Off n On

Mar 16, 2014
So. Cal. Orange County
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hoarding this information for over 30 yrs. But as I will no longer be visiting the Imperial Valley, I thought I would share this with people who will appreciate it.

The pics I made from Google earth today, and the sites look the same as from when I was a kid.

These first two pics are of sites I mainly searched as a child, having no metal detector; I used a good old fashioned shovel, rake, screen and a bucket.

1st pic - is of an old dump (1890's to 1930's), full of mostly old bottles, but I did pull out a silver pocket watch, several silver shillings, old "one Penny's", etc. (Again the was just sifting through for hours as a kid) I would say the most I dug was a max of 2 feet down.

2nd pic - is of 2 other dump sites on the edge of the New River. These are a bit treacherous to climb down to. They have a lot of old (sharp metal), a few bottles, but I found lots of coins packed in cans. *(Oh how I wish I would have known better and not just spent them!)*

3rd pic - is of Sunbeam Lake. In the pic, I marked the old swimming area, diving dock (torn out in the 80's), boating and skiing area. This is according to the mid 1980's. At the old diving dock, I used to run and jump as far as I could, then swim down the 10-14ft and scoop as much sand into my homemade rectangle 1/2" mesh cage. I found a lot of gold and silver jewelry, and came up with at least $5 in coins each time, if not more. The swimming area was 1 - 6ft the first 40 ft. out, then it slopped to 18ft at 60 ft. out (this area would be best to hunt in my opinion). This Park is owned by the county and was man made by the original owner of the land way back around the 1940's (if I remember right). I would suggest asking the Park Ranger 1st for permission to hunt in the water, as it was off limits to all, outside of swimming season. Last I knew of, there was a resident Ranger living there, near the snake shack and recreational hall.

Those times were the best memories of my childhood. I hope you can make some good ones too!
bttl dump 1.png bttl dump 2 n 3.png Sunbeamlake.png

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing this.