Coins made into buttons,

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Californians,

Here's an interesting topic, Coins made into buttons.....The past year, I've recovered three coins that were modified into buttons. And not knowing had found one earlier about 4-5 years ago.

Three of them are silver coins the other an 1906 V-Nickel, The oldest of the silver coins is an 1843 1/4 reale and the two other an 1869 1/2 dime and an 1872 1/2 dime.

They range from three different era's, The reale is from the tale end of the mission era and two of the seated 1/2 dimes are about a decade away from the Butterfield stage stop era. The V-Nickel button comes in a bit later several years after the automotive, Two of the button finds came from the same location as well as other neat relics and old coins.

I've enclosed a picture of an 1857 map copy of California, Surprisingly it's darn good for research purposes.

Happy holidays everyone,
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 0001.JPG
    0001.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 547
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 00001.JPG
    00001.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 469

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang paul you do get around nice finds. 8)...aa

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds Paul.
Here is one I found a couple months ago.
It is made from a seated dime.
I had no Idea they did this but it must have been common back in those days.

Attachments

• 10-25-07 026.jpg
    10-25-07 026.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 10-25-07 020.jpg
    10-25-07 020.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 542
  • 10-25-07 026.jpg
    10-25-07 026.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 10-25-07 020.jpg
    10-25-07 020.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 420
OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Battery, Eric and Merf,

Hey Battery, Since you leave in Fresno you have allot of old places to detect. That used to be one of my stomping grounds, Pulled allot of silver coins from there.

Eric, I'll try to make you a full size color copy of the map in the future. Has some interesting stuff on there, I have another map (somewhere?) with more information, Can't seem to find it at the moment and it has that old trail I was telling you about that shot from Pacheco pass down too Dog town and then to your Willow Lone tree stage stop.

That's when Los Banos wasn't even around...Actually, Neither was Dog town and Lone Tree was the only settlement around.

Merf, That is a cool seated button you found. If one detects long enough they are not as uncommon as it would appear, I have noticed mine are coming from areas of the wild west or in areas the Mexican Vaqueros ventured into.

Thanks again gang and best wishes to all!
Paul (Ca)

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in ceres not to far from los banos, man I love to get a copy of your map too, only if you want to and where is dog town at, love to go and MDing there.

JC

Old California said:
Thanks Battery, Eric and Merf,

Hey Battery, Since you leave in Fresno you have allot of old places to detect. That used to be one of my stomping grounds, Pulled allot of silver coins from there.

Eric, I'll try to make you a full size color copy of the map in the future. Has some interesting stuff on there, I have another map (somewhere?) with more information, Can't seem to find it at the moment and it has that old trail I was telling you about that shot from Pacheco pass down too Dog town and then to your Willow Lone tree stage stop.

That's when Los Banos wasn't even around...Actually, Neither was Dog town and Lone Tree was the only settlement around.

Merf, That is a cool seated button you found. If one detects long enough they are not as uncommon as it would appear, I have noticed mine are coming from areas of the wild west or in areas the Mexican Vaqueros ventured into.

Thanks again gang and best wishes to all!
Paul (Ca)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi Paul. Thanx for the post. I've found love-token-coins, holed coins, but never a button-coin. Nice going! Tells more of a "story" than a non-altered coin would tell. A fellow I know that's found well over 100 reales in CA (you know him), once told me he'd rather find a holed or altered reale, than a non-altered one, simply because it told much more story/nostalgia.

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Dude and Tom,

Dude, I'll keep you in mind when I make copies of this map. Just remind me once in a while as I tend to get busy with other stuff.

Tom, Yeah! I know who you're talking about and remember him well when he pulled out that seated quarter from a Butterfield stage stop the four of hiked into. And, I remember he had that beat up Whites 6000 Di-Pro SL :) By the way, Do you still have his Di-Pro? That detector belongs in a museum with the amount of stuff it's found...I hope he's doing well, I wish the best for him and his family.

Tom, You've done well yourself. Thanks for dropping by and see you soon.

HH, Paul

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, I sold that 6000 Di pro. I had sent it off to Whites to be re-furbished, as it had SO many hours, that you could scarcely read the words on the sides anymore! ;D Once I got it back from the Whites Co. checkover, I sold it. And yes, I warned the guy who bought it, to treat it with respect, as it had been all over the world, found gold coins, and been to places that would make your toes curl up with awe! :o

When you get that map copied off, save a copy for me. If it's too big for a standard xerox machine, blue-print shops can copy off bigger things like that. Hope to see you down this way on 12/28 or 12/29, if you still want to do some hunting along the coast with Eric.

Boxtopp

Jul 11, 2004
Lake county Ca
Detector(s) used
Se mxt tiger shark
Old California said:

Paul, I would be very interested obtaining a copy, matter of fact please let me know the price and I shall mail it to you asap. I am vey interested to take a look at any maps you have regarding this area and a little west of me.
Talk to you later, Eric

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions