Native American rock?

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I was metal detecting by my moms house the other day. Down the street is a dead end. The stage coach, then train use to run from San Gabriel to Los Angeles. Found a horse shoe and lead bull toy. There is construction and reinforcement of the hillside, which means lots of dirt being moved. As a detectorist, you can’t pass up moved dirt. I also look for other relics or what ever while metal detecting. Long story longer, at the end of the dug construction dirt there was a pile of burn river rock. Very interesting. I thought maybe railroad. Probably not. These were buried probably pretty deep. Maybe Native American? The rocks were burnt thoroughly, if that makes sense. Anyway any help would be great. Thanks if I can prove this is a historical site I might be able to stop 20 apartments in a ridiculously small space from being-built ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543907202.564499.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543907233.386044.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543907257.414263.jpg

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absent any other indications, it would be difficult to tie burnt rocks to Indians.
It sounds like you have a great site to md. If you proved it to be historic I would guess you would not be allowed to hunt there.
Offhand, I would say you got a costly fight ahead in order to stop developement. Depends on who wants the developement maybe.
I don't have any experience with this subject, but if all you have are burnt rocks you will lose I would think.
Interesting question. Have you researched the area?

OP
OP
S

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks Kray. Is there any fossils or anything about these worth diggin around for, or are they pretty common? These immediately crumbled when I tried to pick them up, is that common? Thanks for your help

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never know. That layer of mud was probably a flood deposit. It hasn't been there long enough to turn to stone, so there might be some animal that got caught up in it. Think Ice Age.

OP
OP
S

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s really great information Kray. That’s why I love TreasureNet. There are very informative people out there like you. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread