Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
tapoutking:

I'd go to Little Lake, California. Today it's nothing. 100 years ago it was on a rail line that was along side the highway. About 50 years ago, it was touted, by land developers as the next Palm Springs. Then Spade Cooley (C and W band and singer) got involved around 1960, but he, too, failed.He was in the Bob Wills and Roy Rogers generation. (Read his bio and you'll get some interesting history.) In the later 60s, the hippies got into the abandoned place (hotel). It wasn't until just a few years ago that the properties were torn town, but no improvements have been made to the land. Today, the foundations are all that is left.

There is an exit on 395 clearly marked "Little Lake" but nothing is there. Most of the improvements (store, hotel, etc.) were on the West side of 395. The site reference below shows some pics of how it used to be--and can be easily used as a reference to the location of all the buildings.

The water on the east side of the road is "Little Lake"; part of the Owens Lake waterway--or some such title. There is another building further north, on the east side that may have some history, but I've never stopped there. It sits way back off 395 near the 'river'.

How do I know? In 1963, two years after Cooley killed his wife, I foreclosed on this Little Lake property that Spade had put up as collateral for a loan he took out at the bank I was working at in LA.

Don.......
Two sources:
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/littlelake.html
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/celebrity/spade_cooley/index.html

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Hey Tapout, a little off subject here,but did you ever make to the stage trail I gave you directions to,if so, did you locate the military look-out point..Their are lots of good hunting places off 395, some areas are military restricted bombing ranges,have to check maps.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your coordinates are in the Little Lake area. Google Earth will give you good pics of the general location. Scan north on 395 to Fossil Falls. If you can find the way to get back there, you'll be where people have been for thousands of years.
Don...
Fossil Falls about 35.58 X 117.54

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I was looking at google earth and fouond that spot and was wondering what it was I was looking at. Looked like maybe foundations.
I saw that fossil falls area. Would it be ok to detect there? I'm sure I can get to it.

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Do any detecting on Whitney? I've hiked it twice to the top years ago. I wonder if there is anything up there. You would think that it would be a great place for someone to bury a cache or two.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in New Mexico now, however...you should try the beach area of June Lake itself. Sorry i can't give you directions but it shouldn't be hard to find. Try the gas station just as you leave Hwy. 395 and turn toward June Lake for directions. Lots of snow up there right now. Also, if you have time try the surrounding areas of the Laws museum. You can't hunt the museum area itself but, you can the area around it. Laws is on Hwy 6 about 5-7 miles North of Bishop. Turn right after you cross the Owens River, you can't miss it. The beach at June Lake has been a party and sunbathing place for more years than I can recall. I lived in Bishop for 26 years. Never ventured North out of the valley to go detecting, too many places around Bishop itself. PM me if you would like some areas around Bishop to detect.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Mackaydon, yes, Keough's hot springs is still there. Kinda been picked over, but, what does that mean? As you approach Keough's from Hwy 395 look to your right and you will see power lines headed to Bishop. Turn right, in that area and follow the power line road to a bunch of huge salt cedars that will be on the right side of the power road. Get out there. Used to be some houses there. An old friend in Bishop found several old coins right in that area. Also, just before you get to the Keough's housing look to your right and you will see the last house. From the last house, look down that soft hill and you should be able to see some old foundations there. We hit that once in between spots but, didn't find anything. Probably should have spent more time there. Also check with management about hunting around the little houses (shacks) on the right side of the road just before you turn left to the swimming pool area. By the way, my wife's family lived in one of them shacks in 1948. Lastly, after you leave Keough's and get back on Hwy 395, North, start looking ahead and you will see a ranch on the right side. On the left side of the highway at that point you should see a marshy area and some trees. There used to be a ranch right there. I believe the present marsh used to be the ranch pond. We only went there once and found some old,old shotguns cases. That's another place we should really hunted better. I can send you to tons of places, let me know.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tap:
I hope you read the above message from johnnycat-- directed to me; he really is responding more to your request--but the information is good just in case I get beyond Lone Pine in August.
Don,...........

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
johnnycat, I see the hot springs (i'm looking at google earth) and i think I see the areas you are talking about. Now if I go up 395 north a little further I see the Ranch on the right and the little patch of trees across the highway so I am assuming this is the spot you are talking about. Now, it is right below Wilkerson, is that town still inhabited? Whats the story behind that place?

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right on the mark!!!! Wilkerson area is still inhabited, lots of, 'stay off my property folks'. Wilkerson started as a place to set up a trailer if you couldn't afford a house in Bishop. Still lots of old trailers there we a few large , very nice homes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread