dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tony, I have done the Holcombe trail, if you look around you can see a lot of history. At the time it was a good road. The gpaa also has some gold claims in the area, I have found gold on top of the caliche layer on those claims. As I said in a earlier post lots of abandoned gold mines and cabins in the area. I also used to live in Grants Pass Oregon years ago and have spent some time in Medford. You are very lucky. I think I miss going to Carls Jr. and getting the famous star almost as much as I miss the sunshine.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I first learned of the trail from a thread on T-Net a while back. It wasn't until I saw it mentioned again that I looked up it's location and was sort-a shocked that it's not real far from where we might be going. There are 3 plus' for me about the move. One is that the scenery is way better than FL. Two is the areas like Big Bear that are accessible and the history involved, I think it would be neat just to even walk around those same areas. The third is fishing, that's my biggest hobby (sorry fellow MDers). I might be able to say at some point that I've fished in the Atlantic Ocean, The Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean.. I think that's pretty cool.

Grants Pass, that sounds familiar. Did I maybe have to go throu there to get to Medford. I remember stopping in some little town, we stopped for dinner on our way home. If memory serves, there were some caves near this town that you could explore. My wife said she's been there before and I thought I would like to go. This had to be around '97 or '98.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Sorry it's takem me few days to respond, got busy.
Thanks Mackaydon, I'll check those sites out.
Again, I gotta say thanks everyone for the info, it's been a lot of help to me. We still don't know what we're doing yet but I just wanted to get as much info beforehand as I can get. I'll definitely post again when we decide what we're going to do. If I do end up out that way, I might be asking for anyone that lives near there if they're interested in giving a guided tour.

hillbillyinca

Nov 29, 2012
You won't need a guided tour out here if you have a good GPS it will take you everywhere you want to go and don't have a heart attack if you find out fishing is a lot more expensive out here lol

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Hillbillyinca, I have a GPS that I'll update before we go, but you said fishing is more expensive.... that's not funny man, don't joke like that ( at least I hope you were joking). Why is it more expensive? I don't know anything about fishing in that area, except the ocean's about 45 mins away. I know I'm in FL, but I really don't do any freshwater fishing but I may have to learn.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony, not sure if you are still moving out here, but I'd say do it. California has everything, including lots of gold. The San Bernardino & San Gabriel Mountains and the desert still have got a lot of gold. You can prospect in Holcomb, sluice in the East Fork, drywash in the Mojave desert, and MD at the beach! The desert is a geological wonder full of every mineral you can think of. As others have said we are close to Nevada and AZ which are also prospecting hotspots. Ya, you have to deal with some rules and regulations, but that's the price you pay to live in paradise. We still have it all.

First thing you should do when you get out here regarding prospecting is join the GPAA and some local clubs. You will learn everything you need to know about the area in a short time. The club I belong to, Rt66goldminers is great and has outings every month. Below is a picture I took of Holcomb valley during one of our outings.

Check out this site for a history of the Spanish in our desert. Welcome

Holcolmb
Holcomb Valley.jpg

Halite from Searles Lake, CA
IMAG0606.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Holcombe valley is really cool, I wish I was still out there. Again if anyone wants a house on 5 acres in Maine shoot me a Pm! Lol! Kind of.....

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holcombe valley is really cool, I wish I was still out there. Again if anyone wants a house on 5 acres in Maine shoot me a Pm! Lol! Kind of.....

Very majestic. That photo was taken on top of, I believe Gold Mountain. Below is a picture of a small mine, which was right behind me when I took the Holcomb Valley picture.
Holcomb Mine1.jpg

By the way, I found a good starter site for treasure hunting in Calif.
Treasure Hunting Wiki - Treasure Hunting Wiki

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Let me start by apologizing again for not being on here sooner, we've been busy over here getting things done and figuring out what we're going to do. Speaking of which, I stated that I would mention if/when my wife and I come to a decision. The plan is to head west sometime around the end of April to the first half May, yes gentlemen, we're CA bound. To be honest, I'm half excited cause I've been in FL in the same area since I was about 6 (I'm 46) and half scared/nervous cause I've been in FL in the same area since I was 6 (see previous). So far it looks like I'm going to head up I-275 and make a left on I-10 and keep going, it's going to be a long drive.

As far as gold mining/panning, I've never done it and wouldn't mind hooking up with someone who's willing to show me around once we're there and settled in of course. The same goes for MDing, I haven't done as much of it as I would've liked to, a bit self conscious (don't know why, but that's a topic for a different area), and I'm hoping to get some of that done when I get there. I have a BH QD II, it's not top of the line but I enjoyed myself when I did get out.

Mr Lee, that is so cool and those pics are beautiful. It's one thing to buy minerals and stones in a store but to dig them out for yourself makes it a nicer to piece, at least that's how I look at it. I hope once we're settled that I can take some pics at least half that nice. I have to admit, it would be too cool for words to have a display with stones/minerals or even a flake/nugget/sliver og gold thatI've actually dug up. If I sound too nerdy or goofy about doing/seeing some of this please keep in mind where I'm living. Don't be surprised if once I'm there, that I might beg to ride along with anyone. Might have to beg Mr Lee to let me tag along some time.

Ok, sorry bout being long winded, I'll stop now. Again, thanks everyone for the heads up on the area.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony, a bit premature, but welcome to the neighborhood. Join one of the GPAA clubs near to where you will be moving. Clubs are the best way to familiarize yourself with the area.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Mr Lee, I looked up the web site for the GPAA and saved it since it was mentioned. I definitely want to look them up once I'm west and settled.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we do get here sometimes is good weather beaches are fun to hunt and prospecting etc ok . But just keep on eye on folk when your detecting out here because every now and then yull get a smart azz or trouble maker. Good luck with everything.
I'm about 1/2 hr away from bloomington. I've never been harassed when detecting (so far), but it is true that there are alot of gansta's out here in the IE. You definitely need to watch your back, but It's not really that bad. The weather rocks, you can basically detect year round!:hello2:

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Thanks for the info and heads up atomicscott. It's nice to know there's someone that close. Maybe once I'm settled in we can meet up. I'm still kind-a new to MD, I've had my detector for a few years but never really got to go out a lot and use, there's still a lot I don't know especially once I get to someplaace new to me. Anyway, thanks for the info.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and heads up atomicscott. It's nice to know there's someone that close. Maybe once I'm settled in we can meet up. I'm still kind-a new to MD, I've had my detector for a few years but never really got to go out a lot and use, there's still a lot I don't know especially once I get to someplaace new to me. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Sounds great! Hit me up when you are ready, I'm always up for a hunting partner.

hillbillyinca

Nov 29, 2012
I don't worry about the gangstas too much Scott there better be more than couple to come after me as soon as I slow down a little we need to hit up some other places too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread