bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Traded up from a Garrett ACE 350 to an ATPro with a Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
info on md'ing

I have family living in the east bay area and am here for a week or so. of course my md is in the car but I am not familiar with the laws here. I have heard that you need a permit. Can domeone shed some light on the matter? I am travelling the San Leandro, Oakland area and over to Stanford. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The "permit" you've heard about, is only for the county parks in the east bay. Hence it would not apply to the city properties. Eg.: San Leandro, Oakland, Stanford, etc.... And even then-so, only for the county parks. Not all county "land". If you're in doubt, you can check a map and see the city versus county boundaries.

Now this is not-to-say that you don't have to use ..... uh .... "due discretion". When hunting a city park or beach. I mean, of COURSE don't be a nuisance, sticking out, begging for attention, etc... Because md'ing has "connotations" to some folks. That you might be about to leave a hole or whatever. So go at low traffic times, avoid busy-bodies/lookie-lous, etc... (for turfed parks at least).

OP
OP
bigfokkerdog

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Traded up from a Garrett ACE 350 to an ATPro with a Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "permit" you've heard about, is only for the county parks in the east bay. Hence it would not apply to the city properties. Eg.: San Leandro, Oakland, Stanford, etc.... And even then-so, only for the county parks. Not all county "land". If you're in doubt, you can check a map and see the city versus county boundaries.

Now this is not-to-say that you don't have to use ..... uh .... "due discretion". When hunting a city park or beach. I mean, of COURSE don't be a nuisance, sticking out, begging for attention, etc... Because md'ing has "connotations" to some folks. That you might be about to leave a hole or whatever. So go at low traffic times, avoid busy-bodies/lookie-lous, etc... (for turfed parks at least).

Thanks for the great info. I believe I will try tomorrow or Tuesday early here in the San Leandro area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread