California

S

stefen

Have always been temped to try the sand corner areas next to the pier and the boardwalk.

These corners have always been used by surf sailer vendors over the years and may have some decent yeilds.

Carpenteria beaches next to the City Park is another place of interest.

Pismo Beach is another place of interest...its one of the few beaches in the world where people can drive onto the sand. Many people picnic there also...may also dig for pismo clams in season.

Check out the Monarch Butterfly Grove site just south of town....literally millions of them as they migrate.

Attachments

• pismo3.jpg
    pismo3.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • butterfly1.jpg
    butterfly1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • monarch.jpg
    monarch.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • monarchcluster.jpg
    monarchcluster.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,031
OP
OP
C

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Like duh with a capital D, I totally forgot about Pismo being a public beach, and you are right, there should be lots to find with all the vehicle traffic that runs that beach area.

Its only a 40 minute drive

S

stefen

There are several Missions in your area that could prove interesting. Several are discussed in treasure related books.

Attachments

• 02.gif
    02.gif
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,074
OP
OP
C

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Just looking at those today, have been to la Purisama de conception but will walk the sand trails out side the park area almost to the back end of my housing estate. never know what might show up

S

stefen

Calworks said:
Anyone from Paso Robles to Santa Barbara on this site? Interested in showing a rookie the tricks of the trade and share some legal spots?

Well, there you go. Check out the Mission trail behind your development.

Remember my consulting fee is 50%.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BE careful historical laws for md in ca.

OP
OP
C

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Fortunately the trails behind are outside the park area, however if historical artifacts would be found, h$%# I don't need them, I'll just donate them and say I found them in my neighbors back yard...maybe they'll dig his yard up instead... ;D ;D ;D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the central valley and in the mountains east of here there are a few historical places.Sometimes it depends on the ranger on duty to md the area.He said to be safe dont remove anything over 50 years old.We asked him if that meant us too iam 52 buddy is 60. :).That broke the ice and he laughed just dont take the whole forest. ::)

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Unfortunately, the law here in California is quite clear: NO metal detecting on state park lands! (State BEACHES, on the other hand, may be a gray area.) This included all the missions, and any other site declared "state historical site." You need to be a permitted archaeologist to do any sort of detecting/digging on those sites.

But it won't hurt to ask. The worst that will happen is you will be told "no," which is what you should expect to begin with.

M

Mike S (CA)

I have a few suggestions not sure if the will help but there is a California MDing forum call Kinzli's California Metal detecting forum. You can google it and if you introduce yourself you might just find someone close by. I think there are a few on the forum from mid coast. Also I am not sure what type of hunting you are interested in but there are some really old coins to be found if you are willing to put in the research. Also watch the demo's in the older parts of town. They can be good as well.

I wouldn't focus on the missions as much as trying to locate the rancheria or adobe's in your area. There are several experts in adobe hunting on the kinzli forum so don't be afraid to ask. You can start in the local library research pre-gold rush maps if they have them. If I lived in your area I would look for old stage routes as well. Thinking that there were stage stops every 10 to 20 miles and they had to have structures and maybe even a bar/hotel. Hopefully most of these type of sites will be on private property.

Look at the old maps in your area for structures that would be in open farm fields. Then work up a good story for the farmers. I.e. I am trying to locate an old Spanish adobe that may be in the southwest corner of the field. If you do happen to find something turn it over to the farmer. Trick here is he is going to tell the others in the area and that could open up even more. Find out where they have breakfast and bring your maps. Being just a little nice can go a long way.

Also if in your research look to see if there were any trails to the valley. Spanish may have had routes and those would also be something to check out.

Well as far as hunting beaches I only do it a few times a year storm erosion type hunting only because it takes an hour to get out there. I do hunt state beaches though and have never been hassled. Most of the beaches around San Francisco are federal and definitely off limits.

My 2 Zincs
Good Luck
Mike

OP
OP
C

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
AFTER SOME RESEARCH FOUND THAT AN OLD STAGE COACH ROUTE USED TO RUN THRU A TOWN AND ACROSS A DRY RIVER BED (NOW) VERY NEAR ME, GONNA HIT IT THIS WEEKEND IF WEATHER PERMITS, NARROWING THE SEARCH AREA FOR THE 1800s TRAIL IN BACK OF MY HOUSE. AMAZING WHAT A LITTLE RESEARCH WILL DO. JUST WISH THERE WAS MORE INFORMTION OUT THERE.

AS FOR METORITES LOOKS LIKE THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY REPORTED SIGHTINGS NEAR ME, MOST ARE IN THE DESERT TO THE EAST BY SEVERAL HOURS. HOWEVER I WILL BE TAKING THE MD WITH ME ON MY NEXT CAMPING TRIP TO THE LAKE

SLO HUNTER

Greenie
Jul 13, 2006
hey Calworks.....I'm up here in Paso. Theres all kinds of swimming holes, campgrounds, well anyway, you know the drill. Lots of history around here. gotta run for now....I'll check back later. out

OP
OP
C

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
have most definite plans on taking my MD to the lake we we go camping fporm now on. Little town of playto is now under water, but the lake level has dropped, and maybe some wave action (tons of water lice-skiers_ onthe water, plus all those campers, along the shoreline. could be a virgin place, never seen anyone do any MDing in the many times i'v been there.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Hi Calworks

I am in Los Osos and the beach hunting is very competive but there is a lot of beach to go around. Pismo and Avila are the best after a good storm and during the summer. Hit the schools and parks and vancant lots (a guy found a jar of gold coins in Santa Maria once). There is also a club that meets once a month in San Luis Obispo, www.cctha,org.

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Well, you know research is about 80 per cent of the finding, so with that said for now, go search out the San Luis Obispo Tribune Newspaper Articles of August 1897.....There you will find a "VERY INTERESTING" article about the ****GOLD DISCOVERY IN EL PASO DE ROBLES****and to top it off, there are Recent Geological Reports from Independent Companies that support the Article....Happy Trails

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so where you at, I am near Modesto, in the central valley.

jc from ceres, ca

aa battery said:
I live in the central valley and in the mountains east of here there are a few historical places.Sometimes it depends on the ranger on duty to md the area.He said to be safe dont remove anything over 50 years old.We asked him if that meant us too iam 52 buddy is 60. :).That broke the ice and he laughed just dont take the whole forest. ::)

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi Calworks,

You live in a good area to locate old sites, Start off with researching your area and branch out further north east near the area of kettleman city. This area shows great potential as well, The Spanish explorers ventured into this area and built adobe structures in this surrounding area near the great Tulare lake.

Also, Work on a routine of getting permission from property owners. Eventually you'll built a reputation of being trusted and property owners with historical sites on their properties will allow you on the property with open arms, And always give back to the property owners or community.

Please, Get permission to search properties with open range especially properties with historical interest, You'll be amazed how easy it is to get permission.

Good luck,
Paul (Ca)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huuummm didnt know about spanish in kettleman area sounds interesting.AA

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
AA Battery,

Actually, The Spanish explorers built an adobe near Avenal and another adobe near Kettleman about 2-3 miles from town. And near the present town of Laton off the river bank, This was long before these towns were established maybe sometime in the 1820-30's.

The Spanish built adobes near or on Indian villages near the outer shore lines of the Tulare Lake, Tulare lake was so big it was next to impossible to cross the central valley unless they traveled around the lake which took days.

I'll enclose a picture of an 1857 map of this particular area, Other interesting finds would be Indian artifacts from the shore line area of the Lake.

I have too many other areas that keep me busy, Maybe someday I'll venture into this area but for now I have my hands full.

HH, Paul

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 657

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread