San Diego/Orange Co. Low Tide Disappointment--Any Feedback?

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
threads been dry for a few months but I'll chime in. All of January and until now myself and another MD'er buddy have been busting tail on the beaches from Mission Beach to Laguna. Couple silver rings, a small necklace and one petty gold ring is all that we have found. You do what you can do with what you have in the now. The beaches are a 95% bust right now. We've worked Coronado at a NEGATIVE 2.1 low tide and found VERY little. We consistently work Mission Beach and its a total skunk job. La Jolla is a bust, as well as Moon light Beach and Encinitas. We have a good hunch going on at a beach that for now will remain un-named until we get on it next week.
Today I spent 7 hrs carefully combing towel line to thigh high water at Mission Beach. I got 53 cents. No joke! I use an Excal 1000 and am pulling coins nearly 2 ft down in hard pack sand so I know I'm not doing something wrong... No storms, no wind, no erosion. It simply sucks right now.
All the valuables that I have been finding are at community parks and soccer fields. I mildly comprehend the dynamics of the beach but parks, I completely dont understand how someone can lose a ring, have it get stepped on, then have the mower miss it, then have it travel several inches down before I come along and un earth it... Truly amazing really.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There was just a nice SW swell, that hit for about 4 days straight, up here in Central and northern CA (not sure if it dipped below Pt. Conception or not). Several of us scouted our SW facing beaches (Santa Cruz, etc...) during that time. Results were not enough to merit much hoopala. I got 70 coins between 3 SW facing beaches I tried. And some friends who kept close tabs on them, didn't fare much better. A few wheaties and a lone silver dime turned up in the mix on one beach. But ... otherwise .... no pockets of un-ending thick results.

I think the problem was that that SW swell occurred on days of wimpy high tides. The highest high was only 4.4.

But I confess to not being too diligent (as it's a 30 to 45 min. drive to get to our SW facing beaches from where I live). However, all in all, didn't seem to be much of an event. Not sure whether mother nature readjusted her slopes in the days-that-followed that or not. But ...... didn't seem to likely, so I stayed at home. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread