Stagecoach trail from Simi VAlley to San Fernando Valley

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wish I had been into MDing when I lived in California. I used to live in Sunset Hills, just over the hill from Simi Valley. Up on the old Joel McCrea ranch. On McCrea Rd, above the country club golf course. You could see the lights of Simi Valley from my back door at night. Good luck in your hunt.

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I drive thru Sunset hills every day on the way to work and back. I know there used to be an old cemetary called Olson Cemetary somewhere in that area but have yet to find it. I saw it on an old map.

natro120

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I am new (or newly returning) to MDing. I am planning on checking out Corriganville within the next couple. I lived in Simi for 18 years and recently moved to Thousand Oaks. I have hiked, ran, and camped Corriganville many times and know there is a bit of history in that spot cinsidering the stage that used to pass through and the old corriganville western town that used to be there. I am excited to hit it up and see if there are any lingering treasures from that era.

Tapout have you found anything about the old Olsen cemetary? I would love to look into that.

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived on McCrea Rd. in Sunset Hills. The road was named after Joel McCrea the old actor. The land that my subdivison was on was at one time his old ranch. When we were kids we used to run around the empty fields back behind our house and there was still the old fence and posts running through the area from the ranch. I will look into the Olsen Cemetery. I remember readiing about it in one of my books or print outs. As soon as I find something on it I will post it here for you all.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, you guys all seem to be a bunch of easy going fellows. Especially letting another fellow know where to hunt a possible good site. I lived in Bishop, up Highway 395 aways, for about 28 years. Lots of metal detecting in the Bishop area. My brother still lives there, he has MD for over 30 years. He just bought an X-70 on my insistence and found a 1899 half-dollar yesterday within 1/2 mile of the city limits. It was his first time out with the dang thing. Anyway, if you guys ever wander up around Bishop drop me a PM and I will give you some detailed instructions to enough places to keep you going for a few days.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Johnnycat:
My next trek will take me up White Mountain.
Anything in that area or in route (from the south)?
Don........

Probably but not that we know of. We did all our, "stuff" 1-2 miles South of Bishop to about 10 miles North. I kind of know a guy in Independence but, he was never open at all to discussing where he went. Of course there is Ft. Independence just as you are leaving Indpen. headed North. As you leave town before you hit the 4 lane highway look at about 2 o'clock and you will see several small groves of trees of locust trees(I think) about 1/2 mile from the highway. Like I said probably 200-300 yds before the 4 lane starts there will be a right hand turn. As a matter of fact If I remember correctly the road sign says Ft. Independence Rd.. I think there was also a historical marker somewhere in that area. Anyway when you take the turn-off just look in an Easterly direction and you will see the rows and bunches of trees I'm talking about. If you take the right road (hard not too) you can drive right in amongst the trees. The area has been hit pretty hard over the years and there is a lot of junk. When you take that turn off the highway you have to look to the right for the trees and if you continue up the road you will go over a deep arroyo. When you go across the arroyo you will very quickly be on an Indian reservation. Turn back, you've gone to far. Also, make sure of where you are going up the White Mts. My nephew tells me that it is locked up tighter than a drum. Many, many roads closed off. You can thank Senator Boxer. If you are going to go to Bishop drop me another PM and we'll talk

John

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Thanks Jonnycat! I actually get up there fairly often. I've been using google earth to locate some old homesites in the area to search. I think you told me of the place you are speaking of last year. Was it an old ranch home that is no longer standing you are talking about?
Last April I spent a day hunting the mountains next to Mono lake and found many old bullets and trash. I found what I think is an old mine as well. I didn;t venture in though as it was getting late.

GoldHobby

Feb 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an ancient thread, but I'm curious if anyone ever found anything in this area. I live in Simi as well and thinking about buying a gold bug 2 to try and find small nuggets and I'm looking for good spots in the Simi Valley or Moorpark area. My parents got me into gold panning when I was little, but we fell on tough times and just stopped doing it. As far as metal detecting, I'm entirely new to it, so any help with pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciate. The reason I'm asking about this area is because I don't have alot of time to do this and before I jump in and commit to a purchase I want to be sure there is something near by that I can go out and do for an hour or so after work.

Thank you in advance

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Are you asking about nuggets and prospecting ? If so, I'm not into that venue of detecting.

But if you were asking about coins/relics : Yes, I've gotten old coins from So. CA stage stops. Eg.: seateds, reales, V's, even 2 gold coins. I plead the 5th as to which exact line/route though :)

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My friends and I used to walk thru the tunnel as well but we would wait inside for a train to come thru because there are "cubby holes" as we called them inside and you can stand in them as the train passed just two feet from you. It was loud and very cool as the train passed it was like standing in a wind tunnel.

I never thought of MDing in it though. Thats not a bad idea.

That's interesting, I grew up in Simi as well . It seems the train tunnel was pretty popular hangout for teens. Grew up there in in the 70's and 80's graduated from Royal in 84". I also rode motorcycles in Hopetown when it was just hills and brush. Even hiked up wht face and talked to some of the crew at the Little House on the prairie location. Lots of old memories of Simi.

Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy, you guys all seem to be a bunch of easy going fellows. Especially letting another fellow know where to hunt a possible good site. I lived in Bishop, up Highway 395 aways, for about 28 years. Lots of metal detecting in the Bishop area. My brother still lives there, he has MD for over 30 years. He just bought an X-70 on my insistence and found a 1899 half-dollar yesterday within 1/2 mile of the city limits. It was his first time out with the dang thing. Anyway, if you guys ever wander up around Bishop drop me a PM and I will give you some detailed instructions to enough places to keep you going for a few days.

Hey JC, Its been a few years since was there last but said the next time I go I would bring the detector. I know of an old cabin nearby that was recently leveled that looks interesting. Lots of history in the area.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I realize this is an ancient thread, but I'm curious if anyone ever found anything in this area. I live in Simi as well and thinking about buying a gold bug 2 to try and find small nuggets and I'm looking for good spots in the Simi Valley or Moorpark area. My parents got me into gold panning when I was little, but we fell on tough times and just stopped doing it. As far as metal detecting, I'm entirely new to it, so any help with pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciate. The reason I'm asking about this area is because I don't have alot of time to do this and before I jump in and commit to a purchase I want to be sure there is something near by that I can go out and do for an hour or so after work.

Thank you in advance

The gb2 is a gr8 detector and I'm sure Simi has gold but living in Ca I would head North to some richer deposits. Find some bedrock in a wash and use the gb2 to sniff out some color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread