shasta county

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Try going to the Kinzli California forum. Get to the main page (gotta sign up, but it's easy), and float your question there. There may be some northern CA forumites there. But off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone north of about the Sonoma county line. There is a Eureka guy though, that I know of. Your area (Shasta county), is just not very populated, so as to have very many hunters (that are on forums anyhow). But that can be a good thing, as it means you might have less hunted sites :)

A friend of mine got a large cent and some seated coins next to the ruins of the old town of Shasta. You know, those old foundations and crumbling walls preserved right off the roadway. Not sure exactly where he got them, in relation to the visible preserved ruins. That was years ago too. Welcome aboard. Post your finds!

OP
OP
W

woodreau71

Oct 23, 2007
Hey, I appreciate the tip! I actually have a line on an old abandoned store that was the main supply house for travelers from shasta to cottonwood etc. sounds like a good place to start. I will keep you posted if and when I find anything.
thanks woodreau71

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
Hey Woodreau i live in cottonwood i know a few places and there is a metal detecting and gold panning club in redding, There is quite a bit of history in Shasta county but you have to find out if it's legal to detect in most of them email me and i'll let you know more

Capt.E

Jan 17, 2008
FAR NOR CAL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt , Minelab Equinox 800 , Fisher Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woodreau71 said:
Any tips on where to go in shasta county for detecting coin etc?? Website?? new to the hobby and need all the help I can get.
thanks in advance
woodrea71
i live in redding and i go out almost every other day and i seem to find something. i have found hundreds of silver coins, mostly dimes but anyway i always look for old homesteads or yards because the parks here are mostly worked out ,,still looking for places to goor let me know and we will go searching together..good luck

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
Hey guys, Im in Red Bluff and just got started. Would like to find some good places other than the local parks. Anyone a member of the local Redding club?

Frank

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT JOINING HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO IT BUT IT'S GOOD GROUP $50 FOR FAMILY MEMBERSHIP I THINK AND THEY GO ON A LOT OF PANNING TRIPS AND DETECTING PLUS LOTS OF RAFFLES THEY HAVE PROPERTY UP IN TRINITY COUNTY SO BRING PLENTY OF WATER AND LUNCH

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
ncali_treasurehunter said:
I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT JOINING HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO IT BUT IT'S GOOD GROUP $50 FOR FAMILY MEMBERSHIP I THINK AND THEY GO ON A LOT OF PANNING TRIPS AND DETECTING PLUS LOTS OF RAFFLES THEY HAVE PROPERTY UP IN TRINITY COUNTY SO BRING PLENTY OF WATER AND LUNCH

Went to their meeting on Friday night and their spegetti feed the next day. Pretty good group. Probably will join.

Are you in Redding? Where di you detect mostly?

Frank

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
I live in cottonwood. i mainly take it with me fishing and if it looks like could be something there i will check it out quick. first time i went out was by whiskeytown lake at Carr powerhouse and went trout fishing took the md with me for the heck of it and was walking through the woods and thing went nuts i got all excited and dug a little hole was an old tin can so i thought maybe someone hid money but no luck so i started to give up and noticed glass and with further investigation walked away with almost a dozen antique medicine bottles so it was exciting but didn't realize i could've gotten in trouble by fish and game probably for mding on gvmnt land but it was my 1st time out so lucky i guess. you can go to lost treasure.com and will help you with more spots hit me up again soon maybe we can find some spots to check out

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
I live in cottonwood. i mainly take it with me fishing and if it looks like could be something there i will check it out quick. first time i went out was by whiskeytown lake at Carr powerhouse and went trout fishing took the md with me for the heck of it and was walking through the woods and thing went nuts i got all excited and dug a little hole was an old tin can so i thought maybe someone hid money but no luck so i started to give up and noticed glass and with further investigation walked away with almost a dozen antique medicine bottles so it was exciting but didn't realize i could've gotten in trouble by fish and game probably for mding on gvmnt land but it was my 1st time out so lucky i guess. you can go to lost treasure.com and will help you with more spots hit me up again soon maybe we can find some spots to check out

I'm not sure about MD'ing in the forest, but I have been told that you can't at Wiskytown proper, like Brandy Creek or Oak Bottom at the beaches.

I bought a good book on where the old mine sites are in the area (actually all over Cali) at Olde West. Seems to be a good book, but hasn't been updated since 2003.

Frank

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
Yeah forgot you can get a permit to detect at the visitors center up at the top should see
where all you can try besides the beaches i know clear creek comes out down below whiskeytown and there is an old story of lost mormon gold coins somewhere close to there was lost in the late 1800's after gold was found here and the wagon tipped when clear creek was flooding anyways in 1910 an old prospector found 1 coin in his sluice box so it would be settled at the bottom but they were private mint so worth even more money believe then it was 20,000 gold now worth 1 million

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah forgot you can get a permit to detect at the visitors center up at the top should see
where all you can try besides the beaches i know clear creek comes out down below whiskeytown and there is an old story of lost mormon gold coins somewhere close to there was lost in the late 1800's after gold was found here and the wagon tipped when clear creek was flooding anyways in 1910 an old prospector found 1 coin in his sluice box so it would be settled at the bottom but they were private mint so worth even more money believe then it was 20,000 gold now worth 1 million

Hmm, so you checked on detecting at Wiskeytown? Where do you get a permit? And is it only good for MD'ing at the visitor center at the top of the hill?

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
you can get it at the visitors center it is 5 or 10 dollars and i know it's good for the oak bottom and brandy creek beaches but not sure of what else like if it covers the whole recreation area or just beaches but it would be cool if it covered everything. i have been wanting to go up through old shasta to check out an old wells fargo stagecoach robbery
80,000 in gold bars stolen 40,000 buried up there somewhere and i know the vicinity kind of because in certain areas it's cliffs on one side so would have to be up in the hills few hundred yards west off the road i think but blm owns it so could only drive and check it out

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
you can get it at the visitors center it is 5 or 10 dollars and i know it's good for the oak bottom and brandy creek beaches but not sure of what else like if it covers the whole recreation area or just beaches but it would be cool if it covered everything. i have been wanting to go up through old shasta to check out an old wells fargo stagecoach robbery
80,000 in gold bars stolen 40,000 buried up there somewhere and i know the vicinity kind of because in certain areas it's cliffs on one side so would have to be up in the hills few hundred yards west off the road i think but blm owns it so could only drive and check it out

I'm curious. is the permit specifically for metal detecting?

I'm sure you couldn't detect in Old Shasta as it's a historical site, and as I understand it, you can't detect in any historical site in California.

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
yeah it's for detecting panning for gold is free as far as i know and i have seen and heard of people detecting around old shasta maybe on the outskirts though i always wanted to check it out lots of old buildings there and around town old homes etc mines

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
yeah it's for detecting panning for gold is free as far as i know and i have seen and heard of people detecting around old shasta maybe on the outskirts though i always wanted to check it out lots of old buildings there and around town old homes etc mines

Hmmm, come summer, I might pay the $5 to detect Wiskeytown.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,
This doens'nt apply to this thread, but seeing how you are in the Shasta area, Check it out. On our last trip through the area we came across a vietnam memorial on the road from klamath falls to shasta (Maybe Yreka? Can't remember)
It is an all volunteer memorial and the art work is outstanding. Check it out if you are in the area.

HH
Steve

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Big Frank, who says you can't detect at historic places in CA? I detect them all the time :-* If you talked to some select archies, they might try to tell you that md'ing is outlawed EVERYWHERE, but the truth of the matter is, unless you're snooping around some obvious historic monument, or being a nuisance, sticking out, etc... you'll be ok. Yeah, I probably wouldn't whip out the detector for the Shasta area ruins that sit right off the heavily trafficked road, if there were an archie convention going on at that exact moment next door. But for an old foundation out in the back-country, or more innocuous ruins at discreet times, I've never ran into a problem.

There also various levels of "government" land in CA. There's federally owned, state owned, county owned, and city owned. So it would depend on what level you're talking about. And even within those various levels, you sometimes have to dig real deep to try to find something that applies. And even when you think you've found something about "antiquities" or whatever, they would only apply to something older. Like, if you tell them you were only looking for modern change, or that "boyscout ring you just lost", those would be different matters. I guess it's kind of like picking your nose: If you ask someone if you can do it, they'll tell you "no".

If you don't wander around sensitive ruins at wrong times, making a mess, you'll be ok. Also, there's lots of private property (ranches, cow pastures, fallow row crops, etc...) that had old sites on them (stage stops, 1-room schools, old picnic spots, etc..) so the list is endless of where you can research out to hunt.

big frank

Greenie
Mar 2, 2008
Tom_in_CA said:
Big Frank, who says you can't detect at historic places in CA? I detect them all the time :-* If you talked to some select archies, they might try to tell you that md'ing is outlawed EVERYWHERE, but the truth of the matter is, unless you're snooping around some obvious historic monument, or being a nuisance, sticking out, etc... you'll be OK. Yeah, I probably wouldn't whip out the detector for the Shasta area ruins that sit right off the heavily trafficked road, if there were an archie convention going on at that exact moment next door. But for an old foundation out in the back-country, or more innocuous ruins at discreet times, I've never ran into a problem.

There also various levels of "government" land in CA. There's federally owned, state owned, county owned, and city owned. So it would depend on what level you're talking about. And even within those various levels, you sometimes have to dig real deep to try to find something that applies. And even when you think you've found something about "antiquities" or whatever, they would only apply to something older. Like, if you tell them you were only looking for modern change, or that "boyscout ring you just lost", those would be different matters. I guess it's kind of like picking your nose: If you ask someone if you can do it, they'll tell you "no".

If you don't wander around sensitive ruins at wrong times, making a mess, you'll be ok. Also, there's lots of private property (ranches, cow pastures, fallow row crops, etc...) that had old sites on them (stage stops, 1-room schools, old picnic spots, etc..) so the list is endless of where you can research out to hunt.

When I was researching local ordinances, I ran across some state laws and one of them had to do with historical monuments. I think if it's on the state register, then it's not okay to do anything there that would remove anything. Additionally, there was some regulations on certain state and federal land, including forest land.

And if you have to be "discrete" about going to sites, then you probably shouldn't be there. Just because it's not posted, doesn't mean it's okay to go there.

handyman213

Jul 6, 2011
hi all im new to this forum and M/D'n & prospecting! i see some of you are from redding area looking to find others to hunt with! lemme no jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread