DVR is set. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx pegleg. But I can already predict how the tone of such a show will go. No doubt it will all spin in the direction of bullet-proof evidence supporting it. Just like it is for all the other yarns of these America-unearthed type shows. I mean, seriously now: What do you think spikes ratings? Kill-joy evidences AGAINST such a treasure legend? Or "sure-fired proofs" SUPPORTING a treasure legend ?

Same for shows about UFO's, Big-foot, Loch-ness monster, blah blah blah. The hopeful believers watch such silly shows, and ..... sure enough: The show confirms the absolute certainties of all such monsters, UFO's, treasures, etc... Take a kernal of history (a few faded newspaper clippings, a few historical facts someone found in a European file cabinet about a missing ship, blah blah), and then add some Hollywood magic and suggestive psychology, and presto, it MUST be gospel fact! :BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx auferret and Mackaydon!! And Tom, the ship was found twice, two different ships, and you're right to a degree, I'm just glad someone is willing to do a show about the things we love... And I am THRILLED to have been asked to be a part of it. I am also talking to them about doing a show about Pegleg smith for either late this year or early next...

PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx pegleg. But I can already predict how the tone of such a show will go. No doubt it will all spin in the direction of bullet-proof evidence supporting it. Just like it is for all the other yarns of these America-unearthed type shows. I mean, seriously now: What do you think spikes ratings? Kill-joy evidences AGAINST such a treasure legend? Or "sure-fired proofs" SUPPORTING a treasure legend ?

Same for shows about UFO's, Big-foot, Loch-ness monster, blah blah blah. The hopeful believers watch such silly shows, and ..... sure enough: The show confirms the absolute certainties of all such monsters, UFO's, treasures, etc... Take a kernal of history (a few faded newspaper clippings, a few historical facts someone found in a European file cabinet about a missing ship, blah blah), and then add some Hollywood magic and suggestive psychology, and presto, it MUST be gospel fact! :BangHead:

Tom,

I don't know about the twice found part, but I know for an absolute fact that a Spanish Caravelle was found in the dunes just South of Highway 78, East of Brawley/El Centro. The back (about) two-thirds of the ship were used for an addition to a man in El Centro's House. He said he only used the wood from the aft end because it was the only straight stuff. The wood at the fore end of the ship was too curvy. The fore end of the ship is still there.

It is usually buried under twenty to thirty feet of sand, but is occasionally uncovered by wind. Here is the location from GE:

CaravelleLocation.jpg

I can always remember exactly where it is from the line of scrub bush.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is my shovel? I gotta go get me some of that :D

Nothing there but some wood. It was found first in the 1950s (I think). The guy used most of the aft section for his house in the late sixties-early seventies. No gold. No jewels. No pearls.

Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... No gold. No jewels. No pearls.....

Nooohh!! Say it isn't so. Obviously you don't have a detector that goes deep enough. And obviously you're a part of the conspiracy (you must be a freemason and thus part of the coverup). haha

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nooohh!! Say it isn't so. Obviously you don't have a detector that goes deep enough. And obviously you're a part of the conspiracy (you must be a freemason and thus part of the coverup). haha

HAHAHA

Tom,

I calls 'em likes I sees 'um. I also don't lie about any of this treasure hunting stuff. The reason it might seem to some that I believe in most treasure stories is that I usually blow off the ones I have found to be bogus, misinformed, and already found. I typically only post regarding the ones I have found to have credible evidence of their existence. Many people don't believe this story at all. The story is absolutely true, except for the treasure part. The part about the pearls may have been true as well, but the desert sand around the Salton Sea is VERY acidic. If baskets of pearls would have been buried out there in the 1600s, the acid in the ground would have LONG AGO dissolved them.

To me, there are more interesting stories from the area of the Salton Sink than Juan de Iturbide's Lost Ship. Near one of the washes (I won't say which) on the Eastern side of the Salton Sea, I have a newspaper article from the late 1960s, that has a large picture of a guy in chest waders in one hand holding a metal detector, and in his other a large gold cross on a long gold chain that goes from his outstretched hand around his head and back. They never found the source, but believe it had washed down into the Salton Sea from the lower hills of the Chocolate Mountains. Another is the story from one of the Date Farms on the South East edge of the Sea. When they were digging out little canals from the Sea, the backhoe came up one time with half a rotten wood chest showering Spanish Gold Coins everywhere. As I recall, there were a few hundred coins total. No story about where either of those two finds came from. Just the finds. I have backtracked up that wash several times trying to find the rest of the cache that cross and chain came from, but nothing yet.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
........Another is the story from one of the Date Farms on the South East edge of the Sea. When they were digging out little canals from the Sea, the backhoe came up one time with half a rotten wood chest showering Spanish Gold Coins everywhere. As I recall, there were a few hundred coins total.......

Mike, what is the source of this "story" ? Something tells me that it's all going to end up being "he said she said" type of stuff. And if anyone ever tried to pin down actual proof , it would evaporate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread