dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Let's just say I also would not live in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and a couple others for the same reasons..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

I have to agree with you on this TH. I just love the weather, beaches, prospecting, and how easy it was for me to make big money out there. Political forces there for sure are evil. And states like new York and Connecticut don't even have that going for them. Much like Maine... borderline communist.

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I didn't want to have to start working in fast food or delivering pizzas but it might come to that. On top of all this, more good news. We moved to CA with 2 cats. The younger one (Karma), about 8 yrs old, must have gotten sick and I find her dead in the hallway. Well, our other cat (Mason) hasn't been doing too well lately and recently she got real bad. She was about 18 or 18.5 yrs old. Anyway, she got so bad we had to put her down yesterday. My wife is devastated, she's had her since a kitten, she even bottle fed this cat cause it was abandoned by it's mother. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the state but I can't help but think "gee, SoCal just keeps getting better all the time"...NOT

Back to the job search.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I didn't want to have to start working in fast food or delivering pizzas but it might come to that. On top of all this, more good news. We moved to CA with 2 cats. The younger one (Karma), about 8 yrs old, must have gotten sick and I find her dead in the hallway. Well, our other cat (Mason) hasn't been doing too well lately and recently she got real bad. She was about 18 or 18.5 yrs old. Anyway, she got so bad we had to put her down yesterday. My wife is devastated, she's had her since a kitten, she even bottle fed this cat cause it was abandoned by it's mother. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the state but I can't help but think "gee, SoCal just keeps getting better all the time"...NOT

Back to the job search.

Doesn't have anything to do with the state but sure does enhance bad feelings... Homesickness can sure make everything seem worse than it is as well. What skills do you have?

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Unfortunately, I don't have many skills. In the 90's I worked in a garage doing oil changes, belts, hoses, tires..things like that. After that I drove a truck for a couple of years until there was an accident. I delivered extruded aluminum and sheets of aluminum on a 26' flatbed truck. The truck had some issues but it was ok, then in 95, I had just merged from 95 to I-4. I was cruising along with no problems when the truck decided it wanted to go to the right, we fought and I ended up overcompensating. The resutl was, at 60 mph, the truck ended up rolling and tossing me out the window on to I-4. I'm ok, but I still have a rod on my right thigh. After that I worked in manufacturing. There I worked a production line, was a trainer, team lead, moved to substrate, unloaded trucks, stocked product, picked/pulled product for the production lines, was the forklift trainer for bout 3 yrs or so. went to school, got AS degree started working in offices doing intake and some medical billing.

Any suggestions are appreciated, honestly. I've been applying to almost everything. I'm either too old (will be 48 this year), have experience in warehouse and forklift but not recent enough, don't have enough experience for the offices.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Unfortunately, I don't have many skills. In the 90's I worked in a garage doing oil changes, belts, hoses, tires..things like that. After that I drove a truck for a couple of years until there was an accident. I delivered extruded aluminum and sheets of aluminum on a 26' flatbed truck. The truck had some issues but it was ok, then in 95, I had just merged from 95 to I-4. I was cruising along with no problems when the truck decided it wanted to go to the right, we fought and I ended up overcompensating. The resutl was, at 60 mph, the truck ended up rolling and tossing me out the window on to I-4. I'm ok, but I still have a rod on my right thigh. After that I worked in manufacturing. There I worked a production line, was a trainer, team lead, moved to substrate, unloaded trucks, stocked product, picked/pulled product for the production lines, was the forklift trainer for bout 3 yrs or so. went to school, got AS degree started working in offices doing intake and some medical billing. Any suggestions are appreciated, honestly. I've been applying to almost everything. I'm either too old (will be 48 this year), have experience in warehouse and forklift but not recent enough, don't have enough experience for the offices.

Your in a tough spot for sure. Your doing the right thing by applying everywhere. Maybe you could get a tile contractor to hire you as a helper. Not the easiest work but some of those guys make some decent money. After a while you could get licensed and go out on your own...

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Not sure if I could physically handle it, but if I that's all I found, I'd give it a shot. I had a friend of mine suggest becoming a security guard. They don't make a lot of money, but it's fairly cheap to get licensed and they're always hiring. My wife isn't crazy about the idea but I'm thinking it over.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I could physically handle it, but if I that's all I found, I'd give it a shot. I had a friend of mine suggest becoming a security guard. They don't make a lot of money, but it's fairly cheap to get licensed and they're always hiring. My wife isn't crazy about the idea but I'm thinking it over.

Tony, no luck at any of the print shops I spoke of, or Heartland? Did you check out jensonusa.com? These jobs wont make you rich, but they start at at least $10 per hour, and you usually don't need any experience, they are willing to train.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tony, no luck at any of the print shops I spoke of, or Heartland? Did you check out jensonusa.com? These jobs wont make you rich, but they start at at least $10 per hour, and you usually don't need any experience, they are willing to train.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with you on this TH. I just love the weather, beaches, prospecting, and how easy it was for me to make big money out there. Political forces there for sure are evil. And states like new York and Connecticut don't even have that going for them. Much like Maine... borderline communist. sent from a potato...

You know,
28 years......

If it wasn't for the hot woman, The early retirement from the mortgage business, The financial independence gained primarily from just living here for 30 years, The high rents garnered from rental properties that have tripled in value, Mexico right around the corner ( The USA is the best place to be a woman, MEXICO is for MEN.......) The weather, (Typically no humidity, No clouds, 79 every day, 65 every night. ) The daily sunset jogs on the beach just 20 minutes away.... prospecting....MD'ing....
Oh.... and the deep discount season passes to Disneyland and Sea World.....

It wouldn't be that great..... Oh......and I started from NOTHING..............

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You know,
28 years......

If it wasn't for the hot woman, The early retirement from the mortgage business, The financial independence gained primarily from just living here for 30 years, The high rents garnered from rental properties that have tripled in value, Mexico right around the corner ( The USA is the best place to be a woman, MEXICO is for MEN.......) The weather, (Typically no humidity, No clouds, 79 every day, 65 every night. ) The daily sunset jogs on the beach just 20 minutes away.... prospecting....MD'ing....
Oh.... and the deep discount season passes to Disneyland and Sea World.....

It wouldn't be that great..... Oh......and I started from NOTHING..............

Agreed, it is what you make it. This is what I regret leaving California to move back to Maine. Stupidest thing I have ever done...

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Tony, the best thing for you to do is just start working somewhere doing something... I get up everyday at all hours of the day to go do a job that I HATE because in my area there truly is no opportunities. With the high taxes, overbearing state government, welfare state of most residents, bitterness of many people, lack of population, high cost of heating your home (most spend over $3000 per year) a car might last eight years before it is completely rusted out, flat or declining home values, lack of doctors and dentists in the area, if you want to earn a degree you must travel to one of two big city's in the state everyday, long cold miserable winters, rainy bugy summers, it can take literally years to sell a house here, and on and on and on. But I make the best of it and financially I am doing fine. With the reasons I stated above its easy to understand why I bought another house in a warm climate as I slowly make my break away from this living hell called Maine. Trust me, you are truly in a wonderful place to prosper...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
@Atomic, nobody was interested enough to call, I'll go back out and try again tho. The interview I had was with Jenson USA. I thought the interview went well but I guess not. They said to give it a week, then call them. That week ended last Wednesday, I've called several times and left a couple of messages. I didn't leave a message each time, didn't want to seem like I was hounding them. Anyway, they haven't called back so I guess I didn't get the job.

I'm thinking about getting forklift certified or getting licensed as a security guard. It doesn't cost that much, so it might be worth the investment if it will get me in somewhere. Even though I was a forklift trainer at one time about 10 yrs or so ago, they want current forklift experience. My wife isn't too thrilled with the security guard idea, she's afraid I'll end up in a bad area and I might get hurt. These are two options anyway, we're fortunate enough that even with $10 an hour, we could survive. I'm thinking on Monday that I'll dress nice enough and hit Harbor Freight, Home Depot and a few other places nearby and see what happens. I applied on line but maybe showing up in person might make a difference.

I want to thank everyone again for letting me vent. We're about 3 months shy of being here a year. I know that's not a long time really but I'm used to finding work in a fairly short period of time. I don't like all this down time, makes a person batty. Add to it all the other stuff that's gone on and it just gets to you. I don't know if you guys really get what a help it's been to be able to vent and get some good advice or even just someone saying "hang in there". I can't thank you guys enough for listening, or rather, reading and not just blowing me off.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anytime Tony, keep us posted.

sent from a potato...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Tony, I'm glad you at least got the interview in with Jenson. They may still call at a later time, you are in the system so that's good! There are places that will hire you, you just gotta keep on doing what you are doing. Keep your chin up Tony, don't be afraid to throw a little BS out and see what sticks if that's what it takes. lol! See if Remart is still around, they are in Montclair I think. They have a shipping and receiving dept. I'm sure. Keep hitting all those industrial areas between Grove and Haven too. I know something will come up soon, you will really love Cali once you get settled in with a decent job. I will let you know if any other places come to mind. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread