Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Feb 2007
    homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250

Does gold tarnish?

I've always herd that gold doesn't tarnish.But I also herd that gold nuggets turn brown.then I herd that gold gets copper colared in sand.Can someone
    help?

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    231 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Does gold tarnish?

I'm no expert, but.
    Gold doesn't tarnish. If you see gold with a tarnished LOOK, it'll be from whatever metal the gold is alloyed with.
    Gold nuggets are not pure. Other materials are mixed in during its formation--including any brown or black crusty coatings.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    738 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

"pure gold" does not tarnish---- however nuggets found in the wild are not pure thats why they need to be refined * what makes nuggets tarnished looking or other odd colors is other metals and minerals that mixed up with it (impurites) --- Ivan

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    42 times

If gold lays on the surface of some soils it will in time get coated with trace minerals. These trace minerals in turn can turn odd colors.

For example Pegleg's black nuggets
    The black coating is actually what some call desert varnish. if the nugets are cleaned or even carried in a pocket for long they loose the black coating and become golden in color once again.

Hope this helps.

Mineral content can also turn gold red or green or bluish and even purple. Look at black hills gold, many colors, but no tarnish.

OD
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

Feb 2007
    homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250

Thanks
    I was painfully aware of that the hard way when i gave away a nugget
    that I found in a hunt near Ransburg in the Mojave desert

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    924 times

Some lessons learned are learned the hard way...write that one lesson off as 'fools gold' and move on...
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

Ant
    us
    Aug 2006
    Cali
    Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
    6 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Pure gold does not tarnish under normal conditions, even gold laying on the surface does not tarnish. However, alloyed gold can sort of tarnish but rarely does and when it does it cleans up fairly easily. Raw nuggets are a different story.

That's my experience.

Feb 2007
    N OC CA
    Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
    2 times

A 22 kt gold ring will turn my Wife's finger green like a cheap copper ring, but white gold won't. There is some electrolysis going on there but it doesn't discolor the gold only what contacts the gold. Gold can also be cleaned to brighten it up so there is some surface discoloration. My opinion is that yes it oxidises but very slowly as compared to other non ferrous metals.
    Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is.

Sponsors