Riverside - Sycamore Canyon Trails

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
While looking up more of the local area, I came across a YouTube video of someone biking along some trails in Sycamore Canyon. I can well imagine people have had some drops and spills out there, especially if they're doing anything ultra-silly on their bikes. Lost jewelry and coins are pretty much guaranteed finds out there.

But I'm a bit more interested in looking for gold, naturally! I've identified several promising locations for manual non-assisted prospecting. All of the locations are located roughly north of the middle of the trails.

sycamorecanyon.png

The first location I've chosen is the Cougar Rock area of the park, which is directly east of an avocado grove and the closest landmark from the parking area off Central Ave on the North side of the park. This is quite a rocky area with bits of white quartz and iron, and it is likely that the nearby development at the east side of this area has caused some small amounts of gold to come loose or become easier to get to.

cougarrock.png

Directly south of Cougar Rock and west of a development cul-de-sac lies another area, much more loaded with large boulder and rock, and with signs of iron (red streaking) visible through some areas from a close satellite view. The entire area is iron-heavy so unless you've got good discrimination metal detecting is very difficult. This area extend south about 3,000 feet from the cul-de-sac, roughly ending at the southern end of the nearby distribution center complex, around which there are many rocky ravines.

southofcougarrock.png

Speaking of that distribution center, this brings me to the third area. West of that southern section lies a fairly rocky ravine spot near a trail called Terry's Wall, and within that area is a fairly decent area where several runoff valleys converge. This looks like an ideal spot to hunt in crevasses or at the bottom.

terryswall.png

The fourth and final section is a bit north-west of the previously-mentioned section, south of the housing division where the avocado grove is located. This area is very much like the first two mentioned areas. The best bet again would likely be to look around the base of the hills near the houses, which is a fairly rocky location and could yield some finds.

poleline.png

There are a few other areas just a bit south of the distribution center/north of Alessandro Blvd which might yield finds, however they're literally on the other side of where you can typically park (that I've seen) to access the trails, roughly 2-2.5 miles just by navigating trails. If you wish to check them out, here's a general guide for you on where you might wish to look:

southdistributionhighlight.png

Also, do note that one of these trails is named 'Rattlesnake.' It's very, VERY aptly named, especially in the areas I would be prone to hunt for gold. Do not go out in this area without suitable leg and hand protection, and at minimum a large knife to defend yourself from cougars and rarely coyotes. A fairly long walking stick would be advised as well, to poke in crevasses first before you go putting your hand in there and get nailed by a black widow or one of roughly seven species of rattlesnake we have lurking around here.

Also of note is that the Box Springs Mountain park is roughly a mile and a half northeast as the crow flies. If you want a good spot to go hunting, that's definitely a good one.

I would like to plan a little group adventure to this location one of these days. But for now, I've got to hone my skills in this riverbed!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
welcome from Salinas, CA. I'm only into coins/relics/jewelry, not nuggets or prospecting. So can't comment on that part of your posts. But in-so-far as the detecting where people mountain bike (BMX tricks, etc...), I would think there'd be better prospects than that, if jewelry (or even coins) is your goal. Sure, "anything can happen" (a bike rider can loose something, sure). But all in all, I would think that would be needles in hay-stacks. If jewelry is your goal , the beach would be a better spot. There's swimming lakes around Riverside, right ?

OP
OP
SoCalDesertFox

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome from Salinas, CA. I'm only into coins/relics/jewelry, not nuggets or prospecting. So can't comment on that part of your posts. But in-so-far as the detecting where people mountain bike (BMX tricks, etc...), I would think there'd be better prospects than that, if jewelry (or even coins) is your goal. Sure, "anything can happen" (a bike rider can loose something, sure). But all in all, I would think that would be needles in hay-stacks. If jewelry is your goal , the beach would be a better spot. There's swimming lakes around Riverside, right ?

There's nothing in Riverside anyone in their decent mind would swim in. Lake Perris is nicknamed Lake Diapers for one reason, Lake Matthews is a water reservoir that now belongs to LA, and there's almost no water in the Santa Ana riverbed.

Nearest closest reliable swimming hole I'd actually like to hunt would be Lake Arrowhead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread