Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mar 2008

Re: shasta county

Quote Originally Posted by ncali_treasurehunter
    yeah it's for detecting panning for gold is free as far as i know and i have seen and heard of people detecting around old shasta maybe on the outskirts though i always wanted to check it out lots of old buildings there and around town old homes etc mines

Hmmm, come summer, I might pay the $5 to detect Wiskeytown.

us
    Feb 2008
    N. Calif
    Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
    46 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hi Guys,
    This doens'nt apply to this thread, but seeing how you are in the Shasta area, Check it out. On our last trip through the area we came across a vietnam memorial on the road from klamath falls to shasta (Maybe Yreka? Can't remember)
    It is an all volunteer memorial and the art work is outstanding. Check it out if you are in the area.

HH
    Steve

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1788 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Big Frank, who says you can't detect at historic places in CA? I detect them all the time If you talked to some select archies, they might try to tell you that md'ing is outlawed EVERYWHERE, but the truth of the matter is, unless you're snooping around some obvious historic monument, or being a nuisance, sticking out, etc... you'll be ok. Yeah, I probably wouldn't whip out the detector for the Shasta area ruins that sit right off the heavily trafficked road, if there were an archie convention going on at that exact moment next door. But for an old foundation out in the back-country, or more innocuous ruins at discreet times, I've never ran into a problem.

There also various levels of "government" land in CA. There's federally owned, state owned, county owned, and city owned. So it would depend on what level you're talking about. And even within those various levels, you sometimes have to dig real deep to try to find something that applies. And even when you think you've found something about "antiquities" or whatever, they would only apply to something older. Like, if you tell them you were only looking for modern change, or that "boyscout ring you just lost", those would be different matters. I guess it's kind of like picking your nose: If you ask someone if you can do it, they'll tell you "no".

If you don't wander around sensitive ruins at wrong times, making a mess, you'll be ok. Also, there's lots of private property (ranches, cow pastures, fallow row crops, etc...) that had old sites on them (stage stops, 1-room schools, old picnic spots, etc..) so the list is endless of where you can research out to hunt.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA
    Big Frank, who says you can't detect at historic places in CA? I detect them all the time If you talked to some select archies, they might try to tell you that md'ing is outlawed EVERYWHERE, but the truth of the matter is, unless you're snooping around some obvious historic monument, or being a nuisance, sticking out, etc... you'll be OK. Yeah, I probably wouldn't whip out the detector for the Shasta area ruins that sit right off the heavily trafficked road, if there were an archie convention going on at that exact moment next door. But for an old foundation out in the back-country, or more innocuous ruins at discreet times, I've never ran into a problem.

There also various levels of "government" land in CA. There's federally owned, state owned, county owned, and city owned. So it would depend on what level you're talking about. And even within those various levels, you sometimes have to dig real deep to try to find something that applies. And even when you think you've found something about "antiquities" or whatever, they would only apply to something older. Like, if you tell them you were only looking for modern change, or that "boyscout ring you just lost", those would be different matters. I guess it's kind of like picking your nose: If you ask someone if you can do it, they'll tell you "no".

If you don't wander around sensitive ruins at wrong times, making a mess, you'll be ok. Also, there's lots of private property (ranches, cow pastures, fallow row crops, etc...) that had old sites on them (stage stops, 1-room schools, old picnic spots, etc..) so the list is endless of where you can research out to hunt.
    When I was researching local ordinances, I ran across some state laws and one of them had to do with historical monuments. I think if it's on the state register, then it's not okay to do anything there that would remove anything. Additionally, there was some regulations on certain state and federal land, including forest land.

And if you have to be "discrete" about going to sites, then you probably shouldn't be there. Just because it's not posted, doesn't mean it's okay to go there.

us
    Jul 2011

hi all im new to this forum and M/D'n & prospecting! i see some of you are from redding area looking to find others to hunt with! lemme no jay

us
    Jan 2008
    FAR NOR CAL
    Whites Xlt Minelab Safari

Quote Originally Posted by handyman213
    hi all im new to this forum and M/D'n & prospecting! i see some of you are from redding area looking to find others to hunt with! lemme no jay
    Hello Jay, Welcome to the wonderful world of Metal detecting. My name is Terry and I live in Shasta Lake and I have been Metal Detecting for about 13 years and I have done really well but lately I have been busy with my job and lacking places to hunt, If you have any ideas of places to go just let me know and maybe we could go hit them sometime. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
    OLDEST COIN FOUND METAL DETECTING IS 1836 LIBERTY CAP QUARTER

us
    Apr 2011
    Reno,Nevada
    Whites XLT and Teknetics G2

Hello, I'm from Old station (up by Lassen Park) If you ever want to get together,give me a shout. I have a few spots up here that have potential, and its cooler here too! LOL!!

oldstation@citlink.net

Thanks, Phil

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by handyman213
    hi all im new to this forum and M/D'n & prospecting! i see some of you are from redding area looking to find others to hunt with! lemme no jay.
    Hello: Do not pay attention about people who say they can pay @ whiskeytown for a metal detector permit, NO metal detector USE on Whiskey Town Property! The Ranger swooped down on me last Summer when my son and I were walking on the side of the road, I had my metal detector in a case, I was warned metal detectors are not allowed in whiskey town, I happened to be Off Hwy 299 & Trinity Road Half way before entering French Gulch. I also has a "No parking day fee" warning ( thought I was in French Gulch and the area was NOT marked "Day use fee required".) Tip: There is a lot of (BLM), Breau of land management areas which do allow metal detecting! Also check for "private property" posted signs. I would never try Brandy Creek, Whiskey Town Lake(s) on map. The Fish & Game and the forest rangers Dress in Camo! and I saw them pull cars over and issue speeding Tickets on Eureka/Hwy 299 WhiskeyTown. Watch out!
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by big frank View Post
    I'm curious. is the permit specifically for metal detecting?

I'm sure you couldn't detect in Old Shasta as it's a historical site, and as I understand it, you can't detect in any historical site in California.
    Swazey Road has a park in shasta and dry gulch off Hwy 99 are in Shasta and Metal Detecting is allowed in the parks also all BML land.
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    Dutch

Nov 2013
    Tehema Co. CA
    Accurate Locators , Fisher, etc, etc.
    1 times
    Your friend was lucky, not just for what he found, but because he wasn't arrested. I worked at the Old Shasta park and town...and it is illegal to use a metal dectector there. Anything found belongs to the park. I'm a treasure hunter in Tehema county, not just metal detecting.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1788 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by shastadutchman View Post
    Your friend was lucky, not just for what he found, but because he wasn't arrested. I worked at the Old Shasta park and town...and it is illegal to use a metal dectector there. Anything found belongs to the park. I'm a treasure hunter in Tehema county, not just metal detecting.
    Really ? A buddy of mine found a large cent around the ruins of the old Shasta foundations. Those ruins visible right off the road. I guess he didn't ask enough questions. Ouch. Ok, where does he turn it in to ??
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors