Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're talking about this place ? :

HCCP - Home Page

If so, you'll notice it's on BLM land. So as such, there is no prohibition on metal detecting. In fact, there's an express ALLOWANCE of md'ing on BLM land :)

Metal Detecting, Bureau of Land Management, California

However, notice that it's ok, as long as you don't remove "artifacts". But notice it doesn't define "artifact". I suppose if you wanted to assemble a team of lawyers and purist archies, you can probably find someone to tell you that means an object over 50 yrs. old. Hmm, in my nearly 40 yrs. of this, I have YET to have anyone follow me around with a calculator, doing the math on the ages of coins I find. Nor is my math that good anyhow :hello:

And I also don't know about any particular "ghost town" site within that location. If you say there was a town there at one time, are foundations or something still showing? Or is the spot marked in some way? (historical plaque or something?) Or is this un-marked, and un-known, unless you were to research out exact spots of structures ? Either ways: just be aware of a psychological rule:

While detecting may be allowed someplace, it's generally a good idea to avoid being a nuisance around "obvious sensitive monuments". I mean for example: if there were an archaeologist convention going on at that spot, at the exact moment you got there, then .... well .... probably not a good idea to go flaunting your legal-ness. Pick discreet lower-traffic times. And then yes: If some busy-body were to approach you, you *do* have the law on your side. Because you're only finding new stuff afterall, *right* ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
darmentle

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No foundations from what i have seen i walked down the trail about 100 yards and found the old wagon stop and old canal they dug. I just assumed from the research i have been doing that is where it would of been located. also is there place we cant go other then private property?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... also is there place we cant go other then private property?

You can go on any public property, so long as there's no rule or law saying "no metal detecting". But even when there might not be a law saying " no metal detecting", it's as I say: You STILL need to use a little discretion on your timing, image, etc.... Because let's face it: detecting has ... uh .... "connotations". So if you're working manicured turfed lawns of a park, and even though no rule may exist, yet ..... it might not stop some busy-body gardener to gripe or question you.

Personally I will detect at any public ground, as long as there's not an express dis-allowance. By "express disallowance", I mean that .... to me , ... it would have to specifically be "no metal detecting". Stuff about "removing" or "harvesting" or "collecting" or "altering" or "disturbing" or "cultural heritage", etc..., no, I do not take that stuff to necessarily mean "no detecting". True, someone else might think such things can apply. Fine: avoid those lookie-lous and go at lower traffic times when they're home in bed.

We're in an odd-ball hobby that draws lookie-lous. You're never going to get red carpets rolled out for you everywhere. Sometimes you gotta give lip-service and just grow a pair :)

I got a coin from the 1850s over in Ferndale, over on the coast from you. Haven't hunted around your area much though. A buddy of mine got a large cent next to some ruins over near Whiskey-town lake several years ago.

OP
OP
darmentle

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats funny you talk about the Wiskeytown ruins i bet your talking about old Shasta that is where i was wanting to go but i wasn't sure. I just got my detector yesterday.

Shasta SHP

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

...... i bet your talking about old Shasta.....
Shasta SHP

yes, I think that's where we whipped over to the side of the road (d/t they're right on the side of the road) and detected. Looking at your link, I see that it's a state-operated historical park/site. As such, it's probable that he wasn't supposed to. But ... I guess he didn't ask enough people "can I?". Oh well, shame on him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions