We will see what they say.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you are going to go talk to those that administer the lake (army corps of engineers in this case), be sure you do it this way:

You do not ask "Hi can I metal detect?". Instead you say: "Where can I find a listing of all the rules pertaining to the public us of the lake ? Eg.: dogs on leash only, no fireworks, etc...". Then they'll direct you to a link, or mail you the brochure, or tell you were it's posted or in binder form somewhere, etc.. And if you see no rule that said "No metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited. In fact, you might even be able to surf around on the net for applicable rules for that adminstration's parks/lakes. Just a quick look at Terry's link, I see this list:

Please help us make everyone's visit enjoyable by:

• Keeping your pets on a leash in developed recreation areas.
  • Keeping fires confined to grills and pits. Bring your own firewood. Fire restrictions vary by recreation area throughout the year, so please confirm current guidelines with park staff before building fires.
  • Maintaining quiet between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • Operating vehicles only on designated roads and parking areas provided.
  • Camping only in designated campsites.
  • Helping clean up litter.
  • Reporting safety hazards to park personnel.
  • Reading the park rules, copies of which are posted throughout the park.

I see nothing there that says "no md'ing". If you're skittish that that last bullet point hints that there's a more elongated list elsewhere, you just ask "where can the public avail themselves of the full version of rules that apply to usage ?". If they say "what is it that you wanted to know? You stick-to-your-guns and say "to find the listing of all the rules that apply to park use".

Because if you call and ask "can I metal detect?", you risk an arbitrary answer of "no", when no rule exists that truly says such a thing. Like because they think you might harm earthworms. Or they think you'll leave holes, etc.... Too many examples of such "hornet's nest swatting", when no one really cared less (till you ask).

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google metal detecting Kaweah. Someone shows where he/she found wheaties shows pic of location.find the swimming areas and you will find some jewelry.Down at the second launch ramp is a popular swimming area, so is the river coming in below the cabins.If you go up the south fork road to the campgrounds people swim and have swam in the pools in the river up there for years.Also the college of the Sequoia girls like to sunbathe up there.WOOHOO.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread