Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    Oct 2007
    4

    shasta county

    Any tips on where to go in shasta county for detecting coin etc?? Website?? new to the hobby and need all the help I can get.
    thanks in advance
    woodrea71

  2. #2

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6,118
    1780 times
    Banner Finds (3)

    Re: shasta county

    Try going to the Kinzli California forum. Get to the main page (gotta sign up, but it's easy), and float your question there. There may be some northern CA forumites there. But off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone north of about the Sonoma county line. There is a Eureka guy though, that I know of. Your area (Shasta county), is just not very populated, so as to have very many hunters (that are on forums anyhow). But that can be a good thing, as it means you might have less hunted sites

    A friend of mine got a large cent and some seated coins next to the ruins of the old town of Shasta. You know, those old foundations and crumbling walls preserved right off the roadway. Not sure exactly where he got them, in relation to the visible preserved ruins. That was years ago too. Welcome aboard. Post your finds!
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  3. #3

    Oct 2007
    4

    Re: shasta county

    Hey, I appreciate the tip! I actually have a line on an old abandoned store that was the main supply house for travelers from shasta to cottonwood etc. sounds like a good place to start. I will keep you posted if and when I find anything.
    thanks woodreau71

  4. #4
    us
    "In the pursuit of history and treasure"

    May 2007
    cottonwood ca
    CHEAP MODEL
    45

    Re: shasta county

    Hey Woodreau i live in cottonwood i know a few places and there is a metal detecting and gold panning club in redding, There is quite a bit of history in Shasta county but you have to find out if it's legal to detect in most of them email me and i'll let you know more

  5. #5
    us
    Jan 2008
    FAR NOR CAL
    Whites Xlt Minelab Safari
    118

    Re: shasta county

    Quote Originally Posted by woodreau71
    Any tips on where to go in shasta county for detecting coin etc?? Website?? new to the hobby and need all the help I can get.
    thanks in advance
    woodrea71
    i live in redding and i go out almost every other day and i seem to find something. i have found hundreds of silver coins, mostly dimes but anyway i always look for old homesteads or yards because the parks here are mostly worked out ,,still looking for places to goor let me know and we will go searching together..good luck
    OLDEST COIN FOUND METAL DETECTING IS 1836 LIBERTY CAP QUARTER

  6. #6

    Mar 2008
    11

    Re: shasta county

    Hey guys, Im in Red Bluff and just got started. Would like to find some good places other than the local parks. Anyone a member of the local Redding club?

    Frank

  7. #7
    us
    "In the pursuit of history and treasure"

    May 2007
    cottonwood ca
    CHEAP MODEL
    45

    Re: shasta county

    I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT JOINING HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO IT BUT IT'S GOOD GROUP $50 FOR FAMILY MEMBERSHIP I THINK AND THEY GO ON A LOT OF PANNING TRIPS AND DETECTING PLUS LOTS OF RAFFLES THEY HAVE PROPERTY UP IN TRINITY COUNTY SO BRING PLENTY OF WATER AND LUNCH

  8. #8

    Mar 2008
    11

    Re: shasta county

    Quote Originally Posted by ncali_treasurehunter
    I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT JOINING HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO IT BUT IT'S GOOD GROUP $50 FOR FAMILY MEMBERSHIP I THINK AND THEY GO ON A LOT OF PANNING TRIPS AND DETECTING PLUS LOTS OF RAFFLES THEY HAVE PROPERTY UP IN TRINITY COUNTY SO BRING PLENTY OF WATER AND LUNCH
    Went to their meeting on Friday night and their spegetti feed the next day. Pretty good group. Probably will join.

    Are you in Redding? Where di you detect mostly?

    Frank

  9. #9
    us
    "In the pursuit of history and treasure"

    May 2007
    cottonwood ca
    CHEAP MODEL
    45

    Re: shasta county

    I live in cottonwood. i mainly take it with me fishing and if it looks like could be something there i will check it out quick. first time i went out was by whiskeytown lake at Carr powerhouse and went trout fishing took the md with me for the heck of it and was walking through the woods and thing went nuts i got all excited and dug a little hole was an old tin can so i thought maybe someone hid money but no luck so i started to give up and noticed glass and with further investigation walked away with almost a dozen antique medicine bottles so it was exciting but didn't realize i could've gotten in trouble by fish and game probably for mding on gvmnt land but it was my 1st time out so lucky i guess. you can go to lost treasure.com and will help you with more spots hit me up again soon maybe we can find some spots to check out

  10. #10

    Mar 2008
    11

    Re: shasta county

    Quote Originally Posted by ncali_treasurehunter
    I live in cottonwood. i mainly take it with me fishing and if it looks like could be something there i will check it out quick. first time i went out was by whiskeytown lake at Carr powerhouse and went trout fishing took the md with me for the heck of it and was walking through the woods and thing went nuts i got all excited and dug a little hole was an old tin can so i thought maybe someone hid money but no luck so i started to give up and noticed glass and with further investigation walked away with almost a dozen antique medicine bottles so it was exciting but didn't realize i could've gotten in trouble by fish and game probably for mding on gvmnt land but it was my 1st time out so lucky i guess. you can go to lost treasure.com and will help you with more spots hit me up again soon maybe we can find some spots to check out
    I'm not sure about MD'ing in the forest, but I have been told that you can't at Wiskytown proper, like Brandy Creek or Oak Bottom at the beaches.

    I bought a good book on where the old mine sites are in the area (actually all over Cali) at Olde West. Seems to be a good book, but hasn't been updated since 2003.

    Frank

  11. #11
    us
    "In the pursuit of history and treasure"

    May 2007
    cottonwood ca
    CHEAP MODEL
    45

    Re: shasta county

    Yeah forgot you can get a permit to detect at the visitors center up at the top should see
    where all you can try besides the beaches i know clear creek comes out down below whiskeytown and there is an old story of lost mormon gold coins somewhere close to there was lost in the late 1800's after gold was found here and the wagon tipped when clear creek was flooding anyways in 1910 an old prospector found 1 coin in his sluice box so it would be settled at the bottom but they were private mint so worth even more money believe then it was 20,000 gold now worth 1 million

  12. #12

    Mar 2008
    11

    Re: shasta county

    Quote Originally Posted by ncali_treasurehunter
    Yeah forgot you can get a permit to detect at the visitors center up at the top should see
    where all you can try besides the beaches i know clear creek comes out down below whiskeytown and there is an old story of lost mormon gold coins somewhere close to there was lost in the late 1800's after gold was found here and the wagon tipped when clear creek was flooding anyways in 1910 an old prospector found 1 coin in his sluice box so it would be settled at the bottom but they were private mint so worth even more money believe then it was 20,000 gold now worth 1 million
    Hmm, so you checked on detecting at Wiskeytown? Where do you get a permit? And is it only good for MD'ing at the visitor center at the top of the hill?

  13. #13
    us
    "In the pursuit of history and treasure"

    May 2007
    cottonwood ca
    CHEAP MODEL
    45

    Re: shasta county

    you can get it at the visitors center it is 5 or 10 dollars and i know it's good for the oak bottom and brandy creek beaches but not sure of what else like if it covers the whole recreation area or just beaches but it would be cool if it covered everything. i have been wanting to go up through old shasta to check out an old wells fargo stagecoach robbery
    80,000 in gold bars stolen 40,000 buried up there somewhere and i know the vicinity kind of because in certain areas it's cliffs on one side so would have to be up in the hills few hundred yards west off the road i think but blm owns it so could only drive and check it out

  14. #14

    Mar 2008
    11

    Re: shasta county

    Quote Originally Posted by ncali_treasurehunter
    you can get it at the visitors center it is 5 or 10 dollars and i know it's good for the oak bottom and brandy creek beaches but not sure of what else like if it covers the whole recreation area or just beaches but it would be cool if it covered everything. i have been wanting to go up through old shasta to check out an old wells fargo stagecoach robbery
    80,000 in gold bars stolen 40,000 buried up there somewhere and i know the vicinity kind of because in certain areas it's cliffs on one side so would have to be up in the hills few hundred yards west off the road i think but blm owns it so could only drive and check it out
    I'm curious. is the permit specifically for metal detecting?

    I'm sure you couldn't detect in Old Shasta as it's a historical site, and as I understand it, you can't detect in any historical site in California.

  15. #15
    us
    "In the pursuit of history and treasure"

    May 2007
    cottonwood ca
    CHEAP MODEL
    45

    Re: shasta county

    yeah it's for detecting panning for gold is free as far as i know and i have seen and heard of people detecting around old shasta maybe on the outskirts though i always wanted to check it out lots of old buildings there and around town old homes etc mines

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

gold panning in shasta county

,

lost treasures in shasta county

,

metal detecting at shasta lake

,

metal detecting rules in tehema co

,

metal detecting shasta county

,

metal detector at shasta lake

,

places to metal detect in redding ca

,

shasta county gold history

,

where to metal detect in shasta county

,
where to sluice box in shasta lake california
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3