time to start being careful out there .

OP
OP
M

MRDUKE

Mar 25, 2007
wow i can,t even imagine running into that guy , i hate snakes ,but my policy is if there not around kids or animals and there not threatening me i let em live.

S

stefen

I suspect that site is not in Diamond Bar... ??? ??? ???

Diamond Bar is 20 minutes away from where I am and its quite hilly.

T

TreasureTales

Trying to remember exactly what the caption said. Seems to me it said between Diamond Bar and Chino. Is that possible? I'm not a So. Cal. kind of Californian, so I'll have to defer to you. I do know the snake was found and dispatched somewhere down in that area.

S

stefen

Diamond Bar is adjacent to the City of Brea, whereas Chino is located near the intersection of I-15 & I-91 freeways.

There is about 20 some miles of foothills between both of these areas.

Generally, rattlers in this region max out at about 6 feet.

T

TreasureTales

Stefen, LOL, you just want to nitpick I guess. This was a So. Cal snake - not unlike some of So. Cal's residents. ;D

S

stefen

TreasureTales said:
Trying to remember exactly what the caption said. Seems to me it said between Diamond Bar and Chino. Is that possible? I'm not a So. Cal. kind of Californian, so I'll have to defer to you. I do know the snake was found and dispatched somewhere down in that area.

Well lets see, I only answered your question since you defered to me...its not nitpicking.

Since you are not familiar with the area, I provided some regional markers to give you an idea of the distances...its like someone from the east coast saying it's between San Francisco and Pismo Beach ???

Lets move on.

Its my opinion that the picture is deceiving in that the snake appears to be larger than it actually is...The perspective created by the camera gives the illusion of a large snake, when it actually is a typical So Cal snake that may reach 4 to 5' overall.

This looks like a record anaconda-size snake ???

Imagine now that a 9' snake with a girth of your leg would weight maybe 150 or so pounds...this person doesn't appear to be a Superman.

T

TreasureTales

Since I was not there (thank GOD!), I cannot provide any details. All I can go by was the info that came with the photo. I don't even know who took the photo. But from a treasure hunter's perspective, I'd sure like to detect along the walkway that's shown in the photo, providing there weren't any other snakes lurking in the grass. ;D

Yes, agreed, let's move on. Thanks.

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I only have one thing to say about that snake,....SON OF A @#$%^!!!.
And I thought the 4' cotton mouth I killed in my drive was big!

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I think that this is one of those pics that's made the rounds so often that there are probably several stories about how big and where it was found. The first time it was sent to me, it was reported to have been found at some type of refinery in Texas.

Wherever it was, that's a big, scary snake.

MP

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Background looks like the old Aero Jet facilitysouth of Chino toward Carbon Canyon.Snake looks to be 8 to 9 ft long.It's one of the bigger diamondbacks I seen.Hope they didn't waste the fine meal,making me hungry just looking at it.

T

TreasureTales

Urban Prospector said:
Background looks like the old Aero Jet facilitysouth of Chino toward Carbon Canyon.Snake looks to be 8 to 9 ft long.It's one of the bigger diamondbacks I seen.Hope they didn't waste the fine meal,making me hungry just looking at it.

Yes, Chino was the area mentioned in the email I received. Hungry? Are you joking? That snake scares me so much I can't think of anything but a big gun with birdshot in it for protection.

S

stefen

It's an illusion...photoshop magic!

I repeat...it's an illusion...

T

TreasureTales

I don't think so. I've seen some large Pacific rattlers and this one could very well have been real. The guy is holding the snake out towards the camera lens, so there may be some exaggeration of size due to that, but I really doubt this was photoshopped. But I could be wrong - don't know for sure because I wasn't there.

S

stefen

Now take into account the size of this snake...big as your thigh?...maybe 100 - 150 or so pounds?...

Go back and take a real good look at the picture...does it look like the man is taking any great effort to hold up the so-called monster? No!

He certainly is not a very muscular individual...wouldn't you say?

Its smoke and mirrors...a farce...

Something that big would have made the papers or TV media...or even the Guinees Book or Records. Nope! Its made up.

Certainly not a Texan fishing worm by any means ;D

Sorry, didn't mean to insult our Texas friends...

T

TreasureTales

Uh, looking as his forward hand, yes it looks to me like the snake is heavy. Then looking at the fact that his other arm is pressed against his side, I'd say the snake is heavy. Frankly, it doesn't much matter to me that the snake is 9 feet or 9 inches, it's still a stinking rattler that I don't want to encounter. Although, if I did encounter one, I'd probably leave it alone if given an chance to safely leave the area.

So are you saying my thigh weighs 100 or 150 pounds????? HUH?????? Bub????? ;) :D

S

stefen

Should have said its the size of a normal thigh...

My thighs are considered normal...(just look at my hands...it about ya-around) ;D

Something that caliper would probably weigh in at 100 to 150 lbs...more or less...

OH! And I'm not saying that you are abnormal...well, then again ;D

T

TreasureTales

stefen said:
Should have said its the size of a normal thigh...

My thighs are considered normal...(just look at my hands...it about ya-around) ;D

Something that caliper would probably weigh in at 100 to 150 lbs...more or less...

OH! And I'm not saying that you are abnormal...well, then again ;D

Hey hey hey, you're starting to tread on thin snakeskin here my friend. But in all seriousness now, that snake is not something I'd want to come across under any circumstances -- dead or alive and whether big or small. It's got fangs!!!!! Run for your life!!!!!

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
That snake isn't nearly as big as you think Stefen. Look at the part of the litter-pickerupper-gismo thats touching the snake and use it for size reference.Maybe you know who Roland Martin is , a pro bass fisherman that holds the fish at arms length so they look huge, same effect. The length is probably close as comparing to the man but the thickness is distorted.The claw is probably 2" wide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions