What experiences do you have hunting LA parks?

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there - as you might know I am new to California and itching to get back out with my etrac. I've researched a few older parks in LA but not too sure on the areas yet and if they are safe. I am used to hunting in some shady areas of Chicago and usually very early Saturdays worked out good if we finished up and left by noon.

Does anyone have experience in LA? Anyone want to meet up for a hunt? I also know the more the marrier for hunting the shady parks.

I guess other questions I have is what are the ground conditions around LA? Is digging easy? How deep do coins sink here? Any special type of plug I should cut?

Thanks and HH! I can't wait to post my first California finds!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hey there - as you might know I am new to California and itching to get back out with my etrac. I've researched a few older parks in LA but not too sure on the areas yet and if they are safe. I am used to hunting in some shady areas of Chicago and usually very early Saturdays worked out good if we finished up and left by noon.

Does anyone have experience in LA? Anyone want to meet up for a hunt? I also know the more the marrier for hunting the shady parks.

I guess other questions I have is what are the ground conditions around LA? Is digging easy? How deep do coins sink here? Any special type of plug I should cut?

Thanks and HH! I can't wait to post my first California finds!

The problem with southern CA (L.A.) parks is that the older ones tend to be located in the "blighted" or skyscraper districts. Souther CA grew so friggin much in the 1940s and '50s, that what used to be downtown semi-residential districts are now usually skyscraper high-rise districts, or ...... very blighted ghetto districts. There was urban flight to the suburbs back in the 1940s and '50s, leaving older areas to become the skid rows.

Contrast that to the east coast and mid-west, where it's entirely possible to:

a) have towns that had a population of 10k people in 1940, that STILL have a population of 10k people (contrast to CA and a town of 10k people in 1940, is now 200k people).

b) parks that were surrounded by the "upscale district" at the turn of the century in lots of east coast or midwest towns, are STILL surrounded by the "upscale district" (meaning less trash from dereliction, abuse, poverty, etc...). Contrast to CA and parks that old are now in the run-down bad sides of towns.

Thus it's hard to pull barbers and seateds from your parks in So. CA. There's some guys down there who "make sport" of mining the junky parks for silver down there, but you'll notice that their tallies are heavily saturated with roosies, washingtons, mercs...., etc... Not many barbers or seateds. Because even if they DO and can hit parks that old, as I say, they tend to be in the blighted areas, full of junk, which mean more likely masking for the deeper older stuff (yet perhaps roosies and mercs can remain in view for someone willing to wrack their brains out trying to see in and around the foil, tabs, etc....)

There are probably exceptions, and I'm sure some parks might be better than others down there. But as a "general rule", this is what you'd find.

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comment Tom. Sounds about right to me. I'll accept that challenge and find a barber one of these day! I don't mind cleaning up a park of junk either lol. My knees are good enough to dig a ton of junk if it rewards me with something good. At least the park will be cleaner!

Still thinking about where I can find some gold tokens too...

Qlipphotic

Jan 19, 2014
San Pedro (Los Angeles)
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gimmie, I know it's been about a year since you posted this, but I just joined today and found your post! I'm totally interested in doing some hunts of the shadier parks around Los Angeles. I'm in San Pedro and even though it's an older section of Los Angeles, much of it has been cemented over unfortunately.

Anyway, shoot me a PM sometime or just reply to this reply :)

P.S. I really liked my Halloween picture, I'm not like this all the time (my avatar)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions