply contact each library in your area, and find out if they have them. And actually, since most public libraries are on-line (ie.: have websites), all you need to do is simply go to their website, and look around. You know, like click on "on-line resources" (or whatever), an so forth. Keep following through the chain to see what they offer. Or perhaps they have a key-word search, and you can try "maps" or "sanborn" etc... Try not only city libraries, but also university libraries.

Once you find out which library has them, then it's simply a matter of getting a library card. This can be tricky since they might require you to be a resident of that particular city or county? Or a student (or staff) at that particular college? I dunno.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to be easy, a few years ago, to get passwords to the Sanborn maps online. Even for the whole USA. But that was slowly choked out, for whatever reason. I guess they want you to pay for the access. Anyhow, you have it figured out that .... yes .... a library card gets you access, if your particular library is signed up. I have it through the San Jose Library, for instance (they have only the CA sanborns for their access).

You've got to simply contact each library in your area, and find out if they have them. And actually, since most public libraries are on-line (ie.: have websites), all you need to do is simply go to their website, and look around. You know, like click on "on-line resources" (or whatever), an so forth. Keep following through the chain to see what they offer. Or perhaps they have a key-word search, and you can try "maps" or "sanborn" etc... Try not only city libraries, but also university libraries.

Once you find out which library has them, then it's simply a matter of getting a library card. This can be tricky since they might require you to be a resident of that particular city or county? Or a student (or staff) at that particular college? I dunno.

Thanks, Tom! Yeah, the only library near me that has access to the maps is about a two hour drive. Do you know if I'll be able to print up some of the old maps?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CustomX12,
What are you looking for, specifically, if you don't mind me asking.
Don....

I have a couple places down in the San Diego area I would like to look at and my family has a few chunks of land that we know used to have some type of buildings on it but we don't know what they were. Was hoping I can find a Sanborn map to help me out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Then all you need to do, is inquire about getting a library card there. Perhaps they require patrons to be local residents (and thus you might have to show your driver's license, or utility bill, or some such proof). But maybe not. There may be a minor cost for out-of-area card-holders. Doesn't hurt to ask. Or ..... heck, just invent an addres there. Or like if you know someone in that city, simply ask them if they mind if you open a library card in their name. Once you do that, presto, you'll just go their under their card. For my access via San Jose library (1 hr. north of me), for example, I didn't even bother trying to get a library card there. I simply knew a few people in that area, and asked each of them "do you have a library card?" Once I found someone who did, they just gave me their name and password (which was nothing but their phone #, for instance, which was no sweat or security on their part). And since I knew them (we are friends), they just said "sure". But even if it hadn't been for that, I think it would be possible to get a card in ANY library, somehow.

And yes, once you're there, and logging on to their on-line sanborn maps, you can print out whatever's on your 'puter screen (assuming you have a printer at your 'puter :))

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Custom12;
Google the address and see what comes up. If the sites were in business districts, you have a good chance of getting positive 'hits'. If you wish to relate to this thread the block (between what streets and on what street) you are interested in, we may be able to help.

Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread