Ever have those days when its iron only......

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Ever have those days when it's iron only......

Got invited to detect an old pre-1892 farm site with a friend, Mark called last week so we set aside a day we both could detect together.

Using an old map of the area and by foot we finally located the site digging up allot of iron signals trying to figure out the precise location of the farm. The site may date back even earlier but we know it's at least 1892, Took us a while to locate the iron and when we did boy did the iron leap out by the buckets full.

A few of you may wonder (why dig iron?) We dig iron when trying to locate an old settlement or an old structure, An abundance of square nails in a particular area is one of the several indicators we use to determine if we are in the right location. So, Even though we may dig a square nail here or there we don't stop digging iron signals until we hear a constant blanket of iron which generally puts us in the right area.

No old coins surfaced and locating the site was a find in itself, Those that locate old settlements or long ago lost structures know what I mean. Anyhow, This forgotten farm house had allot of iron and from the surface the area looked like a Norman Rockwell painting without a hint of anything ever being there. Just a mountain with winter grass swaying in the wind, Nature at it's best.

Happy New years everyone!
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 237

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Ever have those days when it's iron only......

Paul, you are a patient man indeed (digging iron? sheesk). Sure it's indicative of "being in the right spot of human influence". So I'll just listen to the low iron tone, be informed that I'm in a habitation spot, and leave the iron right there in the ground :)

Got 2 more Spanish reales (1781 and 1786) at the spot I last took you to, when you were here on the coast. Brent got 2 reale also. They'll be on the Kinzli forum in the next week or so.

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California

Thanks Tom,

Being a patient person is important for locating old settlements or long ago structures, Somehow the older I get the more patience I have :)

Darn Tom, You and Brent did good that night. Glad to see Brent get another reale to make up for that trip down south at the old stage stop :)

See you soon and save me a seat at church will you :)

Thanks again, Paul (Ca)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

No. That’s because I avoid iron like the pledge. But I would use the same tactic as you to find a site that had little or no visible sings of being there.

HH :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread