Anyone okay with a newbie camping on their claim?

Andredesz

Jun 11, 2015
Castro Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Everybody,

I'm a new member, a young(ish) lady with two faithful dogs who loves to camp out and who would love to pan for placer gold near a Central California creek or river. I live in the East San Francisco Bay Area. I have my green panning kit, a handheld GPS device, a camp stove, my little tent and such. What seems complicated is finding a place I can tool around without breaking any rules. I usually camp around the El Dorado National Forest, they have creeks and I know they have primitive camping sites there, but I'm not 100% sure my car has high enough clearance to find a spot in their backroads, (I have a 2013 MINI Cooper Coupe).

So I've been looking camping at the Placerville KOA, which is nice but really fancier than I need. I've also found that a lot the nearby campgrounds that take reservations are booked up. What I'd love is to camp right next to the water somewhere. I've been looking at the BLM maps to find a place I can camp, I can read a topographic map, but when it comes to investigating and sussing out the PLSS to find which little spots are claimed, UGH, it gets so frustrating. I'm not looking to get rich or deplete an area, I am just one girl with one pan with a weekend at a time to play in the water.

So I contacted someone who was selling land in Coloma on Craigslist and let them know that while I can't afford to purchase land, I would pay a bit to camp on weekends. This person said that would be okay (a weekend for $75), but I can't locate him now.

So I'm wondering, does anyone on the board have a claim 2-3 hours from the Bay Area where I could camp on weekends. I promise to clean up after myself, and if we can't meet in person, I can Paypal you camp fees. Just wondering because it seems like there must be a better way.

P.S. I am thinking about joining the East Bay Prospecting Club in Concord. It looks like they'll all be at the GPAA/LDMA Italian Bar meet this weekend. I think I'm too late to register, plus I'm not a member yet. I'm kinda afraid of looking like a dork since I don't have much experience.

Anyhow, any takers? I promise I'm nice, as you all seem to be.

Thanks!
Carol A

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites TM 808, Garrett AT PRO, H3 Super Alien
Primary Interest:
Other
East Bay Prospecting Club in Concord is close to you and a GPAA club. New members are most welcome. you will find them most helpful to get you started. There are always new members joining every month. You will not be alone. If not yet a member. Guest are also welcome. You will meet a great bunch of helpful prospectors out there. It would be better than going to some strangers place in the woods along the river who will things your dogs look delicious. Just be carful. A reputable club is a good way to get your feet wet.

Glad to have a new prospector I the field.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You will find that most clubs have claims open to members to camp for a week or week-end.

OP
OP
A

Andredesz

Jun 11, 2015
Castro Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the welcome Watcher2. I think I will look into the club in Concord. Um, are people eating dogs out there?

Carol A

East Bay Prospecting Club in Concord is close to you and a GPAA club. New members are most welcome. you will find them most helpful to get you started. There are always new members joining every month. You will not be alone. If not yet a member. Guest are also welcome. You will meet a great bunch of helpful prospectors out there. It would be better than going to some strangers place in the woods along the river who will things your dogs look delicious. Just be carful. A reputable club is a good way to get your feet wet.

Glad to have a new prospector I the field.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not that I have seen recently. Just joking. HaHa. But just be carful excepting a camping trip in the woods with a stranger. Even if you will find gold. With a club you have safety in number until you have more experience in the wild. Have fun and find color.

OP
OP
A

Andredesz

Jun 11, 2015
Castro Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh thanks Watcher! So, I went ahead and joined the GPAA, and I will drop by for the next Concord prospectors meeting. I've been thinking about what you said, and while I'm glad no one will eat my dog :) I did kind of consider, would I camp near the creek by my house? I wouldn't because I know that's where the homeless people live. So, why would I camp alone far away from home near a creek? It took considering whether someone would be desperate enough to eat a dog to get me to remember that desperation does exist in certain measure out there. And maybe tempting people with unguarded food and items that make life more comfortable outdoors is not a great idea. Not to mention being a woman alone.

I think I'm going to write to the club forum and ask those folks if its okay if I camp near them. Thanks again for your responses Watcher2. I should go over to the introductions thread and introduce myself to everyone properly.

:)
Carol A

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Only wanted to make you think before you jumped in over your head. I am with East Bay's sister club. Delta Gold Diggers out of Stockton. Many times the two clubs go on the same outings. Maybe out paths will cross.
Enjoy the great out doors and, stay safe, and find some good color. There are a lot of great people out there. Have fun and many adventures.

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
Oh thanks Watcher! So, I went ahead and joined the GPAA, and I will drop by for the next Concord prospectors meeting. I've been thinking about what you said, and while I'm glad no one will eat my dog :) I did kind of consider, would I camp near the creek by my house? I wouldn't because I know that's where the homeless people live. So, why would I camp alone far away from home near a creek? It took considering whether someone would be desperate enough to eat a dog to get me to remember that desperation does exist in certain measure out there. And maybe tempting people with unguarded food and items that make life more comfortable outdoors is not a great idea. Not to mention being a woman alone.

I think I'm going to write to the club forum and ask those folks if its okay if I camp near them. Thanks again for your responses Watcher2. I should go over to the introductions thread and introduce myself to everyone properly.

:)
Carol A

You must live near the libraryCarol. Watcher, I am with delta gold diggers as well but have been working every single day they have something planned for the last 8 months unfortunately.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you still need a place to play , i have a claim in nevada county with some nice creeks, good dirt road , near emigrant gap

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions