Southern California

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in the Julian area and I want to pass on a spot to hunt if you are interested I don't live down there anymore.The spot is Spencer Valley School in Wynola Ca. The school that is there now is not the original school house or location, if looking straight on at the school, go down the right side of the property line and the big oak tree at the back is where the original school house was located.When I was young I didn't have a detector otherwise I would have pounded the area myself.Don't know what you can find but good luck.That was the one room schoolhouse I went to. 100_5536.JPG

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there back-of-boat. I've done a lot of detecting down that way. Had some fun finds. And passed right by that location. But didn't hunt that particular spot. Will do so on my next trip down that way, and let you know if it panned out.

When did the school move to the current location ?

And I don't see any particular oak tree that you speak of. When doing man-on-street view, or satellite view. But ... I guess I can just check out the entire right side property line, and see if I get into some iron and targets.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Isn't Julian famous for Apple pie or something? Sounds familiar.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't Julian famous for Apple pie or something? Sounds familiar.

Yep apple pie, Dudleys bakery and apple days festival.And also it's gold mines.You should pan some of the local creeks.Just make sure it's not claimed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there back-of-boat. I've done a lot of detecting down that way. Had some fun finds. And passed right by that location. But didn't hunt that particular spot. Will do so on my next trip down that way, and let you know if it panned out.

When did the school move to the current location ?

And I don't see any particular oak tree that you speak of. When doing man-on-street view, or satellite view. But ... I guess I can just check out the entire right side property line, and see if I get into some iron and targets.

Tom I don,t know the date but they didn't move the school the old one burned down.My grandfather had gone to the original school.The old oak might be gone it's been 30 years since I last was there but there was also some granite boulders around that spot also.The school grounds aren't real large But if you detect all the way to the back of the property that was the location of the school.I have another pic that might help. 100_5539.JPG In this pic the little boy standing by the back picnic(lunch) table just over the top right of his shoulder is brush, that was the location of the oak and the school house.This pic is to the right of the now standing school house.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx for the additional info back-of-boat. I will reconn. the area for any target concentrations. My buddy and I make an annual trek down that way, to the imperial county deserts, high mountain deserts, Riverside county, etc.. We are usually hunting the old emigrant stage stops (watering holes, etc...) and ruinsy type areas. But will make a point of checking your spot. If I find something with your grandfather's name on it, I'll give it to you ! :)

We have also made sport of hunting down some of the old camping grounds of the Julian area. Because as you know: That was the mountain playground of the people of San Diego , and desert (Brawley, El Centro, etc...) area. There were numerous scouts camps, fraternal camps, church camps, CCC camps, etc.... dotting the mountains up there.

But we didn't make any point of researching any of the 1-room school house sites. Since, truth be told, they're usually not too good. Prior to the 1940s or so, kids honestly didn't carry that much change. So unless they doubled as some sort of adult activity (community hall, grange, church, etc...) then they can often be stingy.

I've worked a lot of virgin 1-room school houses around the state, and found this to be true. Or humorously, the following scenario: If a 1 room school house was used from the 1890s to the 1940s: You start finding conductive targets (buttons, pencil tops, bullet shells, etc...). So you get excited knowing that the site is either virgin, or hardly worked at all. Yet the only coin to surface is perhaps a single '20's wheat (which has 2 decades of wear on it), and a few '40s loss-coins . And you ask yourself: "ok, where's the coins from the 1890s to 1920s ??" "Why only a few coins lost in the very last years of the schools usage time-frame ?". It's because the post-depression and post wwII era economy was more prosperous . For the first time, kids might have a coin or two in their pocket. But prior to the 1940s, it truly was rare for country kids to have any reason to be carrying money to school.

But starting in the 1950s, it became common-place. Like the school lunch programs (where every kid brings a quarter to school for their hot lunch). And the school milk (where you bring your nickel or dime for milk). And so forth.

We'll check it out though.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey there back-of-boat: I got your PM. Thanx ! Not sure if I did the reply function correctly or not. So if for some reason you do not get the reply PM, let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread