Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Re: san gabriel river?

There is gold in that creek also lots of trash. My guess is the farther up stream, the better your chances of it being something good. At least up past where the dredgers have probably rolled that rock over several times.

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used

Thanks I got alot of e-mails telling me people have been finding gold up there.(nuggets)

Thanks for input and info.

We will see soon.
Rd

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

There are nuggets up there BUT...... the area where the dredgers are is very trashy 100+ years of stuff, metal det. is a nightmare. Up on the hillsides there are small nuggets in the old river deposits, and up in the narrows.

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used

THANKS!!!!
rd

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used

Urban Prospector said:
Ever seen the bridge to nowhere?
No but will investigate.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

dunn1866 said:
Urban Prospector said:
Ever seen the bridge to nowhere?
No but will investigate.

It's worth the hike, haven't done it in a few years, rough hike, might be better since the big flood a couple years ago. There is a much better possibility of getting nuggets up there, than down near the road, and less trash for detectors.

OP
OP
Rob66

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used

Thanks for info.I was up there two weeks ago, man was it hot!!! ran out of water had to go back.I heard the east fork had some nugs.

RD

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000

Where may you park? I never been but I plan to drive there this fall when it's cooler. Is your vehicle safe there?
Are there dirt trails you may drive on?

Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

You can park anywhere along the road as lond as it's not a "no parking" zone, and at the end of the road there is a parking lot at the trailhead leading up the canyon to the Bridge to nowhere. You have to have a "parking pass" $5 perr day or $30 per year, to access our tax funded forest. Cars do get broken into up there, especially overnight. Never leave anything of value in your vehicle. Weekends get really crowded, seems like most of East LA goes up there. The further up the canyon you go, the bigger and better chance of finding nuggets with a detector.

Good luck!

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000

Thanks for the information. Do you know how long the hike is to get to the uncrowded/untrashy areas? approx.? Sorry ...never been there. I want to spend the day there. Do I need a weapon? ...lol.
I live in Corona so the drive should be about 45 min.? Then park to hike about 45 min.? like say almost to the top?

Thanks again.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

Skipper said:
Thanks for the information. Do you know how long the hike is to get to the uncrowded/untrashy areas? approx.? Sorry ...never been there. I want to spend the day there. Do I need a weapon? ...lol.
I live in Corona so the drive should be about 45 min.? Then park to hike about 45 min.? like say almost to the top?

Thanks again.

I've always dredged there, but if I was to detect, I would go to the end of East Fork rd. take the trail at least a half mile up the canyon before thinking about turning on the detector, because of trash. The further you go, the less trash, most people stay close to the road. The "best" known area is the "Narrows" I would guess about a 5-6 mile hike. Don't pass up the hillsides and side canyons on the way, I know of one guy who found a fair amount of small nuggets detecting in the old river beds up on the canyon walls.

I have seen a few guys come out of there with a lot of gold, but they spend days, weeks up there. One guy lives up there somewhere on a "glory hole". comes to town occasionally to sell his gold to a friend of mine. No idea where tho.(I wish)

I feel much more comfortable carrying a weapon. Just make sure you are well trained and familiar with it.

I would give yourself a little more time getting to and from there, traffic and winding road will slow you down a bit. I usually pull a large camping trailer from the I-5/91 and without traffic, an hour or less pretty easy.

If you want to camp, about a mile before the end of the road is the Oaks Picnic area. You can camp across the road from there, on the side of the road, or along the creek for that matter. There are usually a few campers, mo-homes, and tents there, mostly prospectors.

Sorry for rambling, hope I covered some of it.

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000

Thanks again. Sounds like you have experience there and that is what i was looking for. At least now I know more of what I'm getting in to. I am also going to look at Google Earth before I go. Hope it rains heavy again soon. Wash down more gold nuggets..

Hey, maybe we could meet there someday, you know....safety in numbers...lol.

Thanks much,

And good luck prospecting.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I've been up there a couple times. I did a bit of panning and picked up a nice nugget back a few years ago . Strangely enough.. out of a bucket of 'dirt' from the cliffside ..only the one nugget and ZERO flakes. I've panned a few other places (Redding, British Columbia) and never found a situation like that.

I meant to get up there in the spring time but was too late and it's been way too hot since.

Google Earth shows the places real well...and I've found some online photos from a local prospecting club who go up there in big groups of 20 or so.

I think if you get about a mile away from the parking lot nugget hunting will definitely be enhanced. Ideally 2 or more miles would be better. An ol' timer told me the best gold is in the ancient river beds up in the various canyons.

I've got a Fisher F4 which is not the best gold hunter but it does detect the little nuggets I've tried.

I'd like to get a group of 2 to 4 (a comfortable carload) of us up there to do a preliminary scouting. I'm 64 and have been in fairly good shape doing regular 3 mile walks at home. I'm retired and available during the week which I believe is the best way to go.

Drop me a note if you are interested.

HH Joe

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

Quote: "I've been up there a couple times. I did a bit of panning and picked up a nice nugget back a few years ago . Strangely enough.. out of a bucket of 'dirt' from the cliffside ..only the one nugget and ZERO flakes. I've panned a few other places (Redding, British Columbia) and never found a situation like that."

It is odd, most of the benches I have sampled have been that way. The flakes and fines are there somewhere, just got to find them. A few have, just not me. Yet.

I would be up for an exploratory trip once the weather cools down a bit, like October-November. I went up a few weeks ago for the day, and the heat was terrible hiking up the hills.

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000

I am up for a trip. I am a little busy right now and it's hot.... but I would like to go and do some exploring and sampling. Get my boots dirty...Take a small backpack, pan & diggin tools, water..of course,... lunch/snack, and my metal detector. Maybe an all day Saturday operation...?

Meet at the "Parking Spot"..(Haven't been there yet).

If interested , Keep in touch through PM or this forum..

Skipper

LSTgoldseeker

Greenie
Dec 22, 2007
california city,ca
Detector(s) used
tesoro lobo super traq,BH QD2,whites coinmaster,whites goldmaster 3, garrett pro pointer pinpointer(love it)

i've always wanted to go there and give nugget shooting a try.i'm in the antelope valley..actually california city.getting together sounds good to me.. :D

Rattler0216

May 30, 2008

I'm in Vista not to far away either and i would also be up for meeting out there on a Saturday. We should do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread